• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I feel it's important to note that at those distances it's the SHOOTER.... FEW (if any) here are as good of shots as 3rdRCN and E.Shell (I don't ever venture into the long range section so I could be wrong).

Thanks for the compliment X-Factor! There are quite a few guys on here that I shoot with that I think are better shots than I am. That being said, I agree that alot has to do with the shooters ability and if the gun is capable of those distances. If a gun will shoot 1 MOA then you have a 10" at 1K gun, this will likely not be very competitive as it leaves no room for error. If a gun shoots 1/2 MOA then it is a 5" at 1K gun, this will be much more accurate at 1K and can be a competitive gun for shooting long distance. These numbers are assuming the caliber has the ability to stay stable out to 1K as well.

If you have the desire to shoot long range I would really suggest getting some good coaching. There are many factors that need work when going long such as body alignment, trigger discipline and rifle management just to name a few. I used to think that breathing was an important aspect but took some lessons from a very well respected long range shooter and discovered that breathing was over rated as far as what you should be thinking when behind the gun. Once you get those items down then you start working on the wind, which is a huge influence on almost every caliber when you go to 1K.

E. Shell has been a student of CVT for quite some time and he can vouch for the expertise of this particular gentleman's school. It is worth every dollar if your serious about shooting a "long" gun.

S.A.M.G.

Nov 7, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    .308 ammo will be easier to find than 6.5spc or 6.8 grendle. granted the 6. series shoots a bit flatter, the .308 can hit at great distances. Also .223 can hit at 500 but you really have to know your firearm to do that.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    .308 ammo will be easier to find than 6.5spc or 6.8 grendle. granted the 6. series shoots a bit flatter, the .308 can hit at great distances. Also .223 can hit at 500 but you really have to know your firearm to do that.

Define "hit". The Marines teach body shots at 500yds using iron sights on a standard 20" M16A2 with 5.56. Your groupings will not be "competitive" and it's debatable on it even being a killing hit in reality, but you certainly CAN get a targeting group at 500yds WITHOUT glass.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Define "hit". The Marines teach body shots at 500yds using iron sights on a standard 20" M16A2 with 5.56. Your groupings will not be "competitive" and it's debatable on it even being a killing hit in reality, but you certainly CAN get a targeting group at 500yds WITHOUT glass.

That's great for a young'n in their prime. As people age their eye's get older too ( from staring at computer screens ;) ), the glass portion comes in to help them out.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    I have to ask what you want a .308 for in the first place. Do you want it for deer hunting/target shooting or home defense? I have two. One is a Fulton Arms FAR 16 carbine with a 16" barrel for personal defense in/around the home. This gun has a red dot/visible laser sight for quick target acquisition. I never plan to shoot it at anything that's more than 25 feet away.

I also have a match-grade M1A1 using iron sights only for longer range, um, work. This gun is zeroed at 100 yards and will work under any lighting/vision conditions.

You have to desicde what you want your gun to do for you, and then pick out the one that fits the job. Kind of like buying a hammer. I have a 10 pount sledge, a 40 ounce drilling hammer, a 20 ounce claw hammer, and a 5 ounce tack hammer. Each one of these has a specific use and job to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom