• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    I recieved this email from Nancy Jacobs today:

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Special Issue Update, 2nd Amendment Bills, 03/08/2010

Tomorrow the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee will hear my Castle Doctrine bill, Senate Bill 386. This bill would provide an affirmative civil immunity for individuals protecting their homes/families and places of business from violent criminals. No one should have to worry about being sued for defending their homes, families or places of business from a violent criminal. Examples such as [URL="http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103149324942&s=1950&e=001Sor4dYK72Hg8pSz3WG7yJbrR-7s9SGmXInnUHm4ZemKel_obDYRcrg_yUeApKqaFXpdm8-sYOd-VMI2TzrSAZ4oGiTTEnqRukSG-D2jVBeUhO_C4qlyTzF3SbewXJkQodKTfZyfs9XztDYlQ7kHO8Q=="]this doctor being sued for defending his home from burglary are precisely what we are trying to avoid:

MILWAUKEE -- A Janesville man who admitted breaking into a home is suing the homeowner who shot him.Kurt Prochaska, 39, was on probation last fall when he admitted he broke in to a home and was shot by the homeowner, but that's not stopping him from going after cash through the courts.
    The Rock County district attorney agreed, long ago ruling the shooting was justified. Still, Prochaska is able to move ahead with the suit.

Then on Thursday, March 10th, the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee will be hearing a number of other firearm-related bills including SB44, SB167, SB191, SB274, SB563, SB645 and SB842. A number of these bills place law-abiding gun owners in thorny legal cross-hairs (SB167, SB274, SB563, and SB645). As you well know, Maryland already has onerous laws regarding obtaining, transporting and using firearms, we really do not need more laws to this affect.

On bill in particular, Senate Bill 645 drew a lengthy rebuttal editorial in the Washington Times:
    "To obtain a gun license, a person must fill out a long application form, attend a comprehensive firearms safety course, pay a nonrefundable fee to the state and wait 30 days for the completion of a criminal background check. If all items are processed properly, the Maryland State Police would drop the license in the mail.
    It would become a crime to go to a gun range and rent a firearm for a little target shooting without this license in hand. Out-of-state visitors who might want to keep up their skills while on vacation would be out of luck under the proposal because they would not even be allowed to apply for a state gun license.
    The bill would make it a crime on par with murder, kidnapping, rape and extortion for a private party to sell his own gun to someone who has no license. It also would give police the authority to seize the e-mail, cell phone and other records of anyone merely suspected of selling or renting a gun in Maryland without a license. This is an extreme reaction to conduct that is perfectly legal in most states and should be a constitutional right anywhere in the Land of the Free.

It's obvious that Mr. Rosenberg and Mr. Frosh are not really interested in stopping criminals from obtaining weapons. Instead, this misguided proposal plainly is designed to harass legitimate gun owners with bureaucracy and paperwork until they simply give up on the idea of exercising their legal rights."

So many of you have written me opposed to SB167, SB191, SB274, SB563, and SB645. As a fellow firearm owner who chooses to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights, I agree and do oppose all of these bills.

If you have not already, I encourage you to write members of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee offering your opposition to these bills. You can find our committee member's e-mail addresses, phone numbers and mailing addresses by clicking on our name at this Senate Judicial Proceedings link.

I do appreciate so many fellow gun owners writing me in support of Senate Bill 386 (Castle Doctrine) and opposed to the many anti-2nd Amendment bills that are proposed. It is great to know that so many dedicated patriots will advocate for our Constitutionally-enshrined rights.

As always, I welcome your thoughts and appreciate your support!

Sincerely,

20.jpg
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][/URL]

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I posted this a short while ago, but that's okay. Only problem is we'll have two threads on same thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom