• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Hardly. It's been an issue with Midway's notification system for years. Since 2012 at least. But, hey, open up that roll of tinfoil, apply liberally, and enjoy.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    bass pro has minimags and super x around closing time last night, not sure about today

stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    BPS had CCI mini mags and standard velocity as of 11:00 today.
    100 rds Mini mags for $8.00
    50 rds standard velocity for $4.00
    1 box each per customer though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Same issue here 20 minutes ago. I run my own email server and it received a Mini-Mag in-stock notification email from Midway at 11:50a, without any challenge bounces or other delivery delays. IMAP had the email in my local inbox within seconds. I clicked the link in the email seconds later and the ammo was out of stock. Makes me think Midway's notification system is sending out email on a staggered (time-delayed) basis, maybe based on who signed up for the notification first.

It's Midway.

I have seen .22 posted here, bought some, watched the progression of posts until out of stock. Then 3 - 4 HOURS later, got the email from them.

Yep, helpful.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Not enough :tinfoil: ther

Ever think some of the emails are sent even though the ammo may never have been available, just to get you to visit the site ;)

Got a reply from Midway- their explanation is that a receive scan of a SKU will trigger the email alert to go out whether they receive 1 case or 10 pallets. So if they get in a few cases that trigger half a million emails, well...
    It actually makes as much sense as tinfoil;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Got a reply from Midway- their explanation is that a receive scan of a SKU will trigger the email alert to go out whether they receive 1 case or 10 pallets. So if they get in a few cases that trigger half a million emails, well...

Yeah, that is why they have it in stock, and people are buying it over say 1 hour, then it goes out of stock.

THEN, 3 - 4 hours later, someone who actually managed to buy some, gets an email that says it is in stock.

How do they explain THAT??????

And this exact thing has happened to me.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Yeah, that is why they have it in stock, and people are buying it over say 1 hour, then it goes out of stock.

THEN, 3 - 4 hours later, someone who actually managed to buy some, gets an email that says it is in stock.

How do they explain THAT??????

And this exact thing has happened to me.
    I think it has happened to me, also- not trying to argue at all. But I will say that they likely have thousands of people on the email list, and some people probably get the emails well before others. I know I have sent 1 email to someone before and it took over an hour to reach them. Servers get bogged down I suppose. I don't do IT, so someone smarter than me will have to explain. Anyway, let's keep our eyes peeled and report any 22 sightings for the rest of the members. Can't ever have too much 22!!!

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I think it has happened to me, also- not trying to argue at all. But I will say that they likely have thousands of people on the email list, and some people probably get the emails well before others. I know I have sent 1 email to someone before and it took over an hour to reach them. Servers get bogged down I suppose. I don't do IT, so someone smarter than me will have to explain. Anyway, let's keep our eyes peeled and report any 22 sightings for the rest of the members. Can't ever have too much 22!!!

That last sentence is so true.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Wow, that's an effective way to run a business. Talk about customer satisfaction. Oh well, it's their story and I'm nothing more than a character.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Wow, that's an effective way to run a business. Talk about customer satisfaction. Oh well, it's their story and I'm nothing more than a character.
    Its the fair way to run the business. They can't help if your email gateway is running with high latency due to heavy traffic volume (that is IT speak for too much email trying to jam into a small pipe at the same time). Remember its traffic volume that determines most throughput issues. Plus if they scan the pallet at 7 AM CST for example, that means people on the West Coast, where it is only 5 AM, likely have much less email traffic and if they are awake they will get it first, especially compared to the East Coast where it will be 8 AM and everyone will be jumping into email at work around that time.
    As an example I recently got notified that Natchez had 36g Minimags in stock. I managed to pick up the limit, which was 5 boxes at $7.99 each + shipping. If I relied only on Midway I would not have near the amount of CCI I currently have.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Its the fair way to run the business. They can't help if your email gateway is running with high latency due to heavy traffic volume (that is IT speak for too much email trying to jam into a small pipe at the same time). Remember its traffic volume that determines most throughput issues. Plus if they scan the pallet at 7 AM CST for example, that means people on the West Coast, where it is only 5 AM, likely have much less email traffic and if they are awake they will get it first, especially compared to the East Coast where it will be 8 AM and everyone will be jumping into email at work around that time.
    As an example I recently got notified that Natchez had 36g Minimags in stock. I managed to pick up the limit, which was 5 boxes at $7.99 each + shipping. If I relied only on Midway I would not have near the amount of CCI I currently have.

Same issue here 20 minutes ago. I run my own email server and it received a Mini-Mag in-stock notification email from Midway at 11:50a, without any challenge bounces or other delivery delays. IMAP had the email in my local inbox within seconds. I clicked the link in the email seconds later and the ammo was out of stock. Makes me think Midway's notification system is sending out email on a staggered (time-delayed) basis, maybe based on who signed up for the notification first.

How do you explain this gentleman's plight? He received the email within seconds, seconds later he clicked on the link, but the ammo was out of stock. From what I read there, within less than 10 seconds, the ammo was sold out.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The email alert is going out in batches after it is triggered, and this is occurring more slowly than the time that it takes the product to sell out. I have had two email addresses (aliases) that point to the same email account on notification for a product at Midway, and received notification of the product with a significant gap in between the messages. The product was in stock upon receiving the alert to the first account and gone when the alert hit the second account.

Similarly, for Brownells and Grabagun, they have two email addresses for me (at one time I was shopping with one email address, but later decided to use another address for all firearm related purchases). When they send their updates on specials (pretty much every weekday), the gap varies for the same message to hit both email addresses (which are again, just aliases for the same account). Today, there was a 17-minute spread for the Brownells notice to hit both addresses, and less for Grabagun (that must have a shorter customer list or more efficient email system).

It depends where you are in the queue, and for Midway, how this hierarchy is established (first come, first serve, etc), what the size of the email batches are, and the latency in pushing out these batches.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Sorry, email latency is only good for so much delay as an excuse.

But we are talking about 4 - 5 hours or more.

Natchez and others manage to get email notifications out in a timely manner.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How do you explain this gentleman's plight? He received the email within seconds, seconds later he clicked on the link, but the ammo was out of stock. From what I read there, within less than 10 seconds, the ammo was sold out.

No, the point is, the email may have gone out HOURS after the product was sold out. So he went to the site within 10 seconds, but if it had been 1 micro second, he still would have missed by HOURS.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The email alert is going out in batches after it is triggered, and this is occurring more slowly than the time that it takes the product to sell out. I have had two email addresses (aliases) that point to the same email account on notification for a product at Midway, and received notification of the product with a significant gap in between the messages. The product was in stock upon receiving the alert to the first account and gone when the alert hit the second account.

Similarly, for Brownells and Grabagun, they have two email addresses for me (at one time I was shopping with one email address, but later decided to use another address for all firearm related purchases). When they send their updates on specials (pretty much every weekday), the gap varies for the same message to hit both email addresses (which are again, just aliases for the same account). Today, there was a 17-minute spread for the Brownells notice to hit both addresses, and less for Grabagun (that must have a shorter customer list or more efficient email system).

It depends where you are in the queue, and for Midway, how this hierarchy is established (first come, first serve, etc), what the size of the email batches are, and the latency in pushing out these batches.

17 minutes, I can see.

But 3 - 5 HOURS???????

I have received Midway notices HOURS after I had already purchased, based on alerts here or seeing it on GunBot or similar.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    I would guess that the Midway notification system was set up with what I would call normal business conditions in mind. If something was out of stock it was a temporary condition and in most cases some delay in their email system would not be an issue because they would be able to order enough replacement stock of the item so that everyone who asked for restocking notification is satisfied. The 22 shortage is a very different situation as nobody can get enough replacement stock to satisfy demand.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    17 minutes, I can see.

But 3 - 5 HOURS???????

I have received Midway notices HOURS after I had already purchased, based on alerts here or seeing it on GunBot or similar.

Gunbot is not user supplied data. It's a robot trolling inventory in real time. Midway could be sending their FIRST notices well after Gunbot has the information versus taking 3-5 hrs to send all emails out. Not ruling out the possibility that Midway emails to the alert database take 3-5 hours, but that's got to be a huge customer list. I get that spread or more with major retailers or freq flier programs (where different family members mileage updates funnel to one account).

If I were really researching this issue (I'm not - I've gotten what I've wanted from using Gunbot early on), my bet would be on the size of the email batches and what's the latency between batches. If it's a turnkey system and they don't know what they're doing (or if it's contracted out to some cheapo service), this could be the impediment. In this circumstance, what I would worry about is if the hierarchy is not based on first come first serve, but some other ranking (account #, alphabetical order, etc). Why? My account that I established later got alerts (that I must have double registered for) sooner than the old email account.

To formally test, I would establish several email accounts with different alphabetical rankings and put them on the same alerts to see if future alerts reflected the order that they were added to the alert queue and to see if there was any spread.

All hypothetical as who's got the time and patience. Midway's creating the bad name for themselves by sending notices well after their inventory is gone.

tonioaj

#thepewpewlife
    Aug 20, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Dick's sporting goods 22LR

Saw plenty of 22lr ammo at Dick's Sporting goods in Glen burnie cci 300 rounds for 27.99 they had a bunch only one per customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom