• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Anyone used 65 gr Sierra Gamekings for deer? I know not the best round to use, penetration issues etc. My wife and step son are new to hunting and the .243 is a bit much for them at the moment.

I will be using varget 100%, I just don't have any cases yet, have CCI BR4 primers.

I will work up a load...just putting feelers out to see if anyone has used these bullets with good results?

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I have no experience with that bullet or that caliber for deer. In my personal opinion and my experience with the 243 it would be the minimal I would use for deer. If I was going to load the 223 for deer I would chose a bullet hopefully a little heaver. The 223 certainly can kill deer, but if it is used to do so, it best left to experienced shooters. Just my opinion.

When my boys were young they took quite a few deer with a 243's. We lost a few too only to find them after the buzzards did. I can't recall one time where they lost one and we found it later and discovered a really bad shot.

I loaded the 243 down to the near the starting charges and I added some weight to the hollow area of the synthetic stock the gun had. These things really tamed the recoil for them when they were young.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom