• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Maybe dumb question but was collecting my spent brass on new 300 blackout and noticed all of the necks had a flat spot on them. Was pretty uniform on all of the brass. Have not noticed this on my other platforms, maybe dumb question but extraction problem ??

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Mine does that too. Isn't that where it hits the brass deflector on the upper? I'm guessing that's what that black bump is called. It has little brass marks on it.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Mine do that as well. Noveske 14.5" 300blk, pistol gas with AAC 51t brakeout, Spikes ST-T2 buffer w/ carbine spring. I'll happily take them off your hands if they're no good to you.

Thanks.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's gassed properly. The only reason the case mouth is hitting the deflector instead of the case body (like a 5.56 would) is due to the reduction in case length.

My 16" (pistol gas, Noveske) would do the same with factory rounds, but not with my handloads - loaded them hotter than factory.

My 12.2" (pistol gas, Noveske) was set-up to throw the brass clean out w/out touching the deflector, except with subs, unless they were suppressed.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    See the Caldwell brass catcher on this 300 BLK? It prevents the cases from getting dinged by the deflector and makes the cases much easier to find...

;)

Attachments

• DSC02733.jpg
      DSC02733.jpg
      76.4 KB · Views: 166

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    5.56 rounds can become dented on the shell deflector as well. Dented case mouths were common with the M-16 firing the old 5.56 52 and 55 grain'rs.

Dented case mouths can be resized, but are more likely to split during seating (annealing could help) and case life will be diminished significantly. If the expander ball won't pass through the case mouth, use a center punch to expand it, prior to resizing. If the dents are so bad they have creases, the case will split, if not during seating, then upon firing. If OP doesn't care about case life or reloading, guess it doesn't matter. Since I reload, it matters to me. Lots of guys use adhesive velcro and weather stripping on the deflector. I tune for proper ejection. Ref gassing, etc., my initial guess was OP's brass was hitting deflector hard and probably deflecting forward (see diagram below). Since OP hasn't specified, maybe I should reel that one back in ... :o

Attachments

• ARejectionpattern.jpg
      ARejectionpattern.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 157

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks for all of the input. Unfortunately do not have pics of brass as traveling for work but it was not that bad. No creases caused. Just started saving brass as want to get into reloading sometime in the near future. Figured would definitely pick up this brass as 300 blackout is not that common and makes life easier. The vast majority of rounds were behind me however was shooting at freestate so with the walls of the lanes being so close does not mean too much. Hopefully will have sometime coming up soon to get it outdoors where can measure true trajectory of spent brass however could not look at it sitting there finally completed and needed to get it out.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Lovely wife took a pic for me. Think it is coming from the deflector.

Attachments

• 20140916_155405.jpg
      20140916_155405.jpg
      20.2 KB · Views: 138

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    5.56 rounds can become dented on the shell deflector as well. Dented case mouths were common with the M-16 firing the old 5.56 52 and 55 grain'rs.

Dented case mouths can be resized, but are more likely to split during seating (annealing could help) and case life will be diminished significantly. If the expander ball won't pass through the case mouth, use a center punch to expand it, prior to resizing. If the dents are so bad they have creases, the case will split, if not during seating, then upon firing. If OP doesn't care about case life or reloading, guess it doesn't matter. Since I reload, it matters to me. Lots of guys use adhesive velcro and weather stripping on the deflector. I tune for proper ejection. Ref gassing, etc., my initial guess was OP's brass was hitting deflector hard and probably deflecting forward (see diagram below). Since OP hasn't specified, maybe I should reel that one back in ... :o

"If not left hand lower make sure brass not bouncing off range partner." ROFL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom