• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ Fanboy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 19, 2013
    I tend to like 4", but for long range purposes, 6" will be 2 more inches of added velocity and power.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I do like the idea of these packs with different barrels, but after a quick search it seems they aren't readily available to buy. Are there any other revolvers with easy change barrels? I originally wanted the Rhino, but only the 2" is on the MD handgun roster board :envy: is it possible/difficult to switch barrels on the 686? :rolleyes:

PRetty much just Dan Wesson, that was their innovation. You would have to buy used but 99% of pistol packs saw one barrel (typically the 6") used somewhat and the rest mothballed in oil. They are good guns.

Barrels come up on ebay periodically, not cheap but being able to get different lengths in the mail will be very helpful post 10/1. Much easier in blued guns (still trying to get a reasonably priced 4" barrel for my stainless field 715).

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Dan Wesson let's you shoot all classes in the same match.

I'd love to see one of these run well in competition, but I've not even seen one on a course of fire. Not saying it can't be done, but lets just say it's an unconventional choice for IDPA. I'm guessing a weak hand speedloader reload where the strong hand stays on the grip is the appropriate go fast technique. I'm guessing that k frame safariland speedloaders fit it, too.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I'd love to see one of these run well in competition, but I've not even seen one on a course of fire. Not saying it can't be done, but lets just say it's an unconventional choice for IDPA. I'm guessing a weak hand speedloader reload where the strong hand stays on the grip is the appropriate go fast technique. I'm guessing that k frame safariland speedloaders fit it, too.

It was primarily my IHMSA piece but I took it along for IPSC/IDPA. Strong hand staying on the grip can only mean whipping the cylinder. For the front release I transfer to weak hand releasing cylinder and ejecting empties. Insert speedloader and close cylinder while returning to strong hand.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

Attachments

• Dan Wesson.jpg
      Dan Wesson.jpg
      74.3 KB · Views: 186

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Id choose the 6 inch barrel for target & hunting work. They are easier to shoot & aim, and more accurate. In Maryland you need a barrel length of at least 6 inches to legally hunt with. The 357 Mag will meet the energy requirements as well.

You will also end up with a little bit better velocity in the longer barrel.

If the gun is going to be a dedicated carry gun, then the short barrel may be more in order.

+1 on the first part of the comment. I, myself, prefer a barrel length of 6 - 8 inches to maximize energy and give an adequate sighting radius for best accuracy. HOWEVER, that being said, I disagree with the energy requirement part of the statement. Please be aware that most .357 loads DO NOT meet Maryland requirements for a deer hunting round (700 ft-lbs). Once upon a time Maryland Handgun energy requirements for deer were only 600 ft-lbs...and at that time many loads (even then not all of them) could reach 600 ft-lbs and were considered adequate for deer. Loadings that do meet energy requirements reach the 700 ft-lb requirement by 1) use of light weight projectiles (not as desireable for hunting deer) and/or 2) use of LONGER barrel lengths such as 8" or even greater! That means that even the 6" barrel may not deliver the ft-lbs needed although my 10" T/C Contender barrel can eeasily reach 700 ft-lbs with the 10" barrel. The average .357 round will only produce from 500 - 600 ft-lbs of energy with jacketed bullets unless you drop projectile weight down to around 125 grains or less with an otherwise maximum loading. I don't know first hand how sticky Md DNR Police will be about this if they find you with a .357 mag, but it is certainly an issue according to the law and we teach in our Hunter Safety class that .357 is marginal at best precisely because of the energy requirements...not just our own personal opinions on the matter. Frankly, if the OP really wants to hunt deer, he is better off with a heavier caliber such as the 44 mag. All that said, if he is primarily a target shooter and he wants to compete in a discipline that limits barrel length to 4", then, IMHO, that is what he should get as .357 is such a marginal round for deer hunting. On the other hand, if he is actually going to do mostly informal target shooting, I would think the 6" would be more to his liking. Just my 2 cent!

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    My .02 worth. Go with a 6" S&W Model 19. I own a 4" S&W 586, a 6" S&W 686 and a 2.5 inch Ruger Security Six. For me, the most accurate of the bunch is the 19.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I am surprised that gunsmiths are not modifying revolvers to be switch barrels like the Dan Wesson. It is a very simple concept. Rifled tube threaded at both ends. Bore out factory barrels to fit over the tube. Cut back the front for a barrel nut and add a locating pin at the back. Especially for competition pieces so you train with one grip and trigger. You just set your barrels up for the various classes and switch as needed.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Unfortunately, the usefulness of changing barrels on the same frame in action pistol matches is often nullified by needing a more significant change in gun characteristics to remain competitive.

Without going into the details, ideally, you'd have multiple frames with multiple calibers and multiple capacities and multiple barrel lengths to compete in different revolver friendly games. Unless you're switching between precision shooting games (say handgun silhouette to bullseye), sticking with the same action provides less benefit than swapping from six shot .38 special in IDPA SSR to .45 ACP in USPSA to an 8 shot .38 in ICORE Limited.

Last edited:

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    I have a Ruger GP100 (GP141) w/4" barrel. It is fine and recoil is nominal.

Dave

I own .357 GP 100's with barrel lengths of 4" and 6". The 6" is more accurate at 25+ yards and the recoil is slightly less than the 4". The 6" does allow me to get on target quicker for the second shot since it has less muzzle rise.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    +1 on the first part of the comment. I, myself, prefer a barrel length of 6 - 8 inches to maximize energy and give an adequate sighting radius for best accuracy. HOWEVER, that being said, I disagree with the energy requirement part of the statement. Please be aware that most .357 loads DO NOT meet Maryland requirements for a deer hunting round (700 ft-lbs). Once upon a time Maryland Handgun energy requirements for deer were only 600 ft-lbs...and at that time many loads (even then not all of them) could reach 600 ft-lbs and were considered adequate for deer. Loadings that do meet energy requirements reach the 700 ft-lb requirement by 1) use of light weight projectiles (not as desireable for hunting deer) and/or 2) use of LONGER barrel lengths such as 8" or even greater! That means that even the 6" barrel may not deliver the ft-lbs needed although my 10" T/C Contender barrel can eeasily reach 700 ft-lbs with the 10" barrel. The average .357 round will only produce from 500 - 600 ft-lbs of energy with jacketed bullets unless you drop projectile weight down to around 125 grains or less with an otherwise maximum loading. I don't know first hand how sticky Md DNR Police will be about this if they find you with a .357 mag, but it is certainly an issue according to the law and we teach in our Hunter Safety class that .357 is marginal at best precisely because of the energy requirements...not just our own personal opinions on the matter. Frankly, if the OP really wants to hunt deer, he is better off with a heavier caliber such as the 44 mag. All that said, if he is primarily a target shooter and he wants to compete in a discipline that limits barrel length to 4", then, IMHO, that is what he should get as .357 is such a marginal round for deer hunting. On the other hand, if he is actually going to do mostly informal target shooting, I would think the 6" would be more to his liking. Just my 2 cent!

Thats depends on what you feed your 357 Mag. Standard SAAMI 357 may be marginal, but Buffalo Bore offers ammo that surpases the 700FT lbs of energy in the 357 Mag. That ammo would be legal, and would take a deer if within handgun range:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom