• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Anybody have a pet load for .45 Colt using 250gr RNFP Lasercast bullets?

This is for a Taylor's Smokewagon so no T/C or Ruger loads please. I have a number of powders so I want to see what you guys are liking without prejudicing powder selection.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I like 8.2 grains of Unique under a 255 grain Keith style lead SWC.

Nice shooting load out of my SW Model 25. Accuracy is excellent, and for me, a load with an eye toward not unduly pounding the revolver.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Bolts,

For Cowboy Action Shooting, I've always used 6.0 grains of Winchester 231 in my Uberti Colt replicas. I've run a few thousand rounds through mine and never felt the need to vary the recipe.

JoeR

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    I've run a ton thru mine, but under a 200gr LRNFP. I use Trailboss, since it's not as hard to find as others, and it lets me save my Universal for everything else.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    My goto .45 Colt load is 10 grains of Unique, 250 grn rnfp, Remington case, and Winchester lpp, but it is probably too hot for your gun. It groups very well in my 94 trapper and Blackhawk.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Fun load, Ruger territiry as you mentioned. That is probably a 1000 fps load with 10.0 grains Unique. In a 44 Magnum case 10.5 grains gets one about 1050 fps with a 240 grain cast lead bullet.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I like 8.2 grains of Unique under a 255 grain Keith style lead SWC.

Nice shooting load out of my SW Model 25. Accuracy is excellent, and for me, a load with an eye toward not unduly pounding the revolver.

Damn....Almost what I shoot 8.3grs, shoot it from a ole Blackhawk though.gotta love them Keith style bullets...;)
    friend has a Mdl 25 shoots 8 grs., just sum thin to calm the nerves, compared to full house .44mag loads with a
    hefty charge of 2400

-Rock

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Damn....Almost what I shoot 8.3grs, shoot it from a ole Blackhawk though.gotta love them Keith style bullets...;)
    friend has a Mdl 25 shoots 8 grs., just sum thin to calm the nerves, compared to full house .44mag loads with a
    hefty charge of 2400

-Rock

There's a grin! Yep...not to hot, not too cold, just about right. Love that cartridge and the 25 both. That big old slug outta yesteryear plodding along will shoot through most anything that might need shooting through. And yep, I'm right there with you on the Blackhawk. Want more thump....put the 25 away and use more gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Likewise I like 10.0gr Unique & 255 swc , albeit from Ruger Bisley.

Bolts was open ended in his request, and didn't specify a vel goal. But if (one of ) goals is power , it is possable to get to neighborhood of 1,000fps in a well made, modern steel, SAA clone. For good pressure/ vel ratio at these levels Power Pistol and 4227 .

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    The Smokewagon is a nice gun congrats. I have only shot Fiocchi Cowboy Action Ammunition out of mine so far. In my Vaqueros I usually load a 250g casts with 11.5g of HS6 or 7.0g of HP38. This gives me just shy of 750fps. That's plenty for plinking. I do load my Blackhawk pretty wild sometimes but those loads would turn a Smokewagon into a hand grenade so no need to list them. I have some Unique too so have probably loaded with it but can't remember the recipe. I'm sure it was straight out of a load manual though

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom