• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Can anyone recommend me a decent .22 double action revolver? I handled a tarus tracker 922 in a shop the other day and was surprised by how good it felt. If the internet hadnt told me so many bad things about tarus in general I would have bought it. Is tarus really that bad?

Besides tarus, smith and the ruger sp101 do I even have any other options for a .22 double action?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If you ask my favorite I dont think there is any replacement for the H&R Sportsman or 999. Out of production but plenty on the market. Gotta love a breaktop and if you get one made more than 50 years ago its a C&R so no HQL stuff.

All things considered a Ruger SP101 would be my number one choice of the new makes.

The Taurus 922's or the smaller (and more appropriately sized frame) 94s are decent guns a little rough around the edges and need some trigger work but they function.

Generally they get avoided like the plague but if you are looking for cheap and beatable I got a Charter Arms Pathfinder 22/22 Mag combo a year ago. Sure its potmetal, its got plastic sights but it runs well and is very accurate for a $320 gun with dual cylinders. Not an heirloom gun but seems good enough for the tacklebox.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's .22 WMR not .22lr but this S&W 351 is an awesome little revolver. Have you thought about a Ruger LCR in .22?

Attachments

• 100_0200.jpg
      100_0200.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 323

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    It's .22 WMR not .22lr but this S&W 351 is an awesome little revolver. Have you thought about a Ruger LCR in .22?
    They look cool but im not sure that id have much fun shooting such a small revolver. If I actually handled one in person I might change my mind

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The S&W 617 is the current production king of the full-sized .22 DA/SA revolvers. I eventually sold mine but found the weapon to be accurate, well built and fired even the cheapest bulk junk with no problems at all.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The S&W 617 is the current production king of the full-sized .22 DA/SA revolvers. I eventually sold mine but found the weapon to be accurate, well built and fired even the cheapest bulk junk with no problems at all.

Yes it does!:D I have purchased 2 more to fill in as training guns. They have smooth actions and are second to none in fit and finish.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    They also look REALLY nice with Hogue wooden grips, don't they?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    They also look REALLY nice with Hogue wooden grips, don't they?

They do. But I had to change them for my students. The Hogue wooden grips were a little big for some of them. I switched them out for a set of Hogue rubber grips for the round but frame.

This gun is the perfect complement to my 686 which has the same barrel length and grips.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Im perfectly willing to spend big money on a 617 if I feel like its a pistol I will own for the rest of my life like my ruger mkII. But not that many places even sell them new let alone at a fair price. Does smith not make these very often? They seem incredibly popular on the internet considering how few of them actually seem to be around anymore.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I have seen a new 617 at Continental in the last week.
    I didn't look at the price.
    I have an older 17-2 and the 617 6" and they are awesome revolvers. My brother has a newTaurus which I haven't had a chance to shoot yet.
    I have the SP101 on my next buy list.
    DocAitch

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Im perfectly willing to spend big money on a 617 if I feel like its a pistol I will own for the rest of my life like my ruger mkII. But not that many places even sell them new let alone at a fair price. Does smith not make these very often? They seem incredibly popular on the internet considering how few of them actually seem to be around anymore.

They are in high demand. Grabagun.com carries them at a reasonable price.
    Put in the request to be notified when they're back in stock and pounce when you get the email.
    That's what I did. Love my 617.

And don't let some IP snow you that it's a $900 gun.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    just get a Simth & Wesson it is a real nice pistol . It is money well spent you won't be sorry.
    STAY AWAY FROM TARUS

Thats a little excessive, I am certainly no Taurus defender they have turned out their share of boners. But the vast majority work well, even though they are a little course. Depends what you want it for and budget.

A S&W or SP101 is a fine gun (and S&W is the better of the two) but if you are budget limited or expect to beat it around a little bit a Taurus isnt a bad choice. Mine has run fine, now the lever guns I really have had to tweak but once I get them set-up they are fantastic.

Still sticking up for the o'l 999! Not mine but an indicative example

8975H_R_999.jpg

Personally I am still looking for a 4" that is old enough to be C&R

Smith K-frame is the gold standard. 617 is the current model. K-22 (M-17 6", M-18 4") even better. If you go for one of them, stay away from the current production "Classic" line, if possible. Nothing really wrong with them, but they've got the internal lock and some MIM parts. Older production is nicer, but expect to pay at least new gun prices for a nice example. Nice M-17s, $700 and up, nice M-18s, add at least $100. But mine's smooth as silk, and unbelievably accurate after 57 years.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have an old S&W 1948 6" K-22 Masterpiece and a S&W 4" m-63 (J-frame). Both are very nice guns. Both accurate and have stock actions. The action of the K-22 is much nicer, of course.

I bought the 63 as a less expensive DA practice gun. A little more recoil than the K-22 and a shorter sight radius. Both attributes work well to train the DA finger. I do have Pachmyers on this since the standard stocks are skimpy at best.

While I like both, the 63 is my favorite of the two. For sheer target or match work my MkII is more appropriate than the K-22. The 63 also fits well in my hip pocket for a walk-about. If you are a Ruger fan the 4" SP 101 would serve as well.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    .22lr revolver

Smith K-frame is the gold standard. 617 is the current model. K-22 (M-17 6", M-18 4") even better. If you go for one of them, stay away from the current production "Classic" line, if possible. Nothing really wrong with them, but they've got the internal lock and some MIM parts. Older production is nicer, but expect to pay at least new gun prices for a nice example. Nice M-17s, $700 and up, nice M-18s, add at least $100. But mine's smooth as silk, and unbelievably accurate after 57 years.

YES!!! :thumbsup: The Smith and Wesson K-22 is what I am waiting to get...it is about #3 on my next purchase list...but then....the list has been stagnant since losing my fulltime job...hahahahahaha I shot one years ago and just fell in love with that gun. Smooth, accurate as all get out, and just....feels great!! Big..but....not too big.!! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Two favorites in my 22LR collection are the H&R 999 and Colt Police Positive Target. Both are beauties in person. I like the H&R the best. The Colt is better made. The H&R is simple to fix if need be. Both have excellent factory DA triggers. Most new 22LR revolvers come up short compared to examples in nice shape from the 1950s and earlier. Another vintage one on my short list is the 6" S&W K-22.

Stay FAR away from Taurus rimfire revolvers. The triggers are awful. Quality control is very spotty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom