• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bach

Dec 28, 2012
    hollywood
    I'm new to reloading. :)

I have 30-06 cases with head stamps of LC 72.

262013.jpg

The large rifle primer was very hard to seat; you can see where the primer cup deformed the primer a little. I seated the same primers (Winchester) in an 8mm Mauser case with no problem. Is there perhaps something odd with these 30-06 cases?

I'm using a Lee Classic Turret Press.

Thanks,
    SteveB.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Those primer pockets looked crimped. You should be using either a swaging-type or cutter-type primer pocket tool, before priming them.

If you haven't loaded them with powder & bullets yet, I'd highly recommend that you fire the primers, decap them again, and remove the crimps by either method above, before reloading. This will ensure your primers are flush or below the case head by a few thousandths. It's hard to tell, but your primers look like they're protruding a bit, a big no-no.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    LC is Lake City brass. Has the typical military crimped primers. Your chamfer tool will work to remove.

Just in case you might have this thought as a new guy, it is NOT a good idea to now try to deprime your newly primed case in the photo! Fire it off safely without powder or a bullet, and then deprime it and clean up your pocket, or drop it in a waste container filled with oil and soak it for future disposal. Oil in an "oops" container with a lid will deactivate your primer with a good soaking. Good luck!

bach

Dec 28, 2012
    hollywood
    I used the Lee chamfer tool to remove the crimp. This time the results are much better,

DSC00479.JPG

Thanks for the help!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    LC is Lake City brass. Has the typical military crimped primers. Your chamfer tool will work to remove.

Just in case you might have this thought as a new guy, it is NOT a good idea to now try to deprime your newly primed case in the photo! Fire it off safely without powder or a bullet, and then deprime it and clean up your pocket, or drop it in a waste container filled with oil and soak it for future disposal. Oil in an "oops" container with a lid will deactivate your primer with a good soaking. Good luck!

That's good advice. A plastic 1 lb coffee can with a lid and a few ounces of mineral spirits works well for a deactivated primer container. On the other hand if the primer is reusable (yours isn't), with experience it's not all that hard to carefully decap the case with the sizing die and re-seat a good primer. Been there, done that. In this case, pop the primer in the empty case in the rifle and start over.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you need to do a lot of cases, the Dillon 600 Super Swager is well worth it.

All US military field ammunition is crimped primer. Match ammo may not be crimped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom