• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Was thinking one of these days come retirement moving out west when people are scarce and liberalism is more scarce. That point in time I was thinking getting something like a ruger blackhawk for carry and maybe a henry or marlin as a truck gun. Nice to carry just one ammo. I just can't decide to get them in .44 or 357. I have no issues firing a 45 and like it alot but didnt like the ammo options on 45 colt unless i were to reload.

So what set would you get.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I've own them both........while I liked the 357, I LOVE the 44 Mag. No contest which I'll always use.....oh yeah, the SS Puma lever is a great sidekick for my SS Redhawk. :thumbsup:

Keep in mind the 44 Mag is enough for anything you'll ever see in close quarters, comparatively speaking the 357 is a marginal cartridge for many species.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I love my 45 LC but the most versatile round out of the three would be the .44, especially for the big country and if you reload.

You can load the same bullet for 44 SPL, 44 Mag and 444 Marlin. That line up can handle anything from SD/HD, light/medium hunting and North American big game. A Buffalo Bore meplat bullet in 444 Marlin could probably stop an elephant.

A nice truck gun is Ruger 44 Carbine if you want some change from a lever action.

Elmer Keith couldn't have been wrong.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you are going wild wild west...look in to getting the s&w 460. To accompany it you could get that puma levergun in 454. It would allow you to have a revolver that could shoot .45 lc, 454, or 460...and an accompanying levergun that could shoot either the .45lc or the 454. I'd trust those cartridges much more for some of the bigger and angrier critters out west, and you'd still be able to shoot 45lc from either to pop holes for cheap.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    44 mag has similar velocities to 357mag, but in a larger diameter bullet weighing twice as much, and costing about 50% more, there is a good bit of difference between the calibers. I have a Vaquero single action revolver and Puma lever carbine in 357 mag, and am very happy with the pair. I do own 44s, but 357 has plenty of power for targets, smaller critters, even the 2 legged kind, firing cheap and light recoiling 38s is also nice. The 44 is fun to break out every now and then, and it is still manageable, but unless you are hunting, the bigger boom for a lot more money is really the only benefit.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Based on your question, 44 Magnum all the way. Great in long gun (handy carbine) and revolver.

....and you never posted your dissertation on all the garbage, redundant and obsolete cartridges we have. :D I brought it up long ago and you readily agreed that we have wayyyyyy to many as well. Not that either of the cartridges we're talking about qualify. ;)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ....and you never posted your dissertation on all the garbage, redundant and obsolete cartridges we have. :D I brought it up long ago and you readily agreed that we have wayyyyyy to many as well. Not that either of the cartridges we're talking about qualify. ;)

so i should stop development of the 45-06 wssssm chode?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    so i should stop development of the 45-06 wssssm chode?

should look something like this, similar base dimentions to 30-06, super super, super, super short, and necked up to 45:D

800px-45_ACP_-_FMJ_-_SB_-_1.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not wanting to reload puts a different spin on things. 44s beg to be handloaded both for $ , and to tap into the inherent versatility.

Sticking to factory loads , 44 was have the edge as a serious rifle cal, and .357 would have more versatility and cheaper plinking in the pistol. Would have to either pick a priority , or take up handloading.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    If you reload they are about the same cost to reload but brass is more plentiful in the 38spl / 357 mag caliber as range pick up.

I would go with the .357 for an easy carry gun
    Enjoy your retirement

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

You're right. I did mention that a while back. Currently don't have the time due to watching my folks 50+ hours per week but I'll get it up on the boards at some point in time.

Back in the early '70s, I spent some time in the MN mountains and carried one of the original Ruger .44 carbines. I found it to be very effective against black bear and mule deer at close to moderate range, and just a dandy little gun all around. No experience with the new ones, but I hear good things.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You are talking about the price of .45 Colt ammo and then mention .44 Mag in the same breath? .44 Mag isn't cheap. .38 Special is. .357 Magnum isn't too far behind. Buffalo Bore makes some heavy duty .357 Magnum ammo, but get a Ruger if you plan to shoot it. A 4" GP-100 and a Win 92/94 carbine makes for easy carrying and doesn't punish you with recoil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom