• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I think he'll win. 3rd circuit has some decent case law on the matter (I forget the name, it was an en banc case).
    This guy's crime is more or less minor fraud over 20 years old. Not even a close call.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    The hearing was today… one of the judges was on fire!

see the fpc thread here… the questions of… could jaywalking forever deny a person, if it were a felony?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The hearing was today… one of the judges was on fire!

see the fpc thread here… the questions of… could jaywalking forever deny a person, if it were a felony?

Nothing like a Govt Lawyer cutting his own throat. I think he may not win his re-election with that comment.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    The OP article didn't mention it so I'll ask. How is he a prohibited person? Not a felon, not a multiple DWI, so what's the criteria he met to be prohibited? Is any misdemeanor conviction in PA a disqualifier?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    The OP article didn't mention it so I'll ask. How is he a prohibited person? Not a felon, not a multiple DWI, so what's the criteria he met to be prohibited? Is any misdemeanor conviction in PA a disqualifier?
    Believe it’s similar to MD law where the crime is punishable over a certain limit. Doesn’t matter if the time was served.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I’ve always figured that enough would be illegal, trivial things but with raised penalties, so that .gov, at its discretion, could find a way to prohibit anyone. The 3 felonies per day theory.

And the .gov attorney in this case seems to agree with the theory. Jaywalking. What else? next? Now?

and they also note that no other right, speech religion protest search etc, is so limited. Seems Scalia and Thomas view of a 2nd tier right was correct.

I realize that as we talk among ourselves here, we’re all preaching to the choir.

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”

Ayn Rand

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    The article referenced in, and the first post itself seems to say it was food stamp fraud. Non violent felony, per the article.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    At first I was skeptical because I thought the guy was a convicted drugrunner/gangbanger which sounds violent to me.
    But then it states that he is Prohibited from carrying a gun BECAUSE he was carrying a gun?!

GTFO

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Believe it’s similar to MD law where the crime is punishable over a certain limit. Doesn’t matter if the time was served.
    Federal law. ATF Form 4473 question 21(d) specifies conviction for a Felony or "any other crime" (e.g. a misdemeanor) for which you  could have been sentenced to more than 1 year in prison.

So this depends on the max sentence for the state in which one was convicted.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    If you can vote you can buy and carry a firearm anyway you see fit. This is the way
    maxresdefault.jpg

IMHO no misdemeanor should cancel COTUS-guaranteed rights. IF it truly is a serious, make it a felony. This is not serious, but he stole from the crown which is worse to the crown than stealing from anyone else. Give his record of one conviction, paid the sentence and restitution paid, he paid his debt to society.

Prohibited from exercising a COTUS-guaranteed right because he exercised that COTUS-guaranteed right. Legal system vs justice system.

Last edited:

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    View attachment 467192

IMHO no misdemeanor should cancel COTUS-guaranteed rights. IF it truly is a serious, make it a felony. This is not serious, but he stole from the crown which is worse to the crown than stealing from anyone else. Give his record of one conviction, paid the sentence and restitution paid, he paid his debt to society.

Prohibited from exercising a COTUS-guaranteed right because he exercised that COTUS-guaranteed right. Legal system vs justice system.
    I think even felons should have thier rights. If the system works they are reformed. If they cant be trusted to have a firearm then they should still be in prison being reformed.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I think even felons should have thier rights. If the system works they are reformed. If they cant be trusted to have a firearm then they should still be in prison being reformed.

This theory is all based on a prison "reforming" a convict. We all know this doesn't happen often and in fact a very good case can be made that prison hardens people and is more likely to make them more of a criminal than anything else.

I do not believe prison reforms people - I think it punishes them and makes them waste copious amounts of their precious time. IMO - violent crimes should make it so a person can never get their right to own and carry a gun ever again.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    This theory is all based on a prison "reforming" a convict. We all know this doesn't happen often and in fact a very good case can be made that prison hardens people and is more likely to make them more of a criminal than anything else.

I do not believe prison reforms people - I think it punishes them and makes them waste copious amounts of their precious time. IMO - violent crimes should make it so a person can never get their right to own and carry a gun ever again.
    I dont disaagree with you that way things are currently. I actually agree with you. But what that tells us is 2 things. 1st If someone goes to prison its most likely better for society to keep them there in its current form.
    Second and more importantly our system is broken especially prisons and we need to fix that. No its not an easy answer and I havent the slightest clue where to even begin. But this is something we should be looking into. Prison was meant to reform and it doesnt. So what else can we do. Again if we cant trust them with a weapon how can we trust them to walk amongst us and our Wives and Children.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    1st If someone goes to prison its most likely better for society to keep them there in its current form.
    Second and more importantly our system is broken especially prisons and we need to fix that.
    We?

"We" need to preserve the rights of citizens as intended by the Founding Fathers.

The rest is up to The State to figure out how to "reform" prisons.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    We?

"We" need to preserve the rights of citizens as intended by the Founding Fathers.

The rest is up to The State to figure out how to "reform" prisons.

I believe people are inherently good or inherently evil. A lot of this is based on their upbringing, but not all - some people are just born wrong. If someone is inherently evil, then past a very young age I believe there is no reform ever. Those who are inherently good, I believe there is no need to reform them. They just made a bad choice and would have chosen differently under different circumstances.

The problem I see is that in the 60s, the number of inherently good outweighed the number of inherently bad. That is changing nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom