• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    Just lookin through my reloading manual, and again was reading about .38 super. Are they still around,or manufactured? Anyone on the forum shoot em?:)

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    .38 Super has peaked my interest as well. I do know that Rock Island makes a 1911 in .38 Super, but I believe that I was told that it is a special order item.

MH

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would so love a 1911 in .38 super. The only problem with that is that I would need to get into reloading.....then I'm really in trouble.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    .38 super is not common but very much still alive.

I ordered a Witness slide in this caliber (they also have a 25rd mag) but unfortunately they couldnt match my wonder finish and could only do blue.

Shame, at some point I may try again. EAA's customer service in the order process was good and the girl was very helpful and a little alluring, flirtacious.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I'm calling now.....

Ask her if she still has the long slide I ordered in wonder (and they got blue) in her desk, that I canceled. She made a point of emphasizing that. Sounded like a girl who wouldnt settle for having a short or compact slide in her drawers.

(Please dont ban me!)

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I have pistol on order now .I was very seriously thinking about 38 -super. than I thought of all related in a caliber change and all ,I don't shoot UPPSA just a little bullseye. so I stuck with what I know 45acp.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have pistol on order now .I was very seriously thinking about 38 -super. than I thought of all related in a caliber change and all ,I don't shoot UPPSA just a little bullseye. so I stuck with what I know 45acp.

What did you end up getting

clarkcondor

Mar 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    it's fun for the sound. have 2 colt 1911s in 38 super. ammo is a bit expensive (twice as much as 9mm) so i don't shoot them as much as i would like. perhaps one of the ranges may have a rental gun in 38 super to try?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Anyone attest to the quality of Armscor?

Other than them using a nonstandard dovetail size on the RIA Tactical version, the gun is rather good.

Decent shooter. Some folks on a 1911 forum claim to have 10,000+ rounds out of their RIA guns with no issues. Colt and S&W guns are better looking, but for the $$, a good buy.

fisunshine

Feb 17, 2010
    they rule the open division in USPSA.
    i know a guy who carry's one in a 1911 for his CCW and he loves it.
    i think you would have a hard time buying ammo at your wa*marts and b&sspros but i iknow atlanta arms and ammo sells rounds for it. more of a competition load/practice load.
    you can find 38 super defense rounds on the net i am sure.

fisunshine

Feb 17, 2010
    be careful when you purchase gun or ammo. make sure they are the same caliber.
    38 supercomp is also big in the USPSA game also and the cartridges are slightly different. i forget exactly what it is but it has something to do with the rim of the brass.
    really no difference in feel or ballistics to the best of my knowledge it just has to do with the ejection of the round

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    be careful when you purchase gun or ammo. make sure they are the same caliber.
    38 supercomp is also big in the USPSA game also and the cartridges are slightly different. i forget exactly what it is but it has something to do with the rim of the brass.
    really no difference in feel or ballistics to the best of my knowledge it just has to do with the ejection of the round

The 38 Supercomp's rim is even with the case body whereas the 38 Super's rim sticks out slightly, due to that the 38 SC runs a little smoother is doublestack mags. The only difference in the gun is the extractor, and sometimes you can get an extractor that will run both. When I had a singelstack 1911 built in 38 Super I had them fit a 38 SC extractor as well because that's what I was shooting in competition at the time. Great cartridge(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom