• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    So as not to detract from the planning thread...

There are several "anti" bills on the schedule for the House Judiciary committee on March 4th, and we want to be prepared.

So, I'm reaching out to the most prolific, resourceful people I know, to get a little something done, so that we can have folks prepared to testify on the 4th.

(NOTE: Some of these are not necessarily big issues, but a little digging can't hurt. Also, there are a couple bills here that are resurrected attempts for infringement, and that needs pointing out too.)

HB 42 Del Cardin Public Safety
    Firearms
    Application Approval Before Sale, Rental, or Transfer

HB 90 Del Simmons Regulated Firearms
    Disqualifying Crime
    Domestically Related Crime

HB 94 Del Arora Crim Law
    Prohib on Manufacture of Detachable Magazine or Firearm Receiver
    3-D Printing

HB 115 Del Conaway
    Task Force to Study Firearms and Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) Devices

HB 286 Del Valentino Criminal Law
    Use of Handgun in Crime of Violence or Felony
    Statute of Limitations

HB 623 Del Simmons Public Safety
    Crim Justice Information System
    Integration With Md Automated Firearms System

HB 1199 Del Clippinger
    Possession of Loaded Handgun or Regulated Firearm
    Enhanced Penalties

Here's what I'm asking...

(in my best John Conyers) Read the bills. Make note of any specific references you think you see.

Read any Fiscal Notes, etc., and look for anything you might think unusual.

Check into the history of the Sponsor(s). Chances are they have a background that relates to the bill.

Research any connections you think you've found. Post questions here and I know people will help you sort it out.

Why??

These bills aren't just bad because they've been filed by known opponents of 2A. If history is any guide, there's possibly more below the surface that can be used to tip this apple cart, HARD.

This is a chance for anyone who's been looking for ways to contribute, but can't get to Analpolis or feels they've been needing to put in that little bit more.

And, lest we forget... Anyone who can get to the House office building for the JUD hearing, please do it!! If this is to be our year, we need many new and different faces to show up for every little thing that happens this year!!

TIA!!!!

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    There are threads over in Maryland 2A for HB 42, HB 94 and HB 115. Maybe you could just like them over there and folks could join in/add there.

I think you meant House in the latter section, rather than Senate.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I'm sure I'll catch a lot of hell for this, but at first glance I don't really see much wrong with HB1199 (other than the already existing carry and transport restrictions). The bill increases the minimum punishments for carrying a loaded handgun or regulated gun in ways that are already illegal. It doesn't create any further restrictions, just increases the minimum penalties for loaded guns.

Of course, it means if we make a mistake, we could be behind bars longer as well, but I think deep down inside we all know that you can't afford to make mistakes when it comes to handling loaded firearms.

As I see it, this should keep the bad guys behind bars a little longer than is the case now, and that's a good thing.

Am I missing anything?

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    The big thing for me is always "making something illegaler"

Just being thorough, and offering it for picking apart.

Yeah, it's illegal to carry a concealed firearm, this makes it more illegal if it's loaded. But it will give stiffer sentences to violent criminals.

I think tough minimum sentences for those crimes is what "common sense gun laws" should be about. Increase penalties for the bad guys. Don't restrict the good guys.

Edit: I will say I would like to see a bill like this increasing minimum sentences for violent crimes of all types, not only for carrying or transporting a firearm.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    In fact, I think this would be a good one to make a deal. Have Haddaway tell Clippinger "I'll support this bill if you support my HB521".

Let the good guys conceal carry and increase the penalties for bad guys who do. It's a win-win.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Yeah, it's illegal to carry a concealed firearm, this makes it more illegal if it's loaded. But it will give stiffer sentences to violent criminals.

I think tough minimum sentences for those crimes is what "common sense gun laws" should be about. Increase penalties for the bad guys. Don't restrict the good guys.

Edit: I will say I would like to see a bill like this increasing minimum sentences for violent crimes of all types, not only for carrying or transporting a firearm.

It will do nothing of the kind.. At best it is a s Mr. H suggests. But without a clear rule of safe harbor transport it is aimed squarely at those who transport in MD.

There is no deal on this unless we get a clear safe harbor for transport. And shall issue.

Given the nature of restricted permits i think this bill is mostly aimed at those persons.

In this case we had better not deal until after we get good transport laws and shall issue.

I already no longer shoot in MD so I can transport under FOPA, not perfect , but better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom