• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    We're heading out for Deep Creek tomorrow to check in for a 4-day rental before heading on over to Pittsburgh for my cousin's wedding up in Cranberry Twp.

I've only stayed in the vicinity once before and that was for a family reunion where we stayed and cooked at the house for a long weekend. What are some good places to eat? And are there any we should avoid like the plague?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    How much you looking to spend? There’s a really nice resort about 45 minutes up US-40, but it’s a little pricey. Nemacolin is the place. It’s owned by Joe Hardy - the guy who started 84 Lumber. It’s not Deep Creek, it’s up the road a bit. There are a lot of restaurants up there.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Honi Honi / Uno has good fish & chips. The salmon is pretty tasty too.
    *****Yes. I've never had a bad meal at Honi Honi and they often have a variety of entertainment on weekends during the season, usually some kind of music including classic 80's and 90's type bands. Really nice family atmosphere if you have kids or a young girlfriend, etc..

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Pine lodge is very nice, in McHenry. Dutchess at Silver Tree, Aces Run, and Firewater are very good. Casselman bakery for breakfast. Unos is ok. Brenda's pizza.

I don't care for any of the barbecue places up here.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Good suggestions above. JG's pub is a also good choice for standard bar fare +. Tried it the last time we were there this spring after a day of hiking with the dog. Very causal and very good.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    There is a nice little Italian place called Brenda's right on the lake. Great views. I got the Sriracha pasta when I was up there this week. It was very good.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Thanks, everyone!
    We were supposed to leave today, but the kiddo got hit with a case of strep throat and we're giving the azithromycin 24 hours to kick in before we head on over. Luckily, the doc didn't think it was Covid and there were clear signs of strep (and no cough or other Covid symptoms). That gives us M/T/W to try out places for dinner. Everything you guys have suggested so far looks great!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Brenda Pizza and Aces Run...it's getting hard to find quality places near the lake not owned by the same folks who own Brenda's. I believe she's up to three or four locations and all are good. Skip the bar/lounge they just opened at Aces Run.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Katie’s is a soft serve ice cream place that’s really good if you like that sort of thing. Hardly ever a line cause most tourists stick to the creamery and uno’s which I never go to during season. I agree with others that Brenda’s is good. I haven’t made it to Ace’s but my wife has and said we are definitely hitting it next weekend. Dutch’s was incredible the first three times I went but the last two, last fall and spring it was way off. We are going to give them one more chance. Their prices dictate the food should be very good. They also have chain places like ledos and green turtle. If your looking to grab breakfast on the run Arrow head has good stuff. If it’s near empty you can order but I usually grab from the hot to go bin. Hope you have a great time!!

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    We go to Deep Creek Lake a couple times a year. These are the spots we always keep going back to. Brenda's Pizzaria, Mountain State Brewery, Arrowhead Market for carry out, Deep Creek Donuts made fresh to order and the kids love watching them get made, Cabin Lodge Grill - Roadside stand with picnic tables, memphis hot chicken is pretty good, Moonshadow - outside seating with cornhole and firepit, Honi Honi.

We weren't impressed with Aces Run. Nice view but it just wasn't as good as we thought it would be. It's been a few years since we tried it though.

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    The last couple times we've been there have been staffing shortages and long waits to get seated at a couple restaurants. Make reservations if you can.

reccitron

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Pine Lodge Steakhouse for a great steak or crab cakes. They are known for their crab soup. If you are in the area Thur - Friday JGS pub is open and they have great cheesesteaks and grinders as well as other great food

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    We wound up hitting up Dutch's and Firewater while we were there as well as Casselman Bakery and Arrowhead Market.

Dutch's: I had a very good NY strip. It was pricey but worth it based on the size of the steak and the quality. Pricing on some of the fish dishes was very high in my opinion, especially for what you get. My wife's aunt really enjoyed her crab imperial, but my wife had the same dish, and while it was good, she didn't feel it justified the cost. Seems to be one of the "worth it to some, not to others" kind of places depending on what you're going for. I like the atmosphere, my steak was great, our apps were good, but my whiskey sour was pure lemon juice and whiskey which ain't so good (and this wasn't the only place we experienced this). I liked it and thought it was worth the money.

Firewater: My wife and I both had the scallops and my son had the cheeseburger. The margarita I had was very, very good, and the cider they had on tap was also excellent. My son gobbled up the cheeseburger with smoked cheddar and my wife and I both like the sea scallops with smoked cheddar and bacon grits. The veggies were broccoli and snowpeas which were fine, but they were just kind of tossed on top, so the plating/presentation lacked a bit. The creme brulee for dessert was torched too heavily, but that's because it was humid and they were struggling to get the sugar to caramelize (I know this from years of experience). The view was fantastic, even from the indoor window-side seating, and the pricing was fairly good. We'd go back for sure.

Casselman Bakery: Excellent. I liked everything we had there. Great breakfast sandwiches and good biscuits and gravy. The pecan roll was delicious when warmed up, and the cookies and banana bread were both great.

Arrowhead: We grabbed some sides for our dinner here the first night and really liked everything. Good, big shrimp for cocktail or P&E, and reasonably priced for the area. Excellent marinated olives with a great spicy kick, good mac & cheese, and some really good pasta salad. We'd definitely hit it up again.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! We weren't disappointed by anything. I wish we had more time to spend there, but I had to get to a wedding in Pittsburgh (where I had another BAD whiskey sour that was just whiskey and lemon juice!)

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Mnt State Brewery is on our list whenever we go. Good pizza and some tasty beers. Visit every time we go there. Honi Honi / Unos is always good spot to sit outside listen to band and grab some grub. Playground is nice for the kiddos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom