• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    For some reason I have been really interested in the 308 caliber. Is there an affordable C&R rifle chambered for that and if so what has been your experience with it? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have seen several Mausers chambered in .308 that are really affordable. I don't have one (yet) but really do like the 4 or 5 8mm Mausers that I do have. I would expect the .308 ones to be just as enjoyable.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Just a thought....

Remember, ALL firearms over 50 years old are automatically C&R's. So, if you find a seller on Gunbroker (or something similar) with something over 50 years old, PM him and check to see if he's willing to ship directly to a C&R FFL license holder.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    One of the pawn shops in Baltimore has a Winchester model 70 from 1964 in .308 listed on their web site for about the same price I have been seeing Mausers selling for.

If I had extra cash I'd drive down and look at it.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Remember, ALL firearms over 50 years old are automatically C&R's.
    Very important point. People are so used to thinking of C&R as World War II or earlier that we lose track of time. Today, anything made in 1962 is C&R...1963, in another 24 days. Keep careful track of the serial numbers. :)

That being said, CMP is doing .308 Garands.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Keep your eye open for one of these, an Ishapore Enfield. Picked one up years ago in much better than average shape, a lot of them will have a lot of stock repairs. They are fun shooters,fairly heavy substantial rifle so they are not bad recoil wise.

Attachments

• IMG_0870.jpg
      IMG_0870.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 345
    • IMG_0871.jpg
      IMG_0871.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 354
    • IMG_0873.jpg
      IMG_0873.jpg
      51.2 KB · Views: 343

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I agree, the Ishapore Enfields are fun 7.62x51 shooters. Keep your eye open for an M1916 Spanish Mauser rechambered in 7.62x51. SAMCO was selling M1916's for $170, but it seems they are out of stock. I have both rifles and load my own ammo for them. They're both accurate and fun shooters.

Attachments

• M1916 R DSC05740C.jpg
      M1916 R DSC05740C.jpg
      20.4 KB · Views: 334

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'd steer clear of small ring Mauser conversions, esp. considering that large ring conversions like the Israeli 98s and the Spanish FR-8 are available. Would rather there be a bit more metal supporting that chamber than the small ring affords.
    Remember that the Century .308 conversions of the MAS 49/56 and MAS 36 are NOT C&R eligible.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I'd steer clear of small ring Mauser conversions, esp. considering that large ring conversions like the Israeli 98s and the Spanish FR-8 are available. Would rather there be a bit more metal supporting that chamber than the small ring affords.
    Remember that the Century .308 conversions of the MAS 49/56 and MAS 36 are NOT C&R eligible.

I don't disagree with you mawkie. That's a reason I shoot only my handloads in my M1916. Samco had aggressive testing to failure done on the rifles they sold. It took some serious over pressure to destroy them.

Attachments

• Samco Test Results P1.JPG
      Samco Test Results P1.JPG
      162 KB · Views: 269
    Last edited:

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    The Spanish took mausers and modified them to use as either training rifles, or to take up the gap of the shortfall of the CETME semi-auto rifle, they are known as an FR-8, and an FR-7, one is built on a small ring mauser and has a bent bolt, the other is built on a large ring mauser and has a straight bolt handle, they are chambered in 308, same as the CETME, I have owned one of each, but sadly never fired either one, I no longer have them, you can find them on occasion on Gunbroker, the FR-8 seems to be more plentiful than the FR-7. They are nice little cabines.
    Oh, yes, these are C&R

dpd3672

Aug 5, 2010
    I picked up an Israeli 98K last year that's chambered in 7.62x51.

Really interesting history behind these rifles. After WW2, the confiscated German small arms were "donated" to Israel to get their defense program started. The Israelis rechambered them for .308 and used them for quite a while. Lots of them still have the original Nazi markings, right next to a Star of David that the Israelis put on them. They're also fairly cheap, in the sub-$300 range. Here's a couple pictures of mine:

untitled.jpg

009.jpg

untitled3.jpg

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I found an inexpensive 1916 Spanish Mauser in .308 at Timonium. Beautiful weapon and a great price. These guns were tested as noted above so I'm not worried, besides, I'm not planning on putting thousands of rounds through it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You'll have to check the s/n for production dates , but the early commercial .308s are now beyond the 50yrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom