• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CIGuy

Nov 4, 2008
    Aberdeen, MD
    Anybody have any experience with the CCI 22 shotshells? How loud of a report do they have compared to a regular 22 round? Will they function in a semi auto? I am looking to use them for snakes while clearing out some old brush piles on my new property, don't want to disturb the neighbors to much.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    i have used the 22 mag shot shells , they are fairly loud, not sure about the semi auto, mine was a Single Six.
    Just let them know you will be clearing brush. deal with the report if there is one.

shovels are pretty quiet also

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The .22lr rounds aren't too loud to use without ear protection in a pinch. Now, that being said....it's still too loud if you're thinking cumulative damage over time.

I blast a rattler this weekend with them and he ate them up like they were candy. After about 6 shotshells, I finally put a couple of hollowpoint .22s in his midsection and that did the job.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    The .22lr rounds aren't too loud to use without ear protection in a pinch. Now, that being said....it's still too loud if you're thinking cumulative damage over time.

I blast a rattler this weekend with them and he ate them up like they were candy. After about 6 shotshells, I finally put a couple of hollowpoint .22s in his midsection and that did the job.

Where'd you run across a rattler?

ken10

Aug 1, 2009
    glen burnie
    i know the cci shotshell wont cycle in a Walther P22. plan on doing single shots or use a revolver.....though there is something cool about shotshells in a .22. Let me know if ya find an auto that does cycle them.:party29:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Next time just use a 12 gauge.

Too hard to conceal :D

I had it in the back of the Jeep, but I figured the .22 shells would do the trick. Once one didn't do it, I figured two would. When two didn't I was SURE 3 would and then.....well you get the idea.

If I were down near the building and the shotgun was out, I would have used it....overkill as it may be.

What this did do was to convince me that I don't want to depend on those .22 shells for a hiking gun. They do a number on mice, but this guy kept on taking them.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    i know the cci shotshell wont cycle in a Walther P22. plan on doing single shots or use a revolver.....though there is something cool about shotshells in a .22. Let me know if ya find an auto that does cycle them.:party29:

Won't cycle them, but that's OK. I mean, you're not really working for Mozambique drills here for their intended purpose.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I ran over a 6 footer up at Greenridge with a Jeep. He kept on truckin! They are some beastys!:party29:

This one was maybe 3 - 3.5 feet. Not a monster by any means but I'm damned glad I didn't come across him the night before.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Next time just use a 12 gauge.

You must be related to my brother in law. He is terrified by any snakes, a few years ago he was getting the yead ready to have my nephew's birthday party and he blasted a black snake 3 times with his 12 gauge, needless to say not much left of the snake or the grass in the area. :lol2:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    22 shotshells are worthless for anything bigger than a rat within 10 feet, for a decent and extremely quiet pest control round, I use super colibris, they are as quiet as a BB gun out of my CZ bolt action, and are plenty accurate, supposedly they clock around 600fps and have a 20gr bullet, way heavier than any air rifle pellet. CBs are also a good and quiet pest control round, shorts are quieter, but may jam when attempting to cycle, CB longs work better in box mag fed rifles, out of a pistol, all are still somewhat loud, it is a given none will cycle a semi. now if I found a venomous snake on my property, I would fetch the 20ga, or use my CCW peice. You can normally get away with 1 shot from something up to the job, however unloading a mag full of 22 shotshells not only pisses it off, but attracts more attention, they aren't exactly quiet.

oliverz

May 19, 2009
    Baltimore
    Uuuughhh. I've stepped on, sat on, and startled :eek: some rattlers in the socal desert and mountain areas. Wish I had something to shoot them with then....

I never had a strike, but occassionally I will hear a noise that sounds a little bit like a rattle that catches me off guard and gets the adrenaline going!

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Anybody have any experience with the CCI 22 shotshells? How loud of a report do they have compared to a regular 22 round? Will they function in a semi auto? I am looking to use them for snakes while clearing out some old brush piles on my new property, don't want to disturb the neighbors to much.

Just use your shovel. If a copperhead really wants to introduce you to its fangs instead of running away, you probably won't have time to draw and aim after dropping the yardwork tool.

You guys are way, WAY too afraid of snakes.... Step aside, let 'em go by, and they'll be gone in a few minutes. They know they can't eat you, so the only options they have are fight or flight. Given the choice, they'll always take "flight", unless you don't let them.

Most people who are bitten by snakes got that way by trying to catch or kill the snake. Yes, on rare occassions people step on them or reach into a place where one is hiding and get bitten, but most of the time it's someone trying to "turn it into a "good" snake" (ie, the only good snake is a dead one). So shooting or killing a snake you DIDN'T see until it bit you isn't going to keep you from getting bitten. You already missed that boat. And killing one AFTER you've seen it - and thus had the chance to keep from being bitten by letting go on its' way - is just pointless killing.

Killing snakes "just because they're snakes" is sorta like believing the idiotic argument that "guns are bad because they kill".

Let 'em go....

(and yeah, I've encountered LOTS of snakes. And not just the relatively tame ones here in CONUS)

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    +1

I used to come across rattlers often hunting in California, only time I ever shot em is when my hounds found em, otherwise the dogs would go after them....

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Sorry mudskipper......rattler near my cabin = dead rattler.

Any other snake, or any other location and I agree with you. ;)

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    when there are kids walking around the property no poisonous snake is allowd to live. I could hardly care less about garder or black snakes (unless they find a way into my chicken coop), but copper heads are very aggresive.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    FYI

If you dispatch any snakes in MD don't tell anyone:

All native snakes in Maryland are protected by the Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act. This means that native snakes cannot be killed, possessed, bred, or sold without first acquiring the proper permit from the Department of Natural Resources. Additionally, Maryland requires a Captive Reptile and Amphibian Permit for the possession, breeding, and sale of native reptiles and amphibians in the state.

From the MD DNR website: http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/snakeinfo.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom