• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    make sure to update the thread when you find something out. I want to sbr my 15-22, but the atf already owes me $200 from a denial a month ago. I don't need them owing me $400 for another denial.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Was it a dedicated .22 AR style lower like a 15-22 or was it just a standard STANAG AR lower with a .22 upper? There's may be some reasoning if its the latter because a non dedicated can be switched to a center fire upper without legal notification as long as its switched back to .22.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Was it a dedicated .22 AR style lower like a 15-22 or was it just a standard STANAG AR lower with a .22 upper? There's may be some reasoning if its the latter because a non dedicated can be switched to a center fire upper without legal notification as long as its switched back to .22.

It's a STANAG AR lower.

I've considered building an upper for it that would allow it to be longer than 29" just to get it approved, but that's absolute nonsense, because I shouldn't have to spend more money to make it into a longer configuration to meet a requirement that doesn't apply to rimfire.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This why, with a STANAG lower, you have a legal SBR, that is not only a .22. It can be a center fire by changing the upper.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's a STANAG AR lower.

I've considered building an upper for it that would allow it to be longer than 29" just to get it approved, but that's absolute nonsense, because I shouldn't have to spend more money to make it into a longer configuration to meet a requirement that doesn't apply to rimfire.

I think that's the reasoning for the denial. I don't think their decision will change.

Either make the OAL 29"+ or use a dedicated .22 like a 15-22 that won't accept STANAG mags.

I sincerely hope I am wrong.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm going to find out... Because right now they've disapproved something that is legal.

I think that its not as clear cut as you want it to be. IMO its no different than calling a STANAG AR Lower with a non permanent 9mm mag block installed as "not regulated".

Your lower is a standard AR lower, its not a .22.

I disagree with all of these insane laws but I can look at them in an objective manner even if I don't agree.

I wish you luck. I sincerely think you need to take a different approach.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I do see it objectively, they're only approving the permanent configuration listed on the Form 1.

I guess I need to find a 22lr AR barrel that's shorter than 16" and submit it like that. Problem is that I don't have one. I was hoping that they'd approve it, because what I asked for permission to make was a 22lr AR, which is exempted in the FSA2013.

Here's to hoping the refund is quick.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    I think that its not as clear cut as you want it to be. IMO its no different than calling a STANAG AR Lower with a non permanent 9mm mag block installed as "not regulated".

Your lower is a standard AR lower, its not a .22.

I disagree with all of these insane laws but I can look at them in an objective manner even if I don't agree.

I wish you luck. I sincerely think you need to take a different approach.

I'm with Clandestine on this one, and is one of the reasons I SBR'd my 15-22 versus a regular AR15 lower that could still accept centerfire uppers.

Here's a picture without the Sparrow on.

Attachments

• 1522.JPG
      1522.JPG
      34.7 KB · Views: 425

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    I'm with Clandestine on this one, and is one of the reasons I SBR'd my 15-22 versus a regular AR15 lower that could still accept centerfire uppers.

Here's a picture without the Sparrow on.

When did you do this? prior to 10/13 or recently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom