• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is there a cycling subsonic load for carbine length gas port 300 blackout?

• I own one and yes there is.

Votes: 2 28.6%
    • I own one and no there isn't.

Votes: 1 14.3%
    • I have heard from someone that there is.

Votes: 2 28.6%
    • I have heard from someone that there is not.

• Something else (Post comment).

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    DA, you tried. Kind of like someone asking for help then questioning said help. Chad gave his opinion and most people would then ask how would you go about tuning for carbine length. Chad is one of the few people I know who always offers help because he loves to share his vast knowledge. Like a mentor. I did that at my last job with my sysadmins. I have known many people who have vast knoweldge and never offer help- if they do, for a cost. Chad is also one of the most caring people I know. But, whatever.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    DA, you tried. Kind of like someone asking for help then questioning said help. Chad gave his opinion and most people would then ask how would you go about tuning for carbine length. Chad is one of the few people I know who always offers help because he loves to share his vast knowledge. Like a mentor. I did that at my last job with my sysadmins. I have known many people who have vast knoweldge and never offer help- if they do, for a cost. Chad is also one of the most caring people I know. But, whatever.

That guy isn't going to get my goat. I didn't leave it out to be got, and he can't afford it anyway. :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The problem is that data does not account for gas system efficiency, coatings, tolerances, and several other things.

Smokey,

If you need help, I'll do what I can to help you. I'm not going into details here though because they don't need help.

:thumbsup: I appreciate it. Take care.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

I tried and it is truly disheartening to see how people treat Chad the way they do. I was guilty of it once, but made my amends, and in doing so have learned to see things from the other side of a monitor. Chad not only mentored me in his classes, but also in his posts on MDS. He was even willing to go so far as look at a gun chambered in the caliber that shall not be named, because I was having a problem with it.

Short version is that Chad is a good friend and a valuable resource on how things go wrong and how to resolve them too. It is my sincere hope that he doesn't throw in the towel on MDS one day because of asshattery from one person too many jumping his chit. I know a lot of us would miss him and his knowledge on things, even outside of the firearms world.

Next time I get a chance to link up with him, I'll have to buy him a beverage of his choice for all the chit he takes from some people. Could be a adult beverage or a bottle of water, or anything in between. I'll be his choice.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Agreed

I tried and it is truly disheartening to see how people treat Chad the way they do. I was guilty of it once, but made my amends, and in doing so have learned to see things from the other side of a monitor. Chad not only mentored me in his classes, but also in his posts on MDS. He was even willing to go so far as look at a gun chambered in the caliber that shall not be named, because I was having a problem with it.

Short version is that Chad is a good friend and a valuable resource on how things go wrong and how to resolve them too. It is my sincere hope that he doesn't throw in the towel on MDS one day because of asshattery from one person too many jumping his chit. I know a lot of us would miss him and his knowledge on things, even outside of the firearms world.

Next time I get a chance to link up with him, I'll have to buy him a beverage of his choice for all the chit he takes from some people. Could be a adult beverage or a bottle of water, or anything in between. I'll be his choice.

He has been great to me as well. I too am glad to call him a good friend. And I agree with your comments. Not bashing the OP either. Was, like you trying to let him know Obi Wan Clandestine is the MAN with ARs... and other firearms.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

He has been great to me as well. I too am glad to call him a good friend. And I agree with your comments. Not bashing the OP either. Was, like you trying to let him know Obi Wan Clandestine is the MAN with ARs... and other firearms.

Thanks my friends.

As far as my preferred drink, it's the blood of my enemies. :)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

:party29:

Thanks my friends.

As far as my preferred drink, it's the blood of my enemies. :)

Sooooo.... Who is your enemy, so I can get on that? Wait, I know! It is the genius that invented the 40 and also Miltec, right? :lol2:

Feb 28, 2013
    No, it's called decency. One day you'll see the error of your ways. But then again, it might be too late. :shrug:

Well now you insinuate that I'm gay? Hmmmm..... How am I supposed to respond to that without giving you anything to twist? Ah yes, I have it! If I was gay, I wouldn't be on MDS, due to all the gay bashing that occurs.

Sounds like he jealous cuz you dont find him attractive :lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• Brd102.jpg
      Brd102.jpg
      33.5 KB · Views: 106

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not trying to step into any "$hi7" here but I know my 16" 300BLK carbine system won't cycle subs.
    My dad got rid of his 300blk and gave me a bunch of AR spare parts.
    one I think is this:
    https://nemoarms.com/products/300-blackout-custom-carbine-buffer-spring
    I took a tube and marked 1/2" then used a trigger gauge to compare buffer springs.
    Most of the buffer springs I had took 7lb to move 1/2". This one was 3 1/2"lb to move 1/2"

A few years ago I had problems cycling my rifle length gas dissipator and found that I had not used the lighter spring that came with the kit. That solved my problem.
    I'm still learning the fundamentals of buffer weight, spring and gas. (I don't have any AR with adjustable gas at this time).
    I do have some heavier buffers (4.3oz and 5.4oz) though have not used them (all mine installed are 3oz)

I'm guessing that adjustable gas is best? (which I don't have).
    If I use a lighter spring to cycle subs on 16" carbine gas, I take it I can run into reliability problems with the reduced spring not putting the next round into battery if it runs into resistance?
    This question is purely academic cause my plinking load for my 16" carbine gas 300blk is NOT subsonic.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not trying to step into any "$hi7" here but I know my 16" 300BLK carbine system won't cycle subs.
    My dad got rid of his 300blk and gave me a bunch of AR spare parts.
    one I think is this:
    https://nemoarms.com/products/300-blackout-custom-carbine-buffer-spring
    I took a tube and marked 1/2" then used a trigger gauge to compare buffer springs.
    Most of the buffer springs I had took 7lb to move 1/2". This one was 3 1/2"lb to move 1/2"

A few years ago I had problems cycling my rifle length gas dissipator and found that I had not used the lighter spring that came with the kit. That solved my problem.
    I'm still learning the fundamentals of buffer weight, spring and gas. (I don't have any AR with adjustable gas at this time).
    I do have some heavier buffers (4.3oz and 5.4oz) though have not used them (all mine installed are 3oz)

I'm guessing that adjustable gas is best? (which I don't have).
    If I use a lighter spring to cycle subs on 16" carbine gas, I take it I can run into reliability problems with the reduced spring not putting the next round into battery if it runs into resistance?
    This question is purely academic cause my plinking load for my 16" carbine gas 300blk is NOT subsonic.

There's a lot more involved than just the buffer spring.

If you need help I can get that running, just send me a private message. I won't post here because I don't care to help people that are assholes.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    There's a lot more involved than just the buffer spring.

If you need help I can get that running, just send me a private message. I won't post here because I don't care to help people that are assholes.

Just like in the coding world this translates to "i don't know either but we can work it out in private".

Priceless BS answer but its as i expected it to be. not because of the person posting it but because the ar platform is a system. all the parts have to work together, change one and you'll likely have to change something else. it also depends on your POU. i've seen guys get all bent out of shape about the ejection of brass being X degrees instead of Y degrees and tear their gun apart looking for what someone else told them was perfect.

in the short couple days of tinkering with loads i found what works for MY carbine. I haven't built the 100s or thousands that people claim to have made but it works for my carbine without a suppressor.

the internet is still full of opinions!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Just like in the coding world this translates to "i don't know either but we can work it out in private".

Priceless BS answer but its as i expected it to be. not because of the person posting it but because the ar platform is a system. all the parts have to work together, change one and you'll likely have to change something else. it also depends on your POU. i've seen guys get all bent out of shape about the ejection of brass being X degrees instead of Y degrees and tear their gun apart looking for what someone else told them was perfect.

in the short couple days of tinkering with loads i found what works for MY carbine. I haven't built the 100s or thousands that people claim to have made but it works for my carbine without a suppressor.

And it appears as if you haven't picked up on the advice given to you in this thread about Chadwin. It's your loss. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

I know exactly what works. I don't teach about ejection patterns.

- 11,000 AR's have crossed my Bench.
    -13 Years Gunsmith.
    -6 Years Technical AR Instructor.
    -Private Citizens and Law Enforcement from all over the U.S. travel to take my technical AR courses.
    -I'm a contributor for Primary and Secondary, AR Build Junkie and other AR venues.
    -I train AR Manufacturers employees before they can work the line.
    -I consult on AR product development for several AR Companies.

Care to list your credentials?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    mine

I don't own a 300AAC with carbine gas. I don't think I know anyone(off hand) who does. I don't think it would be impossible, yet I have never tried.

I do know that 16" pistol length gas cycles them with or without adjustable gas.

As mtlcafan79 said A1680 is one of the best subsonic powders for working up loads. I would recommend trying different bullet weights ranging from 190gr up to 225grs. That may make the difference. :thumbsup:

My CMMG 300 upper 16" has carbine gas. Have not shot it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom