• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robm200219

Dec 7, 2016
    looking into distance shooting just starting out and would like everyones opinion on

Savage 10 FCP-SR 308 Win Bolt Action Rifle with 24-Inch Threaded Barrel

VS

Savage 10 FCP-SR 6.5 Creedmoor Bolt Action Rifle with FDE Stock and Threaded Barrel

Thanks

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    With both of those set ups about equal the 6.5 will be better in every way unless you like more recoil. The ballistics of the 6.5 isn't even close to the 308. There are some guys shooting 300 win mags that can compete with the 6.5 creedmoore but then you are using a long action. I was having this conversation today actually, the 308 has been made obsolete with the new 6.5mm bullets out there. Unless you require the use of NATO ammo when the zombies kill your family, go with the creedmoore.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    6.5 Creedmoor is more expensive, but yes, the ballistic numbers don't lie. Although I have seen some shooters say that inside of 500 yards it makes no or little difference. Is that true? Not sure. The reason I have a 308 bolt gun and not a 6.5 CM is that I have a 308 semi-auto (G3 clone) already and did not want to get yet another caliber.

And to make it even more complicated, there's 260 Remington that (I believe) is very similar to the 6.5 CM. The 260 Rem, 243 Win, and 7mm-08 are all based off of the 308 cartridge. If I am wrong please do correct me. [EDIT - are you going to reload? Then 260 Rem may be a better choice]

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I have both 308 and 6.5 creedmoor. Bottom line is this if your not shooting 1000 yards get the 308. If your shooting 1000 plus yards 6.5 creedmoor is the choice. At 500 yards both my 308 and 6.5 groups so close you can't tell the difference.(both can out shoot the shooter). Now the good thing is if you buy a 308 and shoot the barrel out or don't like it all you need to do is change the barrel to 6.5 and bang now you have a creedmoor or the other way around. In closing both are great choices both will do everything you want from them and more. 308 ammo is easier to find right now but 6.5 creedmoor can be found without looking to hard.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Did you consider the .260 Remington?

Easy to reload for, since it is a necked-down .308, and uses the 6.5 projectile.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For a non-reloader, both are great choices to get you into distance shooting. The 6.5 offerings definitely have the edge in downrange ballistics, but the barrel life takes a hit when compared to .308 rifles.

When I shot F-class (mid-range, 600 yards), there was a NOTICEABLE difference between my .260 and a fellow shooters .308 when comparing our DOPE for that range. I had less drop and less wind drift, and being a n00b I still shot a pretty decent score that day.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think people have hit on the high points of the 6.5 over the .308. Now the high points of the .308, it is still a 1000 yard cartridge. Better barrel life. If you want to use it for actually shooting at living things, it hits a lot harder within a few hundred yards (with the 6.5 creedmore better out past something like 500-700 because of the extra energy, keep in mind more weight and .308 diameter vs .256 diameter bullet makes a difference on terminal ballistics). For factory loaded ammo, .308 is a hell of a lot cheaper. Maybe I am not looking in the right places, but the cheapest I can find factory loaded 6.5 CM is around $1 a round. For the CHEAPEST. You can find .308/7.62, decent shooting even FMJ for plinking starting at around $.55 a round.

Yes if you reload you can ignore that.

.308 isn't as good at extreme distances and it recoils more. If I was using a lightweight rifle and wanted to shoot all day and reloaded and/or wanted to reach out past 1000 yards I'd go 6.5CM all day long. But if you are getting most of the chassis rifles these days, they are pretty heavy. Even the FCP-SR is 9lbs without a scope. If you are adding on a bipod, cheek riser and a full magazine and you are probably talking 11lbs if not closer to 11.5. I am no super man, but if I have a decent jacket on, I can take 20 rounds of .308 from my Sako without being sore later. 30 and I am a little sore the rest of the day. 40 or so and I'll start to show a bit of a bruise later. 50+ hurts.

That is with a rifle that weighs 8lbs 1oz with scope, sling and 5 rounds in the magazine. 3+lbs more and a better recoil pad and I'd imagine 100+ in an afternoon would be no problem with .308. Or get a recoil shield to go on your shoulder for extra padding. Or put a brake on the end of it.

I'd go with the rifle where if I was only shooting out to 300-400yds I can spend $40 on cheap, but decent shooting ammo for a whole afternoon of fun. Heck, PPU M80 shoots about 2MOA out of my Sako out to 100yds and actually is a little tighter at 200 and 300. It shoots about 1.5-1.8MOA at those distances. I haven't shot it past that, but if that holds up, you can ring 12" steel at 600 yards without too many misses if the wind doesn't screw with you and a good solid rest (I'd absolutely want something more like 168/175gr HPBT or ELD rounds if shooting last 600). I've certainly went 5/5 at 300yds with that M80 firing as fast as I could cycle the bolt and bring it back on target. Actually was about an 8" group on the steel doing that. 5" when I went slow and careful.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    6.5 Creedmoor is more expensive, but yes, the ballistic numbers don't lie. Although I have seen some shooters say that inside of 500 yards it makes no or little difference. Is that true? Not sure.

They are ballistically similar within 500yds. After that is where the 6.5 outshines the 308, especially in wind drift. Last time I was out with the 6.5 wind was gusting ~30+mph and I was holding less than half the windage the 308 folks were at 900yds.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Go with the 6.5. I have multiple 308s and decided to get a 6.5. It's not a cheap round by any means but if you reload it can be made from 243 brass, I figured it out. Like teratos mentioned the 260 from 308. I'm pretty sure Brad has done it for his 260.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 312

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the 6.5 has a better ballistic coefficient which just means that wind has less of an effect on it, so it gives you a little more cushion on wind calls vs the 308. the downside i've seen is that hits aren't quite as easy to spot, using a 6.5 in 140g vs a 308 in 175. there is a crapload of hornady 6.5 140 amax and ELD on the market at roughly 308 prices, so ammo cost and availability are similar between the two calibers.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Go with the 6.5. I have multiple 308s and decided to get a 6.5. It's not a cheap round by any means but if you reload it can be made from 243 brass, I figured it out. Like teratos mentioned the 260 from 308. I'm pretty sure Brad has done it for his 260.

Yep, I've used .308, 7mm-08, and .243 to form .260 brass - with pretty good end results. I've wound up turning the necks on all my brass, since I've noticed a fair amount of neck thickness variation.

Although sometimes I cheat and just pick up a box or two of Cor-Bon, since they use Lapua brass.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Yep, I've used .308, 7mm-08, and .243 to form .260 brass - with pretty good end results. I've wound up turning the necks on all my brass, since I've noticed a fair amount of neck thickness variation.

Although sometimes I cheat and just pick up a box or two of Cor-Bon, since they use Lapua brass.

I've been thinking about resizing, but is the juice worth the squeeze?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've been thinking about resizing, but is the juice worth the squeeze?

I make no excuses, for me it's always a $$ issue. Majority of my paycheck goes into tools and bills, so I don't have the expendable income that some others do.

Resizing/neck-turning, definitely works for me. I can't argue with the results it's given me so far, although I'm blessed to have a barrel that just plain shoots as well.

If you have the means to spend $1 a piece for Lapua brass, more power to you brother - I'm envious. But if you're a bit frugal, or just want to see what can be done with what you have on hand - it's worth the effort. :)

**Hell, I have Perfecta .308 brass that's on it's 11th/12th firing. It's by no means match grade brass, but it does what I want it to do.

200 yards, 3 rounds. 120gr PPU HP, Perfecta brass, 39.6gr Varget.
    13692_10206765340521522_8327518845011228311_n.jpg

300 yards, 4 rounds. 142gr SMK, assorted brass, 43.3gr H4350. (I misread the wind, pulled the last one just to verify I was hitting the damned thing.)
    15871562_10211860073246656_3554066562556074733_n.jpg

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    I make no excuses, for me it's always a $$ issue. Majority of my paycheck goes into tools and bills, so I don't have the expendable income that some others do.

Resizing/neck-turning, definitely works for me. I can't argue with the results it's given me so far, although I'm blessed to have a barrel that just plain shoots as well.

If you have the means to spend $1 a piece for Lapua brass, more power to you brother - I'm envious. But if you're a bit frugal, or just want to see what can be done with what you have on hand - it's worth the effort. :)

**Hell, I have Perfecta .308 brass that's on it's 11th/12th firing. It's by no means match grade brass, but it does what I want it to do.
    Brad...don't forget those monthly payments for your facelift and arse implants....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom