• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    http://www.45raptor.com/45RAPTOR/
    Brassweb.jpg
    In MAC's new video about the drd tactical takedown AR's, the guy representing DRD mentioned the 45 raptor as "the next bit thing". Essentially, it's a 460 s&w mag cartridge with a .308 base so it'll work in an autoloader. It's designed for .308 AR variants due to the forces involved in firing the thing. To make it feed reliably, a special magazine was created with an insert taking up the blank space up front, topped with a feed-ramp in the mag itself. A switch from .308 to .45 raptor takes a barrel swap and a new magazine....and you're gtg. Reloading is done with .460 dies and a .308 shell holder using .460 loads.

Out of a 16" barrel, the cartridge is supposed to push a 300 gr gold dot up to 2,300 fps or a 160 gr barnes tac xp up to 3,000 fps. So, you're getting something pretty flat shooting that is up over 3,300 ftlbs of energy with a 20 rnd mag capacity.

Sooo, knowing all that... what would you use this for that something else wouldn't make more sense? You guys think this will catch on?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Solution for a non-problem. With a few exceptions aren't the gun magazines lined with AR calibers that never made it.

It even took .300AAC and 6.5 Grendel a while to catch on. I would even argue that Grendel is still hanging on by a thread (though cheap wolf ammo should help)

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'll hold off awhile, and let some other folks mess with it. You'll know it took off when you see the ammo at WalMart. (Like 300 Blackout did.) Unless you love handloading, then go for it.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I like the idea of the 25/45 Sharps better.

Well anecdotal evidence is nice and all, but right now I will consider it the .40 caliber of the AR world. Unless evidence comes out showing how vastly superior to the 223/556 that round is.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Think their numbers are a bit optimistic being 460S&W from a carbine won't top 3,000FPE at 65K psi, and they claim a 62K max. Plain old 308 is more versatile, obviously parts and ammo are easier to come by, but essentially 45-70 ballistics aren't bad. Probably thick hide and heavy bodied large game where the penetration from a slow, heavy, hardcast is useful.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    .25/45 looks good, but I already own a 6.8spc...... They might just be a few years too late to the party.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Several midwest states only allow rifles if they use straight wall cartridges. Basically pistol caliber carbines. With this cartridge, you can use your spiffy AR-10 style rifle for deer in Iowa. Something to consider.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    3000 fpe out of 2200-2300 fps big bore...444 Marlin has been around for awhile with a 275 grain bullet. The 160 grain low section density and ballistic coeffient loses easily to the 308 Winchester.
    But if all this in an AR platform bores your ports...go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom