• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krob

Oct 9, 2007
    bushwood md
    has anyone here built an ar chambered for 300 blackout? thinking of building an upper to go with my rock river lower was thinking of a 12.5 inch barrel and supressing it pros, cons, ideas?

thanks
    rob

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Pro's -

*30 cal projectile in a 5.56 package.
    *Only dedicated 300BLK part needed, the barrel.
    *When suppressed, very quiet on subsonic ammo.
    *Can be used for deer in MD, provided your using supersonic ammo.

Con's -

*Limited range, subsonics are good for 250 yards and in.
    *Factory loaded ammo is in short supply currently.
    *Noveske barrels ain't cheap, and not always available in desired length.

I'll finish mine if I ever get the barrel back from the gunsmith. It needed the flash suppressor pinned and welded. The barrel is a Noveske.

Today I snatched 500 Hornady .30 cal 110 grain spire point bullets. That will be for my blasting ammo. I'm not interested in subsonic.

alpine44

Feb 5, 2010
    The 300 Blackout is an excellent caliber that only requires a barrel change in an AR15.

You can use "real" hunting bullets and have the confidence of shooting a heavier bullet (typically twice as heavy as a 5.56x45) on game.

The cartridge also excells in short barrels. 8-9" barrels are long enough to burn the powder completely and deliver great performance without excessive muzzle blast and flash. A 16" barrel will only yield ~150 ft/sec more muzzle velocity than a 9" barrel.

Lastly, you can cast your own cheap lead bullets for this caliber. If you do not go crazy with the powder charge you may even get away without a gascheck.

The brass can be formed from 5.56x45 casings. There is a guy on gunbroker who converts 1000 5.5x45 cases to 300 BLK and removes the primer crimp for ~$70.

On the downside, factory ammo is expensive, hard to find and in my experience not nearly as accurate as the hand rolled loads. In order to take full advantage of the 300 BLK you should reload, IMO.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Good info! It's on my list of 2 to build... soon... lol

I do reload, so that is no problem

krob

Oct 9, 2007
    bushwood md
    thanks for the info.....brad how long is the hand guard on the 12.2 barrel? i plan on reloading so i should be good on ammo at some point. i ordered a lower receiver should be in some time next week planning on keeping that for a later build.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    The cartridge also excells in short barrels. 8-9" barrels are long enough to burn the powder completely and deliver great performance without excessive muzzle blast and flash. A 16" barrel will only yield ~150 ft/sec more muzzle velocity than a 9" barrel.

This.

I'm curious why the OP is looking at a 12.5"...

krob

Oct 9, 2007
    bushwood md
    im planning on supressing it and with a 16 inch barrel im figuring 23 24 inches? also i dont see much velocity loss with a shorter barrel dont plan on shooting past 200 yards with it

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Has anyone tried the cleaned brass sold on Gunbroker? Some sell the primed case and Hornaday projectiles.

What equipment would you recommend to measure the powder and seat the bullet? What sort of powders are recommended, or to be avoided? If the primers are no seated, are these small or large rifle primers?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( Insert the entire discussion regards Handloading. )

Yes , those take SmRifle primers.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Has anyone tried the cleaned brass sold on Gunbroker? Some sell the primed case and Hornaday projectiles.

What equipment would you recommend to measure the powder and seat the bullet? What sort of powders are recommended, or to be avoided? If the primers are no seated, are these small or large rifle primers?

A scale.
    A press.
    Smokeless recommended, black powder to be avoided.
    Small rifle.

lol
    :)

bangbangbye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2012
    Nice post. Here is my build. Waiting on a few tax stamps to SBR and suppress. Wilson combat barrel on mine. Yes, that is an 80% lower that looks like a seekins..

The 300 Blackout is an excellent caliber that only requires a barrel change in an AR15.

You can use "real" hunting bullets and have the confidence of shooting a heavier bullet (typically twice as heavy as a 5.56x45) on game.

Lastly, you can cast your own cheap lead bullets for this caliber. If you do not go crazy with the powder charge you may even get away without a gascheck.

The brass can be formed from 5.56x45 casings. There is a guy on gunbroker who converts 1000 5.5x45 cases to 300 BLK and removes the primer crimp for ~$70.

On the downside, factory ammo is expensive, hard to find and in my experience not nearly as accurate as the hand rolled loads. In order to take full advantage of the 300 BLK you should reload, IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
      IMG_0144.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 250

Ronin9

Jun 11, 2013
    Good 'ole "Fredneck" County
    I've considered just ordering a completed upper in 300BLK... but actually came across a Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 in 300BLK for a good price (least I think so). Am now debating on getting the full rig now then another upper in 5.56 at a later date or sticking with my original plan. I've already got a RRA HBAR in 5.56 that I use mostly as a range gun... but am really considering this DDM4 in 300BLK. thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom