• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    @Daemon, don't exactly know where I could go to zero glass for 1K yds.
    Ft Meade was good for 600 yds, but they make it annoyingly difficult to shoot there.
    You don’t have to zero at 1000. Zero at 100-200. Then go to an open range day at Peacemaker.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I am by no means an expert on those calibers. I am mostly experienced with the 30-06, but shot the others. They are all closely related as far as recoil goes, but again, I have never done a side-by-side comparison. It will also depend on the ammo too.

Yeah, I thought about the ammo ( bullet weights) and for me, in the 30-06, and 270, and for heck, any rifle/shotgun I hunt with, recoil is basically manageable in all of these, because I am typically dressed for winter which leaves me plenty padded.

I typically shoot 150-165 gr in 30-06, 130-150gr in .270.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Outrider, please rate the recoil differences for these three hunting cartridges. .270, .308 and ,30-06
    I used to have a Ruger number 1 in .25-06, so I know how that feels.

I also feel as if my early 1950's Model 70 in .270 is just about the perfect deer rifle for me, but so is my Model 70 Classic Stainless with BOSS in .30-06.

In case you guys can't tell, I like my Pre 64 Model 70's. So, let's compare apples to apples of the .270, .308 and .30-06 in say your standard wood stocked rifle such as a Remington 700 BDL, Win Mod 70, Ruger M77, Savage Model 12.

Mostly interested in how the 308 compares since I really have only shot one once in my lifetime.
    I have and shoot all three. While the felt recoil is going to vary on the specific rifle and bullet/load, I'd rate general perceived recoil amongst the trio as .270<.308<.30-06. This is based on the hunting loads I shoot for each - 130, 150-165, and 180 gr respectively.

Last edited:

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    A couple companies now make small frame 308 ar10s that tip the scales under 7lbs. A good brake will tame recoil to levels even the most recoil shy can tolerate. It will however be loud! A suppressor can fix that though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A couple companies now make small frame 308 ar10s that tip the scales under 7lbs. A good brake will tame recoil to levels even the most recoil shy can tolerate. It will however be loud! A suppressor can fix that though.
    That doesn't sound bad. Any info on that would be appreciated.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Ft Meade was good for 600 yds, but they make it annoyingly difficult to shoot there.

Zero your glass for 100 and dial elevation for whatever distance you’re shooting.
    My .308 is zeroed at 100 and I can dial up all the way out to 1150 yards.
    Peacemaker has Frontier days several times a year where you can shoot steel for four hours out to 1100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It might seem cliche , but it's relavent . What's your purpose / parameter ?

Is Suppressed important to you ?

Do you already have an AR- 15 , set up exactly how you like it , and want to shoot .30 Caliber from it ?
    Agreed. If you love the AR platform then 300 Black. Maybe an AR in 300 Black and a 308 bolt action rifle.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Outrider, please rate the recoil differences for these three hunting cartridges.

I'm not Outrider , but rough rule of thumb with everything equal , disclaimer about particular heavy load with heavy for caliber bullet vs light load with light bullet in another , etc

.308 < .270 < .30-06

Minor differences , stock fit will make bigger difference in percieved recoil , and keep in mind .308 is usually using a short action , which will make a few oz difference in rifle weight .

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm not Outrider , but rough rule of thumb with everything equal , disclaimer about particular heavy load with heavy for caliber bullet vs light load with light bullet in another , etc

.308 < .270 < .30-06

Minor differences , stock fit will make bigger difference in percieved recoil , and keep in mind .308 is usually using a short action , which will make a few oz difference in rifle weight .
    @Biggfoot44

No worries, I only mentioned Outrider because he answered previous posts from the OP with this:
    If you love recoil, get the .308. If you hate recoil, 300 Blk is your game.

The only similarity the two cartridges hold is, they both make the same size hole. Other than that, there are no other similarities.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    As others have said, purpose matters.

I myself would not own anything in .300blk if I wasn't planning on suppressing it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Next phase in my learning (and likely buying) is deciding between these two calibers. What do you say, other than the buy one of each, if you had to choose between these two calibers what would it be (and why?)
    I've got both, and they do completely different things. Decide what you need to do first. It will make all such questions much easier.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    If you reload and like to shoot AR15s then get a 300 blackout if you want to go subsonic.

Do your due diligence if you want an AR10 308. I hear some problems have been noted on some models.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I would go 308 mainly for availability and I don't suppress my guns (yet atleast) but if you want less recoil, already have an AR15 lower and plan to suppress it a 300BO upper may not be a bad addition to a collection of barrels for one lower

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Pntc is the closest option for most people.
    What about your glass is limiting you?
    You don’t have to zero at 1000. Zero at 100-200. Then go to an open range day at Peacemaker.

Doc has seen me do the calcs in reverse. You can ask him, daemon, sundazes, outrider, etc about my experience in this area.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    As others have said, purpose matters.

I myself would not own anything in .300blk if I wasn't planning on suppressing it.
    This.

Doc has seen me do the calcs in reverse. You can ask him, daemon, sundazes, outrider, etc about my experience in this area.
    This, too.

If you are really interested in learning, see if you can talk 4g64loser into a lesson. I learned a ton in an afternoon. I gotta do that again soon….

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Pntc is the closest option for most people.hec

This right here. He knows his stuff!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

^^^^^This guy knows his stuff. That's all I'm going to say.

I need to get with you sometime so I can learn anything you'd be willing to share with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom