• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .408 CheyTac or .416 Barrett

• Total voters

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    it looks like savage may release a .408 cheytac. So if savage or some other company makes these calibers affordable to us middle-class folk. Which one would you buy?

It looks like the cheytac has a lot of research that went into making it fly stable even once it goes subsonic.

The barrett has a little bit more ass behind it, i dont know if it flies as straight and predictable though.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I only have a hundred or so at my house. The only reason for the 50 at all is so when the pantysniffers come around I can touch one off on the back deck and rock their intestines in the driveway with the shockwave. Cleaning the shotguns is kind of lame by comparison. I am working on something even more impressive. 1000+gr 12ga slugs with some dragonsbreath in the charge with a 12ga clamshell brake.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I only have a hundred or so at my house. The only reason for the 50 at all is so when the pantysniffers come around I can touch one off on the back deck and rock their intestines in the driveway with the shockwave. Cleaning the shotguns is kind of lame by comparison. I am working on something even more impressive. 1000+gr 12ga slugs with some dragonsbreath in the charge with a 12ga clamshell brake.

Please post video of that, or come demo it with us!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Might have to do that. I have hours of video from my backyard range everything from Epps 1919 and Gatling to official MDS happy face shoots not to mention my son and his friends magdumping and skeet shooting off the back deck.

Bring your toys to our range. We can do some "landscaping"...

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    I enjoyed shooting my friends' barrett .338 lapua. Punching holes in iron and disintegrating large rocks. I mean when you squeeze the trigger on one of those monsters and see the damage done there is no way you can not smile. I think one of these rifles would be even better! And savage makes things very affordable. I'm not sure if the .416 patent ran out yet so it still may be a few years before we see them in anything besides the M82 platform.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ....Which one would you buy?
    Neither
    It looks like the cheytac has a lot of research....
    Not to mention the litigation...
    ...that went into making it fly stable even once it goes subsonic.
    Just like a Sierra 175 MatchKing.
    The barrett has a little bit more ass behind it, i dont know if it flies as straight and predictable though.
    More is not always better.
    How long is the Turtle Range?
    It always comes down to this^^^^. Most folks cannot find a spot to shoot far enough to tell the difference between a .300 WinMag and a .338LM. Even IF the CheyTac lived up to it's hype, who would know?
    Neither. While the marketing hype is cool, I have no personal use for either caliber.
    FTFY
    Somebody has watched the movie "Shooter" one to many times if they want a Cheytac.
    I don't know if I'd go that far, but that fiction movie does make it seem pretty special. Of course, it also makes Marky-Mark seem pretty special too.

I don't mean to seem especially cynical here, but the FACT is that a .300 WinMag shooting Berger 210s or Hornady 208s at 2,925 or so has better drop and deflection figures than a .338 Lapua 300 grain bullet out beyond 1,500 yards, MUCH further than most folks will ever shoot. To exceed the .338 Lapua's THEORETICAL long range performance limitations would require even longer ranges than that. The legendary .408 CheyTac has consistently failed to show the precision and velocity consistency needed to exceed even the .300 WinMag.

We chronographed the .408 and the .338 LM at 400 yards and measured the loss between two Ohler 35P chronoghraphs, one at the muzzle and a second at 400 to catch the same bullet. Velocity loss (true indicator of BC) was identical, even though the advertised BC of the CheyTac was substantially better. Velocity spreads were the worse news, with 5 shot extreme spreads of 30 fps or more, usually more with the CheyTac.

Anyone entertaining the notion of buying one of these things should have access to software that will tell them that a 30 fps spread makes their effective range about, oh, 1,000 yards. Yup, that's definitely worth $5-6-7 per shot...to somebody. 30 fps is worth about 9" at 1,000 yards, and worth about 50" at 2,000.

This same extreme spread spread was documented here when we fired about 250 rounds of FGMM .338LM 300 grain factory match ammo through four different guns, suppressed and unsuppressed. There was simply no escaping it, every five shot group went 30 or better.

So, please, tell me again how far we're shooting a round that delivers more than four feet of vertical spread at 2,000 yards, even if the shooter does everything right. Sure, careful handloading can get our extreme spreads down, way down, almost to the level of the .300 WinMag, but there is still the ballistic lag. We could even talk about the difficulty in doping conditions that far out, but let's assume there are none, so we enjoy a level playing field. If we add in the 1+/- MOA I see these guns shoot when they're not on the internet, we see a point at which we really cannot hit anything smaller than a Jeep, and it's not as far as you think.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    NeitherNot to mention the litigation...Just like a Sierra 175 MatchKing.More is not always better.It always comes down to this^^^^. Most folks cannot find a spot to shoot far enough to tell the difference between a .300 WinMag and a .338LM. Even IF the CheyTac lived up to it's hype, who would know?FTFYI don't know if I'd go that far, but that fiction movie does make it seem pretty special. Of course, it also makes Marky-Mark seem pretty special too.

I don't mean to seem especially cynical here, but the FACT is that a .300 WinMag shooting Berger 210s or Hornady 208s at 2,925 or so has better drop and deflection figures than a .338 Lapua 300 grain bullet out beyond 1,500 yards, MUCH further than most folks will ever shoot. To exceed the .338 Lapua's THEORETICAL long range performance limitations would require even longer ranges than that. The legendary .408 CheyTac has consistently failed to show the precision and velocity consistency needed to exceed even the .300 WinMag.

We chronographed the .408 and the .338 LM at 400 yards and measured the loss between two Ohler 35P chronoghraphs, one at the muzzle and a second at 400 to catch the same bullet. Velocity loss (true indicator of BC) was identical, even though the advertised BC of the CheyTac was substantially better. Velocity spreads were the worse news, with 5 shot extreme spreads of 30 fps or more, usually more with the CheyTac.

Anyone entertaining the notion of buying one of these things should have access to software that will tell them that a 30 fps spread makes their effective range about, oh, 1,000 yards. Yup, that's definitely worth $5-6-7 per shot...to somebody. 30 fps is worth about 9" at 1,000 yards, and worth about 50" at 2,000.

This same extreme spread spread was documented here when we fired about 250 rounds of FGMM .338LM 300 grain factory match ammo through four different guns, suppressed and unsuppressed. There was simply no escaping it, every five shot group went 30 or better.

So, please, tell me again how far we're shooting a round that delivers more than four feet of vertical spread at 2,000 yards, even if the shooter does everything right. Sure, careful handloading can get our extreme spreads down, way down, almost to the level of the .300 WinMag, but there is still the ballistic lag. We could even talk about the difficulty in doping conditions that far out, but let's assume there are none, so we enjoy a level playing field. If we add in the 1+/- MOA I see these guns shoot when they're not on the internet, we see a point at which we really cannot hit anything smaller than a Jeep, and it's not as far as you think.

hey Mr. Thank you for squashing any testicle inflation provided by a rare caliber weapon and rare gun that's in a movie. I'll go cry myself to sleep tonight thank you.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Velocity spreads were the worse news, with 5 shot extreme spreads of 30 fps or more, usually more with the CheyTac.

curious, what do you think is causing higher velocity spreads in this vs other calibers. pls dumb it down for the slower folks in the class (ie, me).

yep the unfortunate thing about the big calibers is, at least around here, it's hard to find places (and especially competitions) where their range can be utilized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom