• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    So I sold a scope for my dad and he wants to use the money for a 308 bolt gun. He has $450 to spend on the rifle. If it has glass that's better but not necessary. Want good accuracy. We shoot at peacemaker so up to 300 yards at steel. He also wants it to be shorter barrel and threaded. Used is good. If it's a little higher than the budget that's not a deal breaker. He has some trade stuff. He was looking at the mvp patrol as it uses m14 mags which he has a bunch of.

If you have one for sale Let me know. He is an md resident.

To recap:
    450 ish with or without glass.
    16"-18" threaded barrel
    308 win
    Bolt gun (he has a saiga and m1a already)

So what says mds? Any links to for sale

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Try this... Caveat: I have never shot an Axis before and this is a little longer than you wanted, but they get decent reviews. And for a little more there is the 10P.

I do have experience with the Model 10PC and it's a shooter. Might be able to find a used one that's in your price range. The one I had was an easy sub-MOA shooter and accurately engaged targets past +1000yds with it.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Tikka T3 Lite .308. Though it doesn't have a threaded barrel, that is an easy fix since there are many places that will thread a barrel. The Tikka is a superb rifle!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Ruger American in 308. It comes from the factory with a good trigger and the barrel is already free floated. I shot one and it is on my list of rifles to get for Little DA.

The Ruger American should run between 400-500 depending on where you go to buy it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Another vote for the Ruger American.

Also, look around for the now discontinued Browning A-Bolt II or an X-Bolt on sale.

Twice the gun for about 100 bucks more.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I would suggest the Howa 1500 SA with the 20" heavy varmint barrel in .308 but that usually goes for about $600 with no optics (same rifle as a Weatherby Vanguard).

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I would suggest the Howa 1500 SA with the 20" heavy varmint barrel in .308 but that usually goes for about $600 with no optics (same rifle as a Weatherby Vanguard).

I love my Howa 1500. It has an adjustable trigger and a free floated heavy barrel in a new stock. With FGGM 168gr BTHP it's sub MOA. I put an SWFA 12X with the milquad reticle on and am very happy with it.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Look for a used Tikka T3. You can't get much better than that for the money.

What's the rifles purpose?

I own a Tikka T3 lite in 30-06 and for hunting, especially where weight is a concern this rifle is a TOP contender. Accurate as all hell and smooth as butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    2014 Guns and Ammo rifle of the year...http://www.gunsandammo.com/ga-awards/2014-rifle-ruger-american-revolution/
    Ruger American Redfield package for me. I have it, and it's a tack driver. (Sub MOA) Now the down side... It is very hard to find right now. Unless one of the shops on here have it, this is the only place I've found it, right now. https://www.vanraymond.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=29&idproduct=1914
    I bought mine from grabagun.com for $505 delivered.
    Other than the Ruger, the Savage package with the Nikon scope, is supposed to be real good as well.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Your not getting a Tikka for $450 any more. I bought my 300win in 2001 from BP on sale plus discount for applying for their CC for $270ish! Anyways for the price range you are looking for I think Savage would be your best bet. Try here http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=169315
    Thanks I asked over there. The hog hunter might be the ticket.

Look for a used Tikka T3. You can't get much better than that for the money. What's the rifles purpose? I own a Tikka T3 lite in 30-06 and for hunting, especially where weight is a concern this rifle is a TOP contender. Accurate as all hell and smooth as butter. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The purpose is for the range, to shoot 100-300 yards (mainly 200 and 300). May try out to 600 but that would be down the road. My dad wants something to have fun with.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    If its just for range use, and your not going to be trekking around carrying this thing get something (i.e. savage hog hunter) with some weight to it. Makes it that much more enjoyable to shoot for extended periods of time.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I love my Howa 1500. It has an adjustable trigger and a free floated heavy barrel in a new stock. With FGGM 168gr BTHP it's sub MOA. I put an SWFA 12X with the milquad reticle on and am very happy with it.
    I took the stock trigger in mine out for a 22 oz Jard. Replaced the stock with a Bell & Carlson Medalist with a full aluminum bedding block. Added an EGW 20 MOA offset rail and a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 FFP scope. It likes FGGM 168/175 pretty well also. Have not had the chance to stretch it out much with my busy shooting schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom