300 Blackout bullets that expand at sub sonic velocities?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Started to handload for AR and Rem 700 in 300 Blackout both with 16" barrel length. What bullet do you guys use out of such a combo that will expand at sub sonic velocity. The Hornady 190g Sub-X looks to be made for that purpose but as of now are unobtainium. Thanks.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    The Hornaday 190 will barely expand. The 194 Lehigh will open up like crazy. They shoot great too. I haven't played with the makers but they say they are good too. You won't regret the Lehigh!!!!!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The Hornaday 190 will barely expand. The 194 Lehigh will open up like crazy. They shoot great too. I haven't played with the makers but they say they are good too. You won't regret the Lehigh!!!!!
    Except the price of them lol.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I'm just getting ready to load blackout subs and was wondering the same. Was looking for an accurate plinking bullet and one for expansion. Does Lehigh offer load data?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Supers are the defensive load for the 300blk.
    This man gets it. Subs are for funsies, but if you want someone to really know they've been tagged, you should be slinging 110gr or 125gr projos. Doubly so if you're worried they're wearing body armor, because even some IIIA can stop subs.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I'm just getting ready to load blackout subs and was wondering the same. Was looking for an accurate plinking bullet and one for expansion. Does Lehigh offer load data?
    For plinking, my go to have been Gallants(used to be Leatherheads) 225g. I've found that in my gun, they do require sizing. A cheap Lee sizing kit is all I use.
    I can give you load info later, as I am sitting in a tree right now. They have decent accuracy for what they are. Remember, when working up sub loads, best to always start high and work down the ladder.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    For plinking, my go to have been Gallants(used to be Leatherheads) 225g. I've found that in my gun, they do require sizing. A cheap Lee sizing kit is all I use.
    I can give you load info later, as I am sitting in a tree right now. They have decent accuracy for what they are. Remember, when working up sub loads, best to always start high and work down the ladder.

Thanks, I looked them up, very affordable!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Ask a silly question, get a silly answer. Yes they do. Enjoy your search.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Here are a couple sub recipes I load:

Expanding Sub Sonic
    194g Lehigh Defence Maximum Expansion
    11.7g Accurate 1680
    Rem 7 1/2 BR Primer
    2.210 COAL

Plinking Subsonic
    225g Gallant Poly Coated
    10.5g Accurate 1680
    Rem 7 1/2 BR Primer
    2.060 COAL

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Here are a couple sub recipes I load:

Expanding Sub Sonic
    194g Lehigh Defence Maximum Expansion
    11.7g Accurate 1680
    Rem 7 1/2 BR Primer
    2.210 COAL

Plinking Subsonic
    225g Gallant Poly Coated
    10.5g Accurate 1680
    Rem 7 1/2 BR Primer
    2.060 COAL
    Thanks, I like seeing recipes with powder I don't normally use!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Nosler has a BLK specific bullet. No idea it’s any good or not.
    If you're talking about the 220gr ballistic tip round nose they released a few years ago my review is as follows, they're crap. I bought 500, shot them out of 3 guns with more loads, OAL, crimp changes than I can remember and they still keyholed and shot like junk. Gave some to a buddy, same thing. Stay away if they're even still making them.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    If you're talking about the 220gr ballistic tip round nose they released a few years ago my review is as follows, they're crap. I bought 500, shot them out of 3 guns with more loads, OAL, crimp changes than I can remember and they still keyholed and shot like junk. Gave some to a buddy, same thing. Stay away if they're even still making them.
    Johnny Reloading Bench had same thing. I think Nosler discontinued them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom