• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Been a long time since this Brit been out. The rear sight was walking up on me initially after each shot. Wondering where the hell the rounds were going. Bloody hell and bullocks too. Finally am registering on the paper though.

IMG_1251.jpeg

IMG_1252.jpeg

Last edited:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    The next 10 rounds hit paper. I’m gobsmacked and it was a jolly good show.

IMG_1253.jpeg

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    It was a hoot to shoot. It must’ve been 10 years ago since I last shot it. You know how it goes when you have amassed a collection.

The arsenal rework or whatever you call it on this rifle is atrocious. That poor heel repair on the buttstock. And the screws that hold the butt plate on, are sticking out because they were not seated properly. I usually do small repairs on my C&R’s initially when I received them: this particular rifle needs some follow up love now. I’m not doing anything with the heel repair, but I am going to back these buttplate screws out, refill the holes with eproxy and then I‘m drilling new pilot holes, and set the screws in correctly.

Other than that, the rifle is combat ready.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Looks like a nice rifle for sure, and yes they're finicky but usually if you lower the back sight and maintain a six o'cock hold while laying an aim they'll do quite well.
    Your right something doesn't quite look right with the rear of the buttstock/armorers work but theirs enough there to get it right. ( does not appear to have been done in service)They often have repairs there so no worry, Yes it's combat ready as it sits. No synthetic oil rituals necessary.
    I would speculate it looks like a Long Branch from this viewpoint, BF is your man for the in depth particulars.
    Anyway, if you ever decide you need help with the stock fitting I can help you out if you like. (NC)
    Now that you have your elevation accounted for somewhat remember, Center Center Center breath and squeeze first pull and stop breath settle in and then second pull off again.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    You rang, Efffendi?
    I'm guessing the screw holes were ripped up so the butt-plate was lowered to fit in new holes maybe? Does the hole inside line up with the butt trap?
    I never saw an arsenal repair like that! Most of them were of "cabinet maker" grade!
    Or maybe "Bubbah" got his hands on it somehow?
    The walking sight is probably the little spring, (#4) hidden in the rear-sight's top right of the frame, rusted up, or full of dried lube & grease. Does the elevation knob have definite click stops? Try a little light oil & let it sit overnight then spin the elevation knob back & forth till it quits feeling free, tight or gritty.

Attachments

• rearsights diagram.jpg
      rearsights diagram.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 63
    • DSCF4175.JPG
      DSCF4175.JPG
      541.9 KB · Views: 64
    Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Nice No 4 Mk I*. Probably the best bolt action battle rifle ever made. That handguns says "Long Branch."

I see yours has an Ishy screw, which I understand indicates service in Pakistan or India. That might be where the heel repair was made. A lot of Lee Enfields were imported in the 80s and 90s and sold at very low prices. I picked up several back then, still have one.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Nice No 4 Mk I*. Probably the best bolt action battle rifle ever made. That handguns says "Long Branch."

I see yours has an Ishy screw, which I understand indicates service in Pakistan or India. That might be where the heel repair was made. A lot of Lee Enfields were imported in the 80s and 90s and sold at very low prices. I picked up several back then, still have one.
    Good catch. Corrected the title of my thread. :o

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    You rang, Efffendi?
    I'm guessing the screw holes were ripped up so the butt-plate was lowered to fit in new holes maybe? Does the hole inside line up with the butt trap?
    I never saw an arsenal repair like that! Most of them were of "cabinet maker" grade!
    Or maybe "Bubbah" got his hands on it somehow?
    The walking sight is probably the little spring, (#4) hidden in the rear-sight's top right of the frame, rusted up, or full of dried lube & grease. Does the elevation knob have definite click stops? Try a little light oil & let it sit overnight then spin the elevation knob back & forth till it quits feeling free, tight or gritty.
    Nope. No click stops or detents. Just smoothly raises the rear elevation peep hole as you operate the top knob. I'll treat it to some G96 cleaner/lubrication tomorrow morning when I clean the rifle.

Will check the hole in the stock with the butt plate trap door tomorrow as well. Just can't remember anything about this rifle when I first got it (the details like this) except the extreme cleaning it required. The other Enfield I have (No. 1 MK3 was in just as bad of shape).

I consider these rifles "rescues" :)

Last edited:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Yep, you have a rusted or stuck spring.
    The "Ishy Screw" was Originally an Indian thing, but it was later adopted by everyone. Just that alone isn't a really good indication of Indian history. If it has an "FR" stamps then that's a bigger clue.
    I can't tell if its a No4 Mk1, or a No4 Mk1*, can you get a pic of the right side of the receiver, showing the bolt release? If its a spring loaded catch behind the charger bridge on the right it's a Mk1 if it a cut in the rail up near the breech face its a Mk1*
    Your front sight looks like it needs adjusting slightly to center your groups horizontally, I have the front sight tools (& the weird screwdriver if you need it) for both the No4 & No1 if you need help with zeroing.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    nice rifle
    I can see that Prvi box is atleast 10 years old. They've changed their box design twice since then LOL

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Yep, you have a rusted or stuck spring.
    The "Ishy Screw" was Originally an Indian thing, but it was later adopted by everyone. Just that alone isn't a really good indication of Indian history. If it has an "FR" stamps then that's a bigger clue.
    I can't tell if its a No4 Mk1, or a No4 Mk1*, can you get a pic of the right side of the receiver, showing the bolt release? If its a spring loaded catch behind the charger bridge on the right it's a Mk1 if it a cut in the rail up near the breech face its a Mk1*
    Your front sight looks like it needs adjusting slightly to center your groups horizontally, I have the front sight tools (& the weird screwdriver if you need it) for both the No4 & No1 if you need help with zeroing.
    Here's a pic I took tonight of it

Capture.JPG

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    nice rifle
    I can see that Prvi box is atleast 10 years old. They've changed their box design twice since then LOL
    Ha! Yes, I have started to begin the long expenditure of previously hoarded ammunitions, gathered when the prices were a bargain. Can't take it with you in the great beyond.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    OK that's a "Rifle, No4 Mk1"
    (the better of the two choices IMO) The Mk1* was a simplified for mass production version.
    Older ammo should be "cleaned for corrosive" BTW!
    Those old primer are corrosive, nothing wrong with that Per Se, but it MUST be cleaned the same day it's shot.
    Basically get a funnel, some reinforced hose & use them to pour a bunch of scalding hot water through the barrel with the muzzle down, (to dissolve corrosive salts), & then clean normally.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I guess I'm spoiled but I was sorta hoping for a nice clear pic/photo/shot or whatever of the left side of this from the OP...you know so we could see what exact flavor of #4MKI this is...but I guess spoiled.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The pic he took of the right side tells the tale. You can see the No4 Mk1 bolt release catch, just behind the charger bridge.
    A Mk1* wouldn't have that but instead a cut in the guide rail for the bolt head about 1/4" back from the breech.
    The ribbed handguards are frequently LB or Savage, but not always.
    Serial Number will tell.
    if its format is "#C####" its a Savage-Stevens made one from Chicopee Falls Mass. If its "#L####" its a Long Branch from Mississauga, Ontario.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Thankyou for that, I already know the rifle is a MKI (no *), I was just hoping to see where the rifle was made and did not want to assume Savage or Long Branch based on the hand-guard as it "could" have been replaced at some point with what was available during it's 80 some year life and service in potentially different nations and am curious of it's actual manufacturer. If the OP would rather not show the other side of his rifle I understand perfectly, but as I say I am curious.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Agreed. The "grasping grooves" aren't in any way definitive. Plus Long Branch & Savage-Stevens swapped parts in inventory.
    I even have a No4 Mk2 Fazakerly with them & another without them! Both were unwrapped mummies & so "from the factory" no repairs of bubba involvment!

Attachments

• DSCF6171.JPG
      DSCF6171.JPG
      386 KB · Views: 46
    • DSCF1241.JPG
      DSCF1241.JPG
      514.6 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members