• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If one were to have only one rimfire rifle , .22lr is the way to go.

If you can shoot unlimited ammount in your own yard, the ammo price is major factor. If it is only part of total expenses for round trip gas , range fees , etc , not so much. Expensive rimfire is still cheap by standards of centerfire ( factory) ammo.

While I am outspoken fan of iron sights , 50% of the rational for the .22WMR is extended range, and the iron sights would be the limiting factor against typical rimfire sized targets. If you have in mind using on largish small game at .22lr distances, then disregard.

.22WMR meat damage will overlap with .22lr hollowpoints. My preference for middle of road , all around performance is W-W 40gr jhp.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I've been squirrel hunting for a very long time and cannot ever recall an instance where I would have preferred a .22wmr. This coupled with the fact that .223 ammo costs about the same as .22wmr, makes the wmr less desirable. There are limited instances where noise reduction may make me side with a .22wmr, but I'd rather just adapt and use a .22lr.

Wind has been mentioned a few times, but 22wmr isn't much better than a .22lr in the wind. Even the LR behaves predictably out to 100-125 yards, and if you shoot your gun enough you'll learn how it behaves.

My vote is .22 lr

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I would vote .22lr as well out of those 2 choices. If your going to plink and go squirrel hunting, you already have a 10/22 for that. I would pick up a nice .223 bolt gun. I pay roughly $.26/round for my .17hmr and for $.34/round you can shoot .223 out to a much further distance and not worry about windage as much.

With that said, I'm hoping to take my .22lr out to 250 yards this weekend. I'm not sure I have enough adjustment in my scope, so that may require a hold over + maxing out the scope. Shooting a .22lr at 100+ yards helps you learn to read and call the wind. This is something that I am HORRIBLE at and hoping shooting my .22lr at that distance will help me with.

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    I use 22 LR for fun and squirrels, and in an AR 15 upper for low cost practice. I use 17HMR for ground hogs and the squirrels in my apple trees at 100 yards (don't worry, good back stop!). With the BSA sweet 17 series scope, the 17 is a deadly tack driver.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    If you are sticking with the iron sights on a .22LR, I would not be looking at bolt actions... and the BL-22 would be right at the top of my list.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    Look into 17hmr. But between those two id go wmr jusr because the power is there f needed. But 22lr is a great little round its the best for pkinking. Hunting small game all 3 shall do. Competition 17hmr hands hands down imho.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Quick look at MidWay's ammo prices show high quality .22 WMR (50 qty) half the price of the lowest budget .223 (50 qty). So, I'm confused about the .223 recommendation.

Why not a bolt action for a .22 w/iron sights? Quick target acquisition being the issue?

Thanks!

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Quick look at MidWay's ammo prices show high quality .22 WMR (50 qty) half the price of the lowest budget .223 (50 qty). So, I'm confused about the .223 recommendation.

Why not a bolt action for a .22 w/iron sights? Quick target acquisition being the issue?

Thanks!

I love my bolt action 22 with irons, makes you pick your shots more carefully, great trainer.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Thanks!

Back to the original question in your first post, using .223 for squirrel hunting is loopy. You'll end up with hamburger scattered near and far. If you miss, the bullet continues to travel a very long distance. Even .22LR in 40gr HP might be overdoing it for squirrels, as would many .22WMR rounds, if you have any intention of using the squirrels for food or taxidermy.

Perhaps ironically, if your budget allows, you'll get maximum flexibility from the AR-15 platform. You have the typical 5.56/.223 upper to start with. For a few hundred more, you can buy a .22LR upper. Best of both worlds, especially since all kinds of irons and optics are readily available and interchangeable on both uppers. Obviously the AR platform is not bolt action. You'll have to make some hard decisions for yourself as to exactly what floats your boat.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Why not a bolt action for a .22 w/iron sights?

I was not clear. There's nothing wrong with it. But in my view, for a non-semiauto .22lr with irons, you can't beat a BL-22. Light, compact, fast on target, handles like a dream, accurate, rapid fire option...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom