• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UNCLE WAWA

May 16, 2005
    FREDNECK,MD
    I have the XDM in .45 and love it far more than my Glock. You should also look into the Viridian SXD if you have interest in a laser. There wasn't that much of a weight difference when added...I bought mine from Dan at Gun Connection, great guy. Good luck on your purchase.
    thanks i was thinking of the surefire mk 4 ? laser light combo

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    I looked into that combo before settling with the SXD. I didn't like the large light potruding from the barrel. Let me know how you like it.

The green laser is also visible in daylight. Just in case you had intentions on using it for target practice in daylight.

UNCLE WAWA

May 16, 2005
    FREDNECK,MD
    I looked into that combo before settling with the SXD. I didn't like the large light potruding from the barrel. Let me know how you like it.

The green laser is also visible in daylight. Just in case you had intentions on using it for target practice in daylight.
    GOOD POINT maybe more investigation needed, what was the cost of the viredian ?

UNCLE WAWA

May 16, 2005
    FREDNECK,MD

looked at the viridian, looks good reviews all good too one common thread on reviews stated buttons were small and hard to work with.
    Your thoughts ? also would a grip switch be better ?
    thanks

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    I guess it all depends on hand size. The buttons are on both sides just past the trigger guard. Tap the button on either side to turn on and tap both simultaneously to change pulse rate. Quite simple and user friendly for either right/left hand shooters. I can send a pic via email so you have an idea what you are dealing with.

kimsmells

Feb 15, 2010
    Maryland
    I figured out this way. Pick the guns you would like. Then go try em out. Feel how they feel in your hands, youll know the perfect gun when you hold it. And when I tried the XDM out at gun connection, they gave me some other ones in the same size and caliber to try out too. Turns out the XDM was the one i decided would be mine.

UNCLE WAWA

May 16, 2005
    FREDNECK,MD
    looking for a reliable pistol for target and some day god willing a carry gun :lol2:
    any thoughts im not a fan of sigs and can't afford an sti
    well the decision has been made. thanks to all for your great ideas.
    I ended up getting a black XDm 40 cal. 4.5 and the gun shop in Essex md.:lol:
    cheapest price out the door was 640.00 including tax, msp fee and lock.
    also getting the Viriden laser light combo green laser and 200 lumen light.:party29:

Ahh the wait begins :innocent0

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    well the decision has been made. thanks to all for your great ideas.
    I ended up getting a black XDm 40 cal. 4.5 and the gun shop in Essex md.:lol:
    cheapest price out the door was 640.00 including tax, msp fee and lock.
    also getting the Viriden laser light combo green laser and 200 lumen light.:party29:

Ahh the wait begins :innocent0

Sweet. I love my XDM 40. You will be very happy. Can't wait to hear about the laser.:thumbsup:

CallMeIshmael

New Shooter
    Dec 25, 2010
    HoCo
    I have never even heard of the EMP, but I know that it's always how it feels that's what's important.

I've gone to the ranges and rented out many a firearm, and it always depends on how it feels in your hands.

for carry, it depends on if you want to concealed carry and whatnot. target can largely depend on how much you are willing to shell out for ammo. of course 9mm are cheaper than 40 cal are cheaper than 45 cal, but if the end intent to carry, i would emphasize that part as opposed to just shooting paper.

when you carry, you want to determine the weight, such as do you notice it when you are carrying it.

you also want to determine stopping power, as well as mag capacity.
    9mm typically have the most mag capacity of the three calibers, but the lowest stopping power. I say this and urge you to refer to the FBI miami shootout, where the 9mm was insufficient in stopping the targets. the robbers were still able to shoot back after being hit.

most LEA went to the .40 S&W after that incident, but people like to carry the 45 for its stopping power.

we could go on and on about what caliber, mag cap, weight , etc. but you must consider those if you intend to carry.

now considering brand, that's also an issue of how it feels in your hands, but glocks, sigs, XDs M&Ps and rugers are all talked about on these forums, and some people are die hard fans of a particular brand.(brand whores! jk) the importance is to try before you buy.

CallMeIshmael

New Shooter
    Dec 25, 2010
    HoCo
    and again, i think i posted a little too late for the OP. but the info is still pertinent to the issue especially for future purchasers.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Uncle Wawa - I just made my decision on my first semi after searching and trying for 3 months. I was fortunate to get some really good advise that made the decision much easier. It basically came down to how the firearm felt to YOU - not anyone else.

1. Hold as many of them as possible (Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, local shop). It if doesn't feel comfortable in your hand, probably not a good fit for you.

2. Take the time to go to a range and rent and shoot the ones that felt good holding. Use the same brand ammo (unfortunately rental guns require you to buy the range's ammo) with each of them. If you have no experience with semi's, get a lesson or two before firing. Good, consistent basics will allow each of the guns to be "tested" more accurately.

3. Do it again a week or two later, especially if you have not fired a semi before.

I had a preconceived idea of the gun that was "best" for me until I actually threw some rounds downrange. The difference between the 5 I had narrowed it down to was eye-opening.

Needless to say, I am not going to prejudice you with what I ended up getting, but after trying the 5 "finalist" I was very comfortable with my purchase.

Good Luck

Maybe if I had not skimmed over previous post - I would have seen the XDM.40 purchase - congrats!
    Leaving this up since the advise I got was great and will hopefully help someone else on their first purchase.

Last edited:

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Congrads on your new gun.:)
    What I have found is a good range gun. A gun to target shoot at range. May not be the ideal CCW gun.
    My CCW pistol is a Glock 26 due to it's size and concealability. Dead accurate but not the best tsrget shooting gun.
    Sure it'sa fun range gun and I practice with it regularlly. But for a true range gun. I like my XD due to it's full size and better accuracy.
    Two different applications. Two differet sized guns:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom