• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I have decided to put together a suppressed AR platform in 300 whisper some time in the near future, hopefully. My question is where to find the proper dies for forming the brass and reloading. I have looked through all my wholesale catalogues, but have had no luck finding what I need. I also would love to hear from anyone who has experience loading the whisper. I am hoping to have a compact, super quiet, accurate shooter, capable of 200 plus yards. Also, I haven't yet found the proper chamber reamers for the build either. So if anyone knows where I can pick them up as well, please let me know.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    They are scarry quiet.

Just had some factory guns come through. A local LE agency bought one for deer population control, the rest went to some farmers for the same reasons.

The 200 yards isn't going to happen with subsonic ammo, you're going to have to go supersonic for that range. At 100 and under you're GTG, but you'll need to know the hold overs very well.

Sorry I don't have any info on reloading the round. I'll make some calls to see if a friend of two can help out with the reloading info.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The .300 Whisper is proprietary, and property of JDJones. In theory, everything made with ".300 Whisper" on it comes by way of licensed use of his TM.

You can find commercial die sets by several manufacturers under the name ".30-221" or ".30-221 FireBall", which is the essence of the .300 Whisper.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    The .300 Whisper is proprietary, and property of JDJones. In theory, everything made with ".300 Whisper" on it comes by way of licensed use of his TM.

You can find commercial die sets by several manufacturers under the name ".30-221" or ".30-221 FireBall", which is the essence of the .300 Whisper.

Thanks, I have seen it called 30-221. I haven't searched the manufactures yet, just my wholesale catalogues. I am about to do a little googling for some ;)

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Have you seen this?:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=382761

The guy calls it 7.62x40. I think its a .30 bullet in a shortened and necked up .223 case.
    He says:
    "For current 300-221 / 300 Whisper users it is a natural progression if looking for more velocity. Simply have the barrel re-chambered, cut and form new brass, adjust your reloading dies for the longer round, reload and head to the range. "
    I think its something you can build with "off the self parts" with a few modifications. Standard reamers, brass, bullets and dies ect. I', actually just starting to read about it. Anyways, have a look.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    If you build that you will let me come shoot it at your berm lol
    Ill buy another gun as an excuse to make the drive down there,maybe you can break out the tazer again?

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Thanks for the help guys, it gives me a few things to look into. It will be a while yet before I start the project. I'm trying to perfect a 223 suppressor first, then I need to work on my 9mm suppressor project. The 300 will have to wait until after those and the additional day to day stuff.

Kevin, if you buy another gun and combine the pepper spray with the tazer, I'll let ya run a few through it lol.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'm building a .300 Fireball/.300-221 AR for a project at school. I will probably end up buying the reamer from Clymer as well...

As mentioned above, this round can be made from standard components. I have 2 .223 rifles and a .308 Win rifle, so I'll already have the components sitting around. I was originally gonna go with the .458 SOCOM but after a lot of hard thinking, this is the way to go! ;)

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I figure why build one when I can submit myself to what most of the world considers torture or cruel and unusual punishment and purchase handgun and be able to pop off a few rounds off somebody elses? is that not a sweet deal?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'm building a .300 Fireball/.300-221 AR for a project at school. I will probably end up buying the reamer from Clymer as well...

Smores, you really should look at PTG and their pilot bushing style reamers. Dave Kiff is first class and their products rock. I have several chamber reamers from PTG and they're really nice. Solid pilot reamers are fine for "hunting accuracy", but otherwise, it's a crap shoot between actual bore diameter and the "standard" pilot diameter. Clymer is so....1950s...

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Smores, you really should look at PTG and their pilot bushing style reamers. Dave Kiff is first class and their products rock. I have several chamber reamers from PTG and they're really nice. Solid pilot reamers are fine for "hunting accuracy", but otherwise, it's a crap shoot between actual bore diameter and the "standard" pilot diameter. Clymer is so....1950s...

They don't have a part number for the 30-221. I imagine they have them or would make it though. I certainly like the idea of the removable pilot :thumbsup:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Clymer doesn't stock them either, they fall under the special order category. I'll check out PTG as well. Thanks for the help guys!

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Check out the Quarterbore Forum h t t p://www.quarterbore.net/forums/index.php

They have 3 sections for 300 whisper/clone shooters & reloaders

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    They are scarry quiet.

Just had some factory guns come through. A local LE agency bought one for deer population control, the rest went to some farmers for the same reasons.

The 200 yards isn't going to happen with subsonic ammo, you're going to have to go supersonic for that range. At 100 and under you're GTG, but you'll need to know the hold overs very well.
    Sorry I don't have any info on reloading the round. I'll make some calls to see if a friend of two can help out with the reloading info.

The change from 50 yards to 75 to 100 is really that different? Im thinking hard now about building one using my MDShooters lower. My dad has foxes all over the place. The 17HMR doesn't really do the job and though the neighbors are cool I dont want to rock their world with a loud boom. Im thinking a suppressed 300 whisper would be awesome for the job. My shots would range out to 200 yards.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Sub-sonic is sub-sonic, and since flight time governs drop, a sub-sonic .30-221 bullet will follow almost an identical trajectory as a sub-sonic .22 rimfire bullet or sub-sonic 9mm bullet, etc..

With a 75 yard zero, I need 22 MOA to get dead on at 200 yards with my sub-sonic .22 LR. That's roughly 46" of drop in 125 yards....might want to re-think your range limitations unless you have a LRF and time to deploy it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom