• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    While at the range today, I saw a couple 357's for sale. I'm on the fence between getting a 1911 or .357 revolver next. I handled both of them and they both felt comfortable. Have not had the chance to shoot either one of them and was wondering to get some reviews from those that have shot both.

The 686 was running at $809 and the GP100 was at $679 (I think)

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    While at the range today, I saw a couple 357's for sale. I'm on the fence between getting a 1911 or .357 revolver next. I handled both of them and they both felt comfortable. Have not had the chance to shoot either one of them and was wondering to get some reviews from those that have shot both.

The 686 was running at $809 and the GP100 was at $679 (I think)

****I own a 586 (blue'd version of 686) in 6inch and a GP100 in 6 inch. They are both very nice and beefy guns that can handle heavy loads without a hitch. I replaced the stock wood grips on the S&W with rubberized Pachmayer for comfort and fit as well as providing a bit more room to use HKS type speed-loaders.

The GP100's stock grips fit smaller hands a bit better out of the box and the metal finish is more forgiving of being caught out in the rain, is easy to polish, and clean lead fouling, etc..

I prefer the S&W's trigger feel and weight (about 9 lbs in double action) over the Ruger's and overall feel of the trigger in both DA and SA shooting - it is just smoother.

Both are very accurate in the right hands. I think from a resale value if you can afford it, buy the S&W as it seems to hold its value better over time perhaps due to the S&W name and heritage. I can sell my S&W for more than I paid for it but cannot say the same for my much newer Ruger.

If you need more of a utilitarian gun as a sidearm for hunting, or target shooting, etc.. get the Ruger.

Hope this helps a bit. Best thing is to shoot them both and make a decision..

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Both are very nice. Can't go wrong either way. Mainly personal preference. As said above, S&W usually has smoother triggers out of the box. Dry firing the Ruger hundreds of times will smooth it out a lot.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Both good guns but a no brainer for me...686. It was one of our carry guns when AD and it served very well. Being stainless it takes immersion in salt water very well.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For me, while both are revolvers, the GP 100 feels more 'nestled' in the hands. The 686, actually has the K frame sized grip frame, feels a little 'taller' in the hand to me. Both are nice. The 686 will most likely have a smoother action out of the box.

hhuff

Apr 28, 2012
    I own a 686 and a couple 1911s. They are all greet shooters though I prefer the 686, that might just be because that was my first purchase. FYI, someone mentioned speed loaders in a previous post and I thought I would post a link of some really nice speed loaders I picked up for my 686.

http://www.5starfirearms.com/357_7.html

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I own several S&W "L" frame revolvers. All very early no dash models. My suggestion would be to by an early vintage 686 and forget about any new ones. Chances are you won't regret that decision. Rugers are nice guns, very beefy, but lacking the fit, finish and trigger pull of the Smith. IMO, Ruger double-action revolvers are butt ugly.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Can't go wrong with either one. With a little work a GP-100 can get a real nice smooth double action weight.

I like the Rugers since I'm a lefty I find it easier to press in the cylinder release rather than push the latch forward like I have to do on a Smith.

Rugers are also flat out tanks. If you like hot, handbusting ammo, you will never have a problem with a Ruger shooting alot of that stuff.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I'm surprised you can find a 686. I looked and looked then gave up. I purchased a GP100 from an Industry Partner listed on this site. I'm in the wait period now. If you have access to a 686 in the length you're looking for, grab it.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    The Smith is going to have a better action then the Ruger. Test fire them both and I bet you will go home with the Smith, it just has a better DA pull.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    S&W 866. If one day you want to sell it the number of people who know the name Smith & Wesson far outnumbers the number of first time buyers who have heard of Ruger.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I'm surprised you can find a 686. I looked and looked then gave up. I purchased a GP100 from an Industry Partner listed on this site. I'm in the wait period now. If you have access to a 686 in the length you're looking for, grab it.

I was a bit surprised myself. They had both the above as well as a 686 plus.

From the overall sounds of it, it looks like the 686.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Can't go wrong with either one. With a little work a GP-100 can get a real nice smooth double action weight.

I like the Rugers since I'm a lefty I find it easier to press in the cylinder release rather than push the latch forward like I have to do on a Smith.

Rugers are also flat out tanks. If you like hot, handbusting ammo, you will never have a problem with a Ruger shooting alot of that stuff.

This.

Smith out of the box is a better trigger but Ruger is a tank.

MAKINTRAX

Nov 7, 2008
    Harford County MD
    I've owned 3 Ruger revolvers: Super Blackhawk, Redhawk and a Security Six. All were super tough, reliable revolvers. I still have the Security Six which was the predecessor of the GP100. With that said, I bought a S&W 686 Plus about 5 years ago after comparing it to the GP100 they had in stock. It was a really hard decision but the action/trigger was better on the Smith and I wanted the 7 round capability.

You definitely won't go wrong with either gun. They're both excellent.

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom