• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • upacreek

Jun 9, 2012
    Brandywine, MD
    Competition(3 gun and F class) general discussion

Seeing how there are a lot of people into competition shooting here, what are some of y'all favorite set ups for 3 gun or F Class shoots?

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Those are totally different shooting disciplines. F-class is long range precision, usually at 600 yards. A prefered rifle would be a match grade bolt gun or AR, usually in 5.56 to .308 and many calibers in between. 3-Gun is just a multigun form of action shooting. It comes in either outlaw in which the organizers make the rules or USPSA where it is an extension of USPSA/IPSC action pistol shooting. Although I have not done my first 3-gun or multigun event I have done some of the separate parts.
    My AR is custom assembled unit I made up, using a Stag Arms 3GH 5.56mm upper paired with a custom assembled Aero-Precision lower. It has a Geissele Super 3-Gun trigger, Ergo F93 Pro stock, Ergo pistol grip, KNS non-rotating locking trigger pins, and Magpul BAD lever. It also has Dueck offset iron sights and 1-6x24 tactical scope.
    I have 3 shotguns, including a full competition 12g Remington 870 pump and a pair of 12g and 20g Browning Gold autoloaders w/ 9 round mag tubes on each.
    My pistol is my current USPSA Limited gun, a Bul M-5 (an Israeli Para P18 clone) in 9x23mm caliber.
    Now there are slight differences between 3-gun and multigun but don't take these as absolutes. In 3-gun you may have to carry all your equipment on you during a stage, but depends on the event rules. Most places that specify multigun often require that you stage your firearms for each stage, so you do not have to carry them all. Depends on whether they specify you are required to use a sling in competition. Generally you will always be required to carry your pistol in a holster acceptable for the class of competition you are in. The most popular division is Tactical-Optics. Similar to Limited except you are allowed one optic among your 3 guns, so most put the optic on the rifle and use iron or fiber optic type open sights on the other 2. Long range shots in this are usually maxed out at 250 yards at most.

upacreek

Jun 9, 2012
    Brandywine, MD
    Those are totally different shooting disciplines. F-class is long range precision, usually at 600 yards. A prefered rifle would be a match grade bolt gun or AR, usually in 5.56 to .308 and many calibers in between. 3-Gun is just a multigun form of action shooting. It comes in either outlaw in which the organizers make the rules or USPSA where it is an extension of USPSA/IPSC action pistol shooting. Although I have not done my first 3-gun or multigun event I have done some of the separate parts.
    My AR is custom assembled unit I made up, using a Stag Arms 3GH 5.56mm upper paired with a custom assembled Aero-Precision lower. It has a Geissele Super 3-Gun trigger, Ergo F93 Pro stock, Ergo pistol grip, KNS non-rotating locking trigger pins, and Magpul BAD lever. It also has Dueck offset iron sights and 1-6x24 tactical scope.
    I have 3 shotguns, including a full competition 12g Remington 870 pump and a pair of 12g and 20g Browning Gold autoloaders w/ 9 round mag tubes on each.
    My pistol is my current USPSA Limited gun, a Bul M-5 (an Israeli Para P18 clone) in 9x23mm caliber.
    Now there are slight differences between 3-gun and multigun but don't take these as absolutes. In 3-gun you may have to carry all your equipment on you during a stage, but depends on the event rules. Most places that specify multigun often require that you stage your firearms for each stage, so you do not have to carry them all. Depends on whether they specify you are required to use a sling in competition. Generally you will always be required to carry your pistol in a holster acceptable for the class of competition you are in. The most popular division is Tactical-Optics. Similar to Limited except you are allowed one optic among your 3 guns, so most put the optic on the rifle and use iron or fiber optic type open sights on the other 2. Long range shots in this are usually maxed out at 250 yards at most.

I know the differences sir, just seeing what works for certain people. I think I'm gonna prepare myself for an F class....have to find a longer range to practice on.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I know the differences sir, just seeing what works for certain people. I think I'm gonna prepare myself for an F class....have to find a longer range to practice on.

Then you should change the title to F class info.

The two sports are mutually exclusive, save for (perhaps) ammo.

-Jim

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    For 3-Gun/Multi-Gun, I'm running an 18" SPR barreled build, with an RRA LPK, Ergo stock, Magpul grip and trigger guard, Troy Battle Rail, Spike's upper and lower receiver, and a Millet DMS-1 scope. My pistol is usually a ParaOrdnance P16-40 with a re-worked trigger, and it's in the shop now getting its sights upgraded. My shotgun is a Remington 11-87P with 21" barrel, rifle sights, and interchangeable chokes. I'm thinking of upgrading the shotgun to the FN after my wife finally gets a job.

upacreek

Jun 9, 2012
    Brandywine, MD
    Then you should change the title to F class info.

The two sports are mutually exclusive, save for (perhaps) ammo.

-Jim

Ya'll sure do take the fun out of posting on here.

I'm interested in both, can't be limited to one, and seeing how it is encouraged to speak up in the community(forums), figured I would ask.

upacreek

Jun 9, 2012
    Brandywine, MD
    For 3-Gun/Multi-Gun, I'm running an 18" SPR barreled build, with an RRA LPK, Ergo stock, Magpul grip and trigger guard, Troy Battle Rail, Spike's upper and lower receiver, and a Millet DMS-1 scope. My pistol is usually a ParaOrdnance P16-40 with a re-worked trigger, and it's in the shop now getting its sights upgraded. My shotgun is a Remington 11-87P with 21" barrel, rifle sights, and interchangeable chokes. I'm thinking of upgrading the shotgun to the FN after my wife finally gets a job.

Looks like a great set up sir! I'm a low budget kinda guy haha

upacreek

Jun 9, 2012
    Brandywine, MD
    I started out low budget. Stock Kimber 1911 for pistol, CETME for the rifle, Remington 870 Express Super Magnum for the shotgun. $35 leather holster, too, $15 nylon mag holders, no rifle mag holder.

Many people shoot with stock M&P pistols? I shoulda sprung for a higher capacity shotgun. I think my AR could hold up, just operator error messing things up.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Many people shoot with stock M&P pistols? I shoulda sprung for a higher capacity shotgun. I think my AR could hold up, just operator error messing things up.

It's what I had at the time. I added a tube extender to the Remington so I was at 7+1. They wouldn't let me shoot a revolver :lol2: so the Kimber got the nod.

upacreek

Jun 9, 2012
    Brandywine, MD
    It's what I had at the time. I added a tube extender to the Remington so I was at 7+1. They wouldn't let me shoot a revolver :lol2: so the Kimber got the nod.

Those Kimber 1911s are pretty good pistols. A friend of mine loves his, but neglects to fire it daily haha. Well, no revolvers? I was gonna try to go to one with all old C&R weapons. 7.62 Nagant Revolver, Mosin Nagant M91/30, and a coach gun! haha

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010

I see plenty of folks running stock M&P's in USPSA production division so that that should do the job nicely in 3 Gun as well.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I'm sorta a 3-gunner...

I put together a CCMG lower with a RRA single stage LPK and Spike's Tactical 16" Midlength Upper LE w/12" BAR Rail. Trigger is heavy, but brakes clean...I plan to up-grade.

Benelli M1 Super 90 I got used from Shooters Discount. Sent it to Briley's to thread the barrel for chokes.

XDm 9mm with a Power River Precision drop-in trigger.

All equipment is better than me :D

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL

I see plenty of folks running stock M&P's in USPSA production division so that that should do the job nicely in 3 Gun as well.

I run a M&P Pro in USPSA Production, IDPA SSP, and soon to be 3-gun. I have a APEX Tactical Competition trigger, RAM, Dawson Precision sights (black notch rear, fiber optic front), and Wolf springs. Works great! Lots of other competitors running M&P's in various configurations. You shouldn't have any problem starting out shooting the gun stock, and then upgrading from there.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    So; I'm looking to start in both of these classes as well:
    F Class ("in production") Remington 700 SA SPS Tactical AAC Model in .308; PLan on (for now) topping it with my current Primary Arms 4-16x44 illuminated mil-dot reticle. (Ive been flamed for that choice of reticle, but its what I trained for years on), Harris bipod, rear bag, spotting scope.

3-Gun: (I haven't competed yet but this is what I have): Mossberg 590 with 8 round tube, ghost ring rear sights and fixed post front (factory), S&W M&P 9 (or 40, havent decided on that yet); S&W M&P 15, Magpul BAD Lever, Magpul MOE Grip, DD Carbine Rails (with rail covers)< Primary Arms RDS with 5x Magnifier on a flip-to-side mount, Magpul BUIS, Magpul ASAP plate and MS3 Sling, Magpul CTR Stock... I think thats it.

No trigger jobs for anything (yet), I also need to put together a decent carrying rig for 3-gun. At the moment the only thing I have that can carry it all is an assualt vest with plates removed.... I think that is legal but it kind of bulky

upacreek

Jun 9, 2012
    Brandywine, MD
    So; I'm looking to start in both of these classes as well:
    F Class ("in production") Remington 700 SA SPS Tactical AAC Model in .308; PLan on (for now) topping it with my current Primary Arms 4-16x44 illuminated mil-dot reticle. (Ive been flamed for that choice of reticle, but its what I trained for years on), Harris bipod, rear bag, spotting scope.

3-Gun: (I haven't competed yet but this is what I have): Mossberg 590 with 8 round tube, ghost ring rear sights and fixed post front (factory), S&W M&P 9 (or 40, havent decided on that yet); S&W M&P 15, Magpul BAD Lever, Magpul MOE Grip, DD Carbine Rails (with rail covers)< Primary Arms RDS with 5x Magnifier on a flip-to-side mount, Magpul BUIS, Magpul ASAP plate and MS3 Sling, Magpul CTR Stock... I think thats it.

No trigger jobs for anything (yet), I also need to put together a decent carrying rig for 3-gun. At the moment the only thing I have that can carry it all is an assualt vest with plates removed.... I think that is legal but it kind of bulky

I've got a Timney trigger in my M&P15 lower...the increase in accuracy was immediately noticable at 100yds, just the optics and operator need to be worked on.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I put a cart together for 3-gun and was surprised to see so many carry both long guns cased with ammo and accessories in a shoulder bag. You aren't moving to far from stage to stage, but I carry snacks, lunch and water, so the weight can add up.

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    I think the M&P is a good choice, but I would recommend a 9mm. They are cheaper to shoot, and there is no power factor requirement in 3 gun. You can also get a few more rounds in the 9. Extend the mag to 140mm and I think 24 or 25 might be possible.

An AR is definitely the right platform to start with. You can always mod it up as you see things that work better.

The 590 is the cheapest way into a shotgun. Important thing there is capacity or 8+1 and reliability. I shot an FNH but don't recommend it (not 100% reliable after a lot of fiddling with it. The top choices are the Versamax and the Benelli M2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom