• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    So I took my Henry to the range today with my Cronograph. I worked up a silhouette load when I live in Ca. In the 80's for my Dan Wesson. I used a 200 gr JHP behind 28gr of 296. They clocked at 1600 fps. I chose the 200 gr bullet because to retains more energy out to 200 yards to knock down the Ram than 240gr. Well I clocked it out of the Henry at 1940 fps. No pressure signs cratered or flattened primers. I guess it's safe but the recoil was substantial. I took it out a few weeks ago without my shooting coat and it bruised me after two rounds. At 50 yards it was one inch left of the bull. My eyes aren't so great for irons.

Now my AR.
    During the powder shortage I was stuck purchasing Lovex Blackout powder DO63-02. On the Lovex site they said it can be used with .55 gr bullets between 18.5 to 19.6 I chose 19gr. To say they were anemic is an understatement. They clocked at 2440 fps to 2600 fps. I would not call this a good powder for .223. Fortunately the rifle cycled with no problem for 40 rounds. At 20 the bolt would not stay back after the last rounds but the last magazine did probably due to the 200 fps spread.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If your 200gr load worked on Rams for you back in the day, good on you ! But the prevailing wisdom is that steel critters are knocked over by Momentum, not energy per se . 240gr was considered a minimum, and heavier cast bullets were prefered .

Having shot a wide variety of .44Mag carbines, I have yo say the Henry Big Boy had the Least felt recoil by a good margin . Partly due to simply the weight, but their stock design also fit me better than all the others .

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    If your 200gr load worked on Rams for you back in the day, good on you ! But the prevailing wisdom is that steel critters are knocked over by Momentum, not energy per se . 240gr was considered a minimum, and heavier cast bullets were prefered .

Having shot a wide variety of .44Mag carbines, I have yo say the Henry Big Boy had the Least felt recoil by a good margin . Partly due to simply the weight, but their stock design also fit me better than all the others .

I shot with a friend in ca. We worked those loads based on drop and foot pounds. It was successful. We were considering switching to 220 gr Flat point but I went to San Francisco. We shot at the famed Santa Anita range that was finally closed after the libs bought houses next to it and sued them.
    I have to say my stints in hospitals over the years reduced my build and strength. So the recoil rails me without my USMC shooting coat.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The 200gr will be flatter, just have less momentum . Back in the day, I mainly used 240gr for steel critters, and they fell down if I did my part

.44Mag carbines may be " pistol calibre " , but they aren't particularly low recoil will full power loads .

Depending on your requirements for your Big Boy , another approach is to di s l back your loads , so as to give vels comparable to full power loads from a revolver . Say 15-1600fps with your prefered 200gr , still plenty of power , but 20-25% less recoil.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    I really want one of these, it's on my next rifle purchase list. I have found good prices for them on Bud's Gun Shop.com. Looks like a lot of fun to shoot. I've been thinking about buying my son the .22 cal for Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom