• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    That's not even remotely close to the ballpark of anything other than complete and absolute hogwash. Don't even think of doing that if you value your own safety.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    The guy who told you that might not be as dumb as he seems. Telling you that you can fire a .44 Magnum in a .410 smooth bore might be his way of getting you to say, "Hold my beer and watch this."

Before he told you that, did he first get you to say he could have your '87 El Camino if anything bad ever happened to you? :D

Belated "Welcome to the forum", by the way. I like your screen name.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You could probably find a .410 that would chamber a .44 mag. The pressure would be aprox 3 times that of 410 shotshells. Since .410/.45LC guns are common , it would be not trick to make a slightly oversize bore suitable to handle a ..429 bullet, it would just have to be made to handle a .44 Mag proof load.

I can think of ONE .410 in my possesion that probably COULD handle this , but I won't even mention it on an open post.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Bigfoot,
    You mean undersized bore don't you.
    .45 colt bullets are .452 and we know they chamber but .44mag are only .429-.432 so they would be a good bit smaller. I'm not sure if cases would be rupturing or not because of the size difference alone but since .45colt runs at 14000 psi (SAAMI) and .44mag runs at 36000psi I think there is a real good chance something very bad would happen.

I think the OP should not listen to "someone once" because they are an idiot.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I have a New England Fire Arms .410/45 colt with a rifled barrel. Guess what? When shooting a 45 colt it is about a foot low and a foot to the left at 25 yards. Bottom line it was a waste of good gun steel and a waste of 45 colt ammo to shoot this thing.

44 mag in a run of the mill .410
    I want to see the emergency room X-rays after some one pulls the trigger on this disaster.

I'm glad you asked before you let some one try this.
    Please Please do not try this.
    This could end up blowing apart inches away from some one's face

One Of the things I teach new shooters is to match the ammo to the barrel.
    Barrels are marked and ammo is head stamped.
    If the two do not match then they are not going to work and cause problems
    If one is not marked do not use it until a qualified person looks at it.
    If it is not marked for 44 mag do not drop a 44 mag in to the camber
    Bad Bad thing will happen

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    True .410 bore size is .410 . In many/ most shotguns of recent decades the bores are somewhat to substantially oversized on purpose. Modern plactic wads handle it fine, and the larger bores are widely believed to give better patterns and/or less felt recoil. The .45/.45Colt bbls are oversized on purpose to safely handle .454 solid bullets. A true minium spec .410 shotgun bbl?

powder in the air

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
    Jun 18, 2011
    smithsburg
    i didnt think it would work but it did make me wander but i am not special or rich enough to actually attempt such an absurd gesture and as it stands on the El Camino its an 83 ss

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I love it! I'm a Ford fan, but Chevy SS anything is bad-ass.

260hp?

Attachments

• 2009-Chevrolet-Cobalt-SS-09.jpg
      2009-Chevrolet-Cobalt-SS-09.jpg
      23.9 KB · Views: 587

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    someone once told me you could send a .44mag round down a .410 barrel with know problems and being accurate. any truth or complete hogwash

I know that a 44 magnum will not work out for you.

But when I was a kid my brother and I shot 44-40s out of a single shot 410 shotgun. Screwed up the case and can not say much for accuracy as it only had a bead sight but it fired. My Grandfather said "some people" ( I took as poor people) used to do this on farms to get rid of pests.

He did tell us not to let him catch us doing it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom