• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    I assume that many who have an AR in 300 black out also have AR(s) in 5.56/.223.
    Since the only functional difference is barrel bore (ie- same bolt, same mag, externally looks the same), what do you do to prevent someone loading the wrong round, or loading a mag with the wrong caliber?
    What would happen if a 5.56 were fired in a 300 chambered rifle? Other than loss of accuracy and maybe cycling problems.

I am thinking along the lines of maybe yellow or red tape on the magwell and matching color on the mags for say the 300. -looking for other ideas short of buying a second gun safe.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Common sense mostly. I also have two different barrel length uppers with LaRue rail covers of different colors. Beyond that, the only person who touches my rifles is my brother who knows how bad loading the wrong round would be. Be deliberate and thoughtful in what you do while shooting and you should be fine. YMMV IANAL

I can't speak to what happens if you try to shoot a 5.56 in a 300BLK.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I use paint markers to differentiate between mags, but generally I look before I shoot. If you are at the range, it is your responsibility to keep your bench clean and orderly. Duct tape comes in many colors too. Mark one mag type (I would mark the 300 blk) with tape. Leave all other mags unmarked so as not to get multiple colors confused in a 'situation'.

At home, I don't use either for home pro. so there's no worry of grabbing the wrong mag or wrong gun, fumbling around in the dark.

Last edited:

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I have dedicated mags for my 300 and I never bring 5.56 and 300 guns to the range at the same time.

i-fdHKSCB-L.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have seen online ( Faxon, Nosler)where they have bands like the wrist ones (Live Strong) that have the designated caliber on them. Other members have used spray paint and a template with the caliber and spray it on the magazine. for now, I use Magpul for my .223/5.56 and Lancer for my .300.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/03/faxon-firearms-introduces-magazine-marker-bands/
    That's basically what I use to differentiate between the two... I put bands on all the mags (and one on the weapon to match) used for either the 300, 223 or 556. I need to differentiate between 556 and 223 as well, since I have AR's in each, plus the 300AAC.. I also have a unique color scheme for the 300 and it's associated mags.

Attachments

• 4th of July small.jpg
      4th of July small.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 270

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's basically what I use to differentiate between the two... I put bands on all the mags (and one on the weapon to match) used for either the 300, 223 or 556. I need to differentiate between 556 and 223 as well, since I have AR's in each, plus the 300AAC.. I also have a unique color scheme for the 300 and it's associated mags.

That's why I only do .223 wylde. I don't need the annoyance of .223 or 5.56.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I just use these bands around my 300blk mags. I use a sharpie to mark them. Buy some asparagus, eat it, use the rubber band for your mag. Win, win.

Attachments

• IMG_0863.JPG
      IMG_0863.JPG
      37.9 KB · Views: 221

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks for all the replies. Most are along the lines I was thinking of with some welcome modifications.

1. Faxon has a different website than the one mentioned in the blog, but still sells the bands, same price for 10, free shipping.

2 the video regarding .223 in a 300 BO chamber was enlightening.

I need to find asparagus with yellow or red bands! Or I might try to see how far the "lobster claw" bands stretch...they are probably too small.

My plan now is to put one band around my handguard next to the receiver, another around the magwell, and the other eight around the 8 10 round mags I am going to reserve for 300BO, placed hi enough on the mag that it is just below the magwell, so the magwell band and mag bands are close to each other. The mags will be stored in a separate box from my other are mags. (Yea, I sprang for the 10 pack of the faxon bands).

Thanks.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Others have posted great ideas. They should work. For me, I only use aluminum mags out of my 300 blk while I only use polymer Pmags out of my 223 guns.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    what do you do to prevent someone loading the wrong round, or loading a mag with the wrong caliber?

I pay attention to what I am doing, if there are other someone's firing my guns I only have one rifle and/or type of ammunition out at a time.

Been that way ever since a buddy of mine had a bunch of bolt rifles out letting another pick what he was going to elk hunt with on a trip later that year. After failing to hit a target after a few rounds, t was found he was shooting the wrong ammunition (wrong caliber). In that case it was just a matter of too small a bullet going down the barrel. Run a 300 in a 223 barrel and a kaboom is waiting.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Others have posted great ideas. They should work. For me, I only use aluminum mags out of my 300 blk while I only use polymer Pmags out of my 223 guns.

This is exactly how I do it. GI mags for my 5.56 and PMags for the 300BO.

While the paint/colored bands is a good idea, I also wanted something I could rely by "feel" in the dark (like reaching into a safe and not wanting to turn a light on). You could still use bands/tape - just use a different number for each caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom