• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    where it does start to get fuzzy are the kits you can buy online. Heard it was technically legal to get them shipped to your house, where you then "drive over state lines", put them together, and bring them back in.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    where it does start to get fuzzy are the kits you can buy online. Heard it was technically legal to get them shipped to your house, where you then "drive over state lines", put them together, and bring them back in.

Can't assemble instate. Read the law:

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines - Prohibited.

Statute text
    (a) Scope of section.- This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.
    (b) Prohibited.- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    that's where the whole "drive over state lines" thing comes into effect. and when you are buying it, it's a parts kit, not an assembled working mag. still probably not worth the hassle / risk for most people as PA and VA are such a short drive away.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

I will not even push the law by buying the "rebuild" kits and having them shipped to MD.

When I want 30 round mags I do one of several things, A) go to an out of state gun show or B) order the mags to be shipped to a VA associates home and I usually order them when I am working out of state. (yes, that is very often) The third option is to find a gunshop in a free state and visit that shop.

MSP can never link me to any 21+ round mag shipped to my MD address.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    so I read the title and thought "Well, this should be a short thread... Holy crap, how'd it get to 24 replies.... Oh, I see..."

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    so I read the title and thought "Well, this should be a short thread... Holy crap, how'd it get to 24 replies.... Oh, I see..."

Wait 'till someone makes a gay joke. :tdown:

There is a Nations Gun Show coming up in October. Save pennies now and go buy in bulk at the show. I am getting new-model PMags at the show as cheap as any on the internet. Got a stack of them now; going to add to that stack next show. And the one after that.

Just because I can. And so can you.

Soap Box:

Looks like someone on the Internet here made a mistake. I don't know Ed but he's good people around here. I have been wrong on here plenty of times and had people gently correct me and provide the right answer.

It's not worth the vitriol to call people out like this. Dog piles are not fun. The right info was passed and hopefully a few people learned something. Hope one of those lessons is not "MD Shooter's guys are assholes."

Respectfully submitted.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    Calling clandestine :rolleyes:

Soap Box:

Looks like someone on the Internet here made a mistake.
    Well since he professes on nearly every post about being a 30-35-or 40 year LEO depending on which thread you read, It would be nice if when posting legal advise it has even a smid-geon of fact.
    That and his tirades about "jail house lawyers" to which his post applies.
    I don't know Ed but he's good people around here.More like a drama queen ;) I have been wrong on here plenty of times and had people gently correct me and provide the right answer.

It's not worth the vitriol to call people out like this I disagree !!When people who try and gain accreditation of their statements by being a LEO here and then give bad legal advise it needs to be coerrected quick. Dog piles are not fun . The right info was passed and hopefully a few people learned something. Hope one of those lessons is not "MD Shooter's guys are assholes."
    There is always that chance :rolleyes:

Respectfully submitted.

Respectfully submitted.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD

There is a Nations Gun Show coming up in October. Save pennies now and go buy in bulk at the show. I am getting new-model PMags at the show as cheap as any on the internet. Got a stack of them now; going to add to that stack next show. And the one after that.

Just because I can. And so can you.

Soap Box:

Looks like someone on the Internet here made a mistake. I don't know Ed but he's good people around here. I have been wrong on here plenty of times and had people gently correct me and provide the right answer.

It's not worth the vitriol to call people out like this. Dog piles are not fun. The right info was passed and hopefully a few people learned something. Hope one of those lessons is not "MD Shooter's guys are assholes."

Respectfully submitted.

+1

There's been more asshattery lately than is to my liking. I'll wait for someone to go ahead and post the "hurt feelings report" as a retort...

Patrick has a valid point, lately, if there's any sort of disagreement, people are jumping down each other throats at a moment's notice instead of being civil and not coming across as assholes to people who stumble upon this site.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Should I keep my reciepts, since they are from PA, for my 30rd mags handy just is case?

Why not?

The receipts from the gun show are literally the end of a ticker tape from a mechanical calculator. No items numbers, no company name, no nothing. So I guess I'd be at a loss.

That said, there is the whole concept of beyond a reasonable doubt and all that fun stuff.

The only concerns I have had are running into misinformed LEOs at a public range. I mostly shoot private, so I honestly do not know. But from what everyone here says, it is zero issue.

I cannot think of a single case where anyone on this site says they have ever gotten grief from anyone with a badge over a 30 round mag. And my guess is the folks here would know if it happened.

The other issue I have is getting replacement parts or warranty replacement. Had to work through Virginia to replace a half-dozen bad CProducts mags this summer. Annoying.

Seriously, this law is just pushing money into VA.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Seriously, this law is just pushing money into VA.

And PA.

Someone should do some number crunching and figure out how much sales tax revenue MD has lost because of this law.

It seems that the folks on the state level don't understand anything but $$, so let's show them how much they have lost.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Figure 1,000,000 gun owners in Maryland, 25% of whom own EBRs, half of whom buy three mags per year, average mag price of $15.

1,000,000 *.25 = 250,000

250,000/2 = 125,000

125,000 * ($15x.06) = $112,500

Probably conservative estimates on my part, but still not a ton of money in relative terms.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    And PA.

Someone should do some number crunching and figure out how much sales tax revenue MD has lost because of this law.

It seems that the folks on the state level don't understand anything but $$, so let's show them how much they have lost.

I believe Brian at keepshooting was talking with someone up high about this and was basically told it will never changed. I'll have to see if I can find his post.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Figure 1,000,000 gun owners in Maryland, 25% of whom own EBRs, half of whom buy three mags per year, average mag price of $15.

1,000,000 *.25 = 250,000

250,000/2 = 125,000

125,000 * ($15x.06) = $112,500

Probably conservative estimates on my part, but still not a ton of money in relative terms.

I bought between 25 and 50 20 round PMags last year and 10 30 rounders in PA a few weeks back. Add to that the 12 20 round AK mags from AIM.

Seriously, some folks need more mags.

Let's not forget the 25 round mags for 10/22's and the 25 round .22 mags for .22 AR conversions.

Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland
    I will not even push the law by buying the "rebuild" kits and having them shipped to MD.

When I want 30 round mags I do one of several things, A) go to an out of state gun show or B) order the mags to be shipped to a VA associates home and I usually order them when I am working out of state. (yes, that is very often) The third option is to find a gunshop in a free state and visit that shop.

MSP can never link me to any 21+ round mag shipped to my MD address.

I don't think there is anything in the law that would forbid receiving a rebuild kit in MD. I wouldn't worry. I don't think the MSP is spending their time "linking" mags to any address or person.

focusr3

Apr 23, 2008
    What if someone was to find some 30 round mags at a range would it be legal to pick them up and try to find the owner. Just sayin

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    What if someone was to find some 30 round mags at a range would it be legal to pick them up and try to find the owner. Just sayin

Seriously, if this was something you wanted to do on the down low...why post it on the internet?

That ain't exactly James Bond... :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom