• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    When does the clock start ticking for your next purchase? The day you actually purchase the firearm or the day you pick it up?

D.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Not exactly. Pickup and purchase aren't related (IME). You purchase a gun on July 1 (never mind that it's a Sunday). Paperwork goes in and comes back July 8. You can purchase another firearm on July 31 (but obviously can't pick it up til a week later).

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    So from date of purchase then.

I have the filled out designated collector form -- just gotta send it in.

Thanks.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Not exactly. Pickup and purchase aren't related (IME). You purchase a gun on July 1 (never mind that it's a Sunday). Paperwork goes in and comes back July 8. You can purchase another firearm on July 31 (but obviously can't pick it up til a week later).

guess again.. the sale doesnt get completed until the gun leaves the store. you have to sign the papers before you leave the store, hence the day starts then.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Don't forget you can buy a pistol the next day, just let the FFL hold it until the 30 day window opens back up. (If the FFL is willing?) But if you pay in full and ask him real nice to hold it for you, I think most FFLs would be happy to oblige?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Wow is it really that easy to legally circumvent the 30 day period?

Yes. Just do it.

In my world, it's far harder to come up with the money for multiple purchases, sadly.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Wow is it really that easy to legally circumvent the 30 day period?

You are using a legal avenue that is available to anyone.

You will see that MD gun laws are full of stupid, useless half actions. Take for example the 20 round mag law. It just means that you or I have to visit a bordering state to buy our full capacity mags there.

xilni

Jun 21, 2012
    Chevy Chase
    You are using a legal avenue that is available to anyone.

You will see that MD gun laws are full of stupid, useless half actions. Take for example the 20 round mag law. It just means that you or I have to visit a bordering state to buy our full capacity mags there.

Yes, this one in particular I've been aware of and casually laughed at the futility of the whole thing.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    guess again.. the sale doesnt get completed until the gun leaves the store. you have to sign the papers before you leave the store, hence the day starts then.
    Well, maybe it does, and maybe it doesn't. All I know is I bought a gun, filled out the paperwork on 5/23, picked it up 6/2, then turned around and bought another 6/16, with the FFL to send in the paperwork on 6/23, picked up the 2nd gun on 7/3. So sure, I did not take posession of a 2nd gun within the 30 days, but I did guy a second gun, as far as I am concerned. This was exactly what kalister1 suggests. If you wait til you pick up your gun before buying another, your effective wait time between guns is 37+ days. If you can schedule the paperwork to go in on a certain date, you can minimize that wait time to the "by law" 30 days.

JustCuz

Non-Expendable Citizen
    Aug 25, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    Another tidbit on the subject that hasn't been mentioned yet: You can purchase two (2) regulated firearms from the same dealer at the same time and get them both on the same day after the 7-days wait period and "not disapproved" notification; however, you then have to wait 60 days before purchasing another.

Bottom line: Take the advice of others and fill out the MSP 29-56, mail it, and wait for Cpl. Cusimano's okay to become a designated collector. Then, when you fill out the paperwork for a regulated firearm and get to the question asking if you've purchased another one within the past 30 days, you can answer "N/A" because the same question specifies that it applies only to those who are NOT designated collectors.

xilni

Jun 21, 2012
    Chevy Chase
    Another tidbit on the subject that hasn't been mentioned yet: You can purchase two (2) regulated firearms from the same dealer at the same time and get them both on the same day after the 7-days wait period and "not disapproved" notification; however, you then have to wait 60 days before purchasing another.

Bottom line: Take the advice of others and fill out the MSP 29-56, mail it, and wait for Cpl. Cusimano's okay to become a designated collector. Then, when you fill out the paperwork for a regulated firearm and get to the question asking if you've purchased another one within the past 30 days, you can answer "N/A" because the same question specifies that it applies only to those who are NOT designated collectors.

Ok. That was going to be my next question as to how you actually used your collector status. Thank you.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Describe nature of collecting activities:

ZOMBIES!

Zombihardestpart.jpg

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Yes, this one in particular I've been aware of and casually laughed at the futility of the whole thing.

Practically futile, but politically perfect. The anti-liberty types got to tell their constituents they were "doing something" while the pro-liberty types were able to effectively gut the law.

Describe nature of collecting activities:

"I buy guns." :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom