• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.Dasher

Mar 14, 2012
    Hello all,anyone have expericence and or thoughts on the 38 Super on a 1911 platform for Self Defense/CCW? The preformance and loading data look good on paper,but we all know the real world and paper world are two different things.Any unique problems or issuses that make it less popular than the 45acp or 9mm Luger? Thank you for your time and help,Dee.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    That round was very common in Mexico when they could legally own them because the 9mm and .45ACP was banned for civilian ownership.

Since the development of the .40 S&W and .357SIG I am not sure how many good defensive loads are available for the Super.

When Colt brought the guns out, they had the round headspace on the rim, it is a "semi rimmed" round, and accuracy wasn't as good as other rounds. Today that shouldn't be an issue.

For game guns, IPSC, it is a very good round, not sure about CCW.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you're going for increased terminal effects over a standard .45 acp 1911, u'd be better served looking at a .460 rowland kit. U can shoot 45 acp, 45 super, or .460 rowland depending on how much smack you want to lay down(and how much you want your ears to go kaboom).

.38 super is nifty for competition because you can make bigger power factors, and the higher pressures make comps work better. For defense, .45 just makes a bigger crush cavity, or you could get something in 9mm+p+ and have similar ballistics with 18 rnds or so(glock 17/m&p 9)

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=235
    something 230 grains and 1350 fps can certainly pack a whollop.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

The 38 Super is a great round in a 1911...

UNTIL you check out the PRICE & AVAILABILITY of AMMO...

And the price & availability of Magazines & Reloading Brass...

Sticking with 9's or 45's is simply the practical thing to do...

UNLESS you simply have way too much money...

BUT it is a fun round to shoot...

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I'm thinking about getting into 38 Super myself. Defensive ammo is a bit harder to shop for with .38 Super, but it's a fun round nonetheless.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    sgt preston is correct and you should heed his words.

i think most USPSA open shooters have switched to 9mm major. if you are buying or building an open gun today, you are probably building a major 9. so even the meager supplies of .38 super around today do not have good prospects for the future. try to find 9x23, 9x21 or supercomp if you want an idea of what the future will be like finding 38 super.

that said, awesome round and runs great in 1911.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    38 Super is a good round, but it hasn't been popular for decades till it came back for major power loads in competition, but then faded again with hotter 9mm loads and newer calibers like 40S&W. It has the capability of matching 357sig and light 357mag loads, which tend to have good penetration and performance, with a lot of flash and noise. It can also handle much heavier bullets than 9X19 without losing as much velocity as a caliber with less case capacity. The problem is first that commercial loads are anemic, basically matching 9X19+p, they don't get anywhere near full pressure or full velocity. They also are limited to 45ACP frames, and won't fit in short 9mm framed handguns. There have been a few attempts to bring 38 Super back in one way or another, IMO Win 9X23 was the most promising it was a slightly improved 38 super, stronger case, rimless, realistic pressure specs, and the promise of new pistols and ammo, but it didn't catch on either. So while 38 super is a great round in concept, the lack of factory support has basically killed it twice.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    .400 cor-bon falls into the above catagories also, fun to shoot but near impractical cost -wise due to necked cases, i find i shoot my 1911's in .45 and 9mm almost exclusively

my 9mm last week...
    this was after 100 rds...best i remember there are 16 holes in the pic
    b5a796a1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom