• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Well I finally got to shoot my new 308 this past weekend to break in the barrel. Just screwing around with some Magtech ammo it shot ok, but not what I wanted or expected. Then I tried the Federal Premium with the Sierra 168 Match King, and boy did that make a difference. Five shot group of .4" at 100yds,and that was me shaking a bit. I'm shooting a SPS Tactical, and people say that gun loves that load. Anyone have a similar performing handload with a 168gr bullet? I plan to shoot this rifle alot, but those Federals are a bit pricey, so I definitely will be loading something for it. This is my first time playing with the 308 in a some what percision platform, so I'm not sure what powders seem to be the most accurate in this case. Accuracy is my top concern, as I plan to shoot this rifle in excess of 500yds.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have had good luck with Varget powder and .308.
    I shoot 150 grain rounds so you may want to work up a load for yourself.

Good luck!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Varget is the goto for the .308 and mid-to-heavy weight bullets, and you should be able to find a good load with anything from 150 to 190 grains.

FWIW, the FGMM .308 loads both use Sierra MatchKings and to emulate the factory load, RE-15 can be used with the 168 SMK.

The Hornady 168 A-Max is a good 168 that carries it's velocity well to long range and also performs well on game. I think it would be hard to go wrong with a box of Hornady 168 A-Maxes, a pound of Varget and a box of CCI-200s.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Varget is the goto for the .308 and mid-to-heavy weight bullets, and you should be able to find a good load with anything from 150 to 190 grains.

FWIW, the FGMM .308 loads both use Sierra MatchKings and to emulate the factory load, RE-15 can be used with the 168 SMK.

The Hornady 168 A-Max is a good 168 that carries it's velocity well to long range and also performs well on game. I think it would be hard to go wrong with a box of Hornady 168 A-Maxes, a pound of Varget and a box of CCI-200s.

need to try varget next time.. i've been using reloader 15 for the 168 hpbt (nosler)

cega

BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2010
    I've had nice results using Varget with Hornady 168gr BTHP and also Hornady 168gr AMAX. For whatever reason my particular .308 (DPMS) likes Hornady better than Sierra. I've not tried Berger or Nosler yet, though I might at some point.

Current I am loading to this recipe:

41.7gr of Varget in Federal cases
    CCI-200 primers (have also used Federal 210's with no discernible difference)
    168gr AMAX bullets

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I spent last Sunday putting 175gr. SMK's with Varget through my new .308, and got 200 yard groups so ridiculously small, I was sure I would never be able to repeat them. I'm getting 2750fps from a 24" barrel.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...Current I am loading to this recipe:

168gr AMAX bullets
    You're on the "low node" and at relatively low velocity (2,300-2,400 F/S).

Just for a reality check, I'm using 45+ with a 175/178 and getting past 2,600.... You could really up your charge to get closer to factory velocities and should be able to find the high accuracy node.

cega

BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Ed - Other than bumping up the charge slowly and watching for signs of high pressure do you any other suggestions (recipes etc) other than going out and buying a chrono?

I'd love to squeeze a bit more performance out of the round - though I am undoubtedly the limiting factor for sure

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've had nice results using Varget with Hornady 168gr BTHP and also Hornady 168gr AMAX. For whatever reason my particular .308 (DPMS) likes Hornady better than Sierra. I've not tried Berger or Nosler yet, though I might at some point.

Current I am loading to this recipe:

168gr AMAX bullets

For what it's worth, this is what I was getting compared to FGGM 175gr. factory loads (top row). I used 175gr Sierra Match Kings with Varget powder, CCI #200's, 24" 1:10 barrel, Winchester virgin brass:

velocities.jpg

44.3gr. of Varget reproduced FGGM pretty closely, but my best accuracy came from the 45.0 gr. loads.

DISCLAIMER: I bear no responsibility for the safety of these loads, or the safety of anyone reproducing these loads.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Thanks for all the input. I haven't been able to get back here to check this thread until today. I certainly have some ideas to try now ;) I have some Hornady TAP ammo I am going to try on my next outting, and maybe that will give me an idea how the rifle will like the Hornady bullets.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    my rem700 PSS loves the TAP 168. deer seem to be alergic to them. they get a lil woozie. unbelievable blood trail if they move at all

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    308.... I love that caliber. Alright, conventional wisdom says 168 for short to medium (to 600yards) range and 155 or 175 for long range depending on your twist rate. Then add RL15, varget, or imr 4064 and go shoot.

I have spend the last months messing with high energy powders and heavy weight/ high bc bullets. I am using a 1-11tw barrel currently. For 190gr bullets like the Berger vld, try VV-N540, W760 (you need a long drop tube), or RL17. For 208/210gr pills use RL17. I am shooting a 208gr A-max over 48gr of RL17 launching it at just over 2800fps. This has been chronographed by 2 choros of different make and model on seperate days and by drop validation at 600 and 1000yards. This is a MAX load, start low and work up if you go this route.

I will be shooting this combo Sunday at the f-class match if anyone is there and wants to see that I'm not full of crap or blowing primer pockets (4th reload, pockets still snug).

Let me know if you have any questions or need more load data.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Not to Hijack, but does anyone have a decent load for IMR 4895? I just got all of my equipment up for reloading and need to start tinkering. Just curious if anyone has any decent work ups to try...

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    Not to Hijack, but does anyone have a decent load for IMR 4895? I just got all of my equipment up for reloading and need to start tinkering. Just curious if anyone has any decent work ups to try...

I like IMR-4895.

I use 42.4gr in Win. brass and 175 SMK. CCI-BR2 primers. 2740fps

I have had good results with that load. Let me know how your testing goes.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I like IMR-4895.

I use 42.4gr in Win. brass and 175 SMK. CCI-BR2 primers. 2740fps

I have had good results with that load. Let me know how your testing goes.

I happen to have some 175smk's a the same primers here...gonna try this recipe out :thumbsup: I'm working with a 20" Rem700, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom