• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I do load alot of 45 ACP and 45 LC's that work well.
    I use 2 powders, Titegroup and Clays. Both work well.

I'm in the process of getting 38 special brass and bullets
    158 grain SWC lead and 158 grain FP copper bullets.

Gun is 38 SPL Ruger LCR 1.875" barrel.

158 GR. CAST LSWC Hodgdon Titegroup .358" 1.475" 3.2 815 11,500 CUP 3.8 920 15,400 CUP 158 GR.

HDY XTP Hodgdon Titegroup .357" 1.455" 3.5 704 12,400 CUP 3.9 798 15,900 CUP

Any advice.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I have a lot of brass and bullets for 38. Let me know if you are still looking for some.

Bullets are cast 148gr DEWC

Thank YOu. I've got a few boxes of primers, 300 brass so far
    and some bullets coming off of gunbroker.

Really don't want DEWC, just round nose.
    Can't get the gun for 6 more weeks so not in any hurry.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Still trying to learn the reloading lingo What does DEWC stand for? Some type of wad cutter? .38 Special is the round I plan to learn to reload with once I get started.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    DEWC = Double End Wad Cutter . Means totally flat on top and bottom. Usually can be flipped upside down and be the same either way. This is in contrast to :

HBWC = Hollow Base Wad Cutter . Flat on top , large hollow cavity in base. Ideally will expand the base just right for potimal sealing and accuraccy. More semsitive to pressure levels and velocities than DEWCs .

Wadcutters of either flavor are usually seated flush or nearly flush , taking up lots of powder space in the case. At least in theory this leads to better consistancy with small powder charges.

But plenty of good loads with RNs and SWCs will give sub - 1.0in groups so for short of championship level PPC , feel free to use bullet shape of your choice.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Was looking through some old stuff this past week, and found an almost full box (500 piece box) of Zero Brand 158 gr .38 LRN.
    These are SWAGED bullets and are soft. (That's why I still have them!)

I had loaded some of these (years ago!), and they left a LOT of lead in the barrel of my mdl 19-4.

I'm not going to count these out. Just not interested in counting that high. :D
    IF memory serves me, I loaded 50 rounds and then set the box aside.
    Anyone interested in these????

Make me an offer. (Hint. . . . $20.00 will guarantee a sale! Ha!)
    If you want them, I'll meet you somewhere in/around So. MD.

I'm in whereinthehelliswaldorfmaryland. :D

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I do load alot of 45 ACP and 45 LC's that work well.
    I use 2 powders, Titegroup and Clays. Both work well.

I'm in the process of getting 38 special brass and bullets
    158 grain SWC lead and 158 grain FP copper bullets.

Gun is 38 SPL Ruger LCR 1.875" barrel.

158 GR. CAST LSWC Hodgdon Titegroup .358" 1.475" 3.2 815 11,500 CUP 3.8 920 15,400 CUP 158 GR.

HDY XTP Hodgdon Titegroup .357" 1.455" 3.5 704 12,400 CUP 3.9 798 15,900 CUP

Any advice.

I just today worked up some test rounds with the Titegroup and the 158 Gr. Lead SWC. 10 rounds each starting at 3.2 and going up in .1 grain increments thru 3.8. I'm gonna try them in a 1.75 inch Smith and a 6 inch Taurus. I'll be interested to see how they group from each gun. If I remember, I'll give my results after my outing.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    DEWC = Double End Wad Cutter . Means totally flat on top and bottom. Usually can be flipped upside down and be the same either way. This is in contrast to :

HBWC = Hollow Base Wad Cutter . Flat on top , large hollow cavity in base. Ideally will expand the base just right for potimal sealing and accuraccy. More semsitive to pressure levels and velocities than DEWCs .

Wadcutters of either flavor are usually seated flush or nearly flush , taking up lots of powder space in the case. At least in theory this leads to better consistancy with small powder charges.

But plenty of good loads with RNs and SWCs will give sub - 1.0in groups so for short of championship level PPC , feel free to use bullet shape of your choice.

Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I have a bunch of 38 special brass if anyone's interested. I no longer reload it so its taking up space.

Free for pickup.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom