• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2shots

Oct 14, 2010
    I have inherited a case of 30 cal ball ammo that is full, with 5rd clips bandoleers.:gun3: Is this ammo safe to shot out of my bolt action Smith&Wesson 30-06 ? I dont know when it was manufactured and I dont want to shoot corosive ammo out of my bolt action. Was thinking of getting a Gerand or have a mauser rebarreled in 30-06. Anyway looking for suggestions.:confused:

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    What are the markings on the case, bandoleers, and cartridges? The date is usually included in the lot number and stamped on the head of the cartridge around the primer.

Before shooting it I'd want to know who made it and when.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Re-barreling a Mauser just to shoot a case of ammo is going to be a net loss.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    absolutley unsafe, you need to turn that ammo over to me for proper disposal.:innocent0:

In general .30 cal ammo produced after 1952 is non-corrosive. I would figure out who the manufacturer is and what year it was produced just to check though.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    The 5 rnd clips were typically made for the 1903 (and variants) bolt action rifles. These were made prior to WWII and typically used corrosive primers.

Yes, it's safe to shoot, but if it's corrosive, you'll have to deal with a thorough cleaning after each and every shoot.

If it's not corrosive, Garand lovers will be your new best friend!

Jamie

2shots

Oct 14, 2010
    OK guys it has HXP & 74 on the bottom of the case near the primer. Oh and it's 2 SPAM cans full for a total of 480 rnds. Does 74 mean it was manufactured in 1974 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom