• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    folks,

I stopped by and looked at a few .22 bolt guns and wanted to know what some options I should look at are. I looked at the Savage target and the CZ military trainer. What are your opinions and are there others I should look at? The final decision will be made by how they fit my boys age 11 and 13. We have 10/22's, marlin 60's and lever .22's but no bolt guns for them. they started shooting with a rifle club and they want to practice more at home.

Thanks for the info

Steve

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    It depends on your budget. I have a Savage Mark II that is a great little shooter. I think itas like $110 from Wally world. I do regret not getting the accutrigger. I have done some mods to help it but its not accutrigger. I know they make it that way but your up around $200.

brettwp

Dec 22, 2009
    North East, MD
    Just me, but I think there is just something romantic about an old single shot 22 with iron sights. The rifle I started with I think might have been a Wincheser, it had the cocking mechinism where you pulled the pin back, in the back of the bolt. JMHO

Udon

Dec 2, 2012
    Columbia
    I have the Savage Mark II and it is a great rifle and accurate. Accutrigger is nice. Also you can try Marlin XT22. Marlin also have their copy version of Accutrigger called "ProTrigget" or something like that.

Kimbery single shot match rifle is very good too and very accurate.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I've got a Marlin XT22. Got it from Dicks last year for $189 if I remember right. Sights are slightly off on mine, but it groups well. I intend to add tech sights eventually.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Mine are 8 and 11, I have a Marlin 795 and XT22, both are a bit big for them. The Savage Rascal fits them fine, is small and very light. Both are comfortable with it.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a savage mkII and like my friends cz better. Ive also had some problems with the accutrigger getting stuck in place recently :sad20:

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I bought a Savage Mk II just because I wanted an inexpensive bolt-action rifle for a suppressor host. I've been pleasantly surprised with it. It's a great rifle to teach with. It probably won't win any competition shoots but it doesn't cost a lot of money either. I think I paid $90 for it on sale a few years ago at Dicks.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Just me, but I think there is just something romantic about an old single shot 22 with iron sights. The rifle I started with I think might have been a Wincheser, it had the cocking mechinism where you pulled the pin back, in the back of the bolt. JMHO

I have one. Winchester Model 68. Work of art.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I wish I could find a cheap (~$100) bolt or lever action .22.

im probably going to be putting my savage mkII on the classifieds tommorow after I take pictures of it. It also has problems ejecting spent shells (have to flick them out with my finger sometimes). Im not sure what to ask for it yet but i dont think it will be that much.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I bought a S&W MP15-22 for my son largely for the adjustable stock. We slide it forward for him and I can adjust length of pull for me too. I'm looking for an inexpensive bolt gun too.

xonid

Jan 28, 2009
    CalCo
    Bought a Savage MK II FV-SR for my 8 yr old. Fit's him fine. Had a issue with the new magazine but it seemed to resolved itself.

I would've loved to have a single shot adapter for it.. but looks like the internet source for that dried up. single shot is doable, just not a smooth operation.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I have a marlin xt-22tr. Love it, threw some tech sights on it, and it's a sweet shooter. Handles shorts, longs, and lr. Which is a bit helpful right now considering nothing is in stock right now.

afree1

Rimfire Fan
    Jan 25, 2013
    Hagerstown Area
    Your budget is usually the primary factor, imo. The CZ 452 or 455 is the best (new) bolt gun for the money, in terms of accuracy and reliability. Depending on the size of your boys, the CZ Scout could be an excellent option, and they could be bought new for in the 2 hundreds, at least before the recent madness began. My wife, who is under 5 ft tall, has one and loves it! It will shoot 5 shot groups that can be covered with a dime, at 50 yards.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Accutrigger Savage or adjustable trigger CZ. Some of the CZ's are almost too beautiful to shoot. If money is no object maybe Number or Cooper but you gain nothing but a name IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom