• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I want to build a dedicated .22LR SBR. I know the MD SBR rule is no less than 29", it appears to only effect centrefire cartridges from what I've found searching. Has anyone done a shorter than 29" rimfire SBR recently? Any issues with ATF paperwork?

I found this thread that has information on how to fill out the Form 1 for a rimfire SBR, but it's 5 years old so I want to see if anything has changed.

CMMG has barrel and bolt combos in 4.5" and 9" configurations so I want to make sure I shouldn't run into any problems doing a build with one of them. I'd hate to find out that the ATF is enforcing the 29" requirement on rimfire SBRs now and then have to go find a 10-10.5" 22LR barrel after buying a CMMG combo.

Livingthedream

Feb 20, 2017
    I would be interested in this too. I have a 4.5” 22lr pistol that I’ve put off adding a stock to because I couldn’t find a clear recent answer.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    So I've not gone through the process for a .22LR but have several times with centerfire cartridges. Rereading the bill - I agree with your assessment however my experience with the NFA is that they are not intimately familiar with every aspect of Maryland Law (or at least they were not several years ago). That said, there's a chance it could get kicked back and if so you'd have to push back. If it were me, I would submit a letter describing why you believe it's legal in your form 1 packet. Generally although slow, I've found the folks with the NFA WV branch easy to deal with.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    You are correct, the 29'' length requirement does not apply to rimfire sbr's. You have to go back to either 2015 or 2016 to find the threads about it, but there were several in that time period.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I want to build a dedicated .22LR SBR. I know the MD SBR rule is no less than 29", it appears to only effect centrefire cartridges from what I've found searching. Has anyone done a shorter than 29" rimfire SBR recently? Any issues with ATF paperwork?

I found this thread that has information on how to fill out the Form 1 for a rimfire SBR, but it's 5 years old so I want to see if anything has changed.

CMMG has barrel and bolt combos in 4.5" and 9" configurations so I want to make sure I shouldn't run into any problems doing a build with one of them. I'd hate to find out that the ATF is enforcing the 29" requirement on rimfire SBRs now and then have to go find a 10-10.5" 22LR barrel after buying a CMMG combo.

As you stated, the SBR rule is for centerfire only.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Is there any reason whatsoever to do a sbr instead of a pistol?

I want a stock instead of a brace, that's about the only reason I have for it.

You are correct, the 29'' length requirement does not apply to rimfire sbr's. You have to go back to either 2015 or 2016 to find the threads about it, but there were several in that time period.

As you stated, the SBR rule is for centerfire only.

Thanks for the confirmation!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A call or letter to the ATF would probably be a good idea, not sure if you may have to mark it as "22 rimfire only" or something. Could also build a braced pistol, and just wait for the F1 to come back and either slap a stock on it, or leave it as a pistol if it's rejected. 22 SBR/PCPs are awesome, the 4.5" CMMG/RTB barrel setup is cool, especially if you plan on suppressing it. Built a 16" dedicated 22, and was planning on a 4.5" PCP with side folder setup, but got a deal on the new 8" brace-ready Ruger Charger, had enough 10/22 stuff laying around to make it nice, and wanted to try the SB1913 side folder, and it's sweet. The brace has the smallest/narrowest "arm" slit with the best feel of any of my braces, the new SBA4 is also really comfortable, and drop-in on a buffer tube, even if the paperwork won't get through, and you are stuck with a brace vs stock, either one would be nice. IMO, it isn't worth $200 and all the restrictions for a SBR vs building a braced pistol 99% of the time.

ziptiespec

I'd love to LARP with an SBR 10/22 in a Hightower Armory "stock":

HTA9022BLK-6.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Only dumb question is the one never asked.

I'm still curious if it's legal to open carry a cap and ball revolver in maryland myself.

I mean this....
    https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2018/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/section-4-201/
    ....plus this....
    https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2018/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/section-4-203/
    ..seems to indicated it's not a "handgun" and is not subject to the carry restrictions outlined for handguns. It is a firearm under this...
    https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2018/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/section-4-204/
    ....so don't use it for a crime of violence and you should be gtg right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom