• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To really stir the pot, if deer is your primary game, go w/ a 50cal riffled barrel muzzle loader that many used instead of shotguns during firearms season due to their superior accuracy, (depending) and the 1 week+ longer hunting season! You should only need 1 shot for deer. YMMV
    I did this for years. It made me a better shot, especially on deer. One shot, one kill(hopefully).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Seems like kind of a waste to buy all 3 of those uppers if they won't be range toys as stated in your first post.

This is MDS , we're not going to tell anyone to not buy guns . :)

He asked about which three AR uppers to get . If he asked about which one long gun to get to hunt his list of game , in Maryland , the answer would have been 12ga . If he asked which three long guns , not restricted to Central Maryland , the answer would have been 12ga , if you otherwise have an AR , because AR , an upper in .350 or .300 , plus a bolt action in a versatile caliber , that we would debate for 5 pages which caliber .

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Carroll County is still a rifle county (for now), but has been increasingly difficult to find land to hunt on over the past two decades.

Yea it seems hard to do any hunting in Md unless you go down south, our west or to the shore. I live in PG so I know it’s definitely going to be a challenge for me here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Seems like kind of a waste to buy all 3 of those uppers if they won't be range toys as stated in your first post.

I don’t really think so. I don’t plan to stick to hunting just in Maryland, and I didn’t really plan to get them all now anyways lol. I figured between those 3 I’d have the option to interchange between uppers depending on the state I go to for hunting and what the hunt would be. It’s more depending on finding friends who hunt often and would travel outside of just Maryland/va/pa.

I have an AR in .450BM. The recoil is pretty stout, but for shots inside of 100yds, it would likely hit a deer like a 12ga slug.
    I don't hunt, but for short range shots the .450BM would work for Moose and Grizzly size game.
    I agree with the others who pointed out that .350 Legend ammo is cheap and plentiful.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Yea it seems hard to do any hunting in Md unless you go down south, our west or to the shore. I live in PG so I know it’s definitely going to be a challenge for me here.

This is only my second year hunting in Maryland.

Last year I killed 3 Sika at Blackwater (public land hunt).

This year I’ve killed 4 deer on public land hunts all in Anne Arundel county. Deer management hunts, lottery hunt with department of interior, and research refuge access.

There is even more I didn’t apply for, to include Smithsonian, and some others. There is opportunities, just have to spend some time , apply, scout, etc

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    From what I gather it seems like most would rather a bolt over semi for hunting? I won’t lie I wanted to do 6.5CM at first but in semi for hunting, however to my understanding it’s not a straight wall correct? That’s the main reason I decided to look elsewhere (hence the op). Since I doubt I’ll be shooting past 200yrds I’ll prob just get a 450BM upper for my first season or 2. However I’m still doing research so nothing is certain.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    This is only my second year hunting in Maryland.

Last year I killed 3 Sika at Blackwater (public land hunt).

This year I’ve killed 4 deer on public land hunts all in Anne Arundel county. Deer management hunts, lottery hunt with department of interior, and research refuge access.

There is even more I didn’t apply for, to include Smithsonian, and some others. There is opportunities, just have to spend some time , apply, scout, etc

I’m sure. Once I get my self situated I’ll look into it. Shot I wouldn’t mind joining (if there is any) a group that hunts from this group.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    ARs in 350 legend suck. Half of them won't feed right anyway, so you might as well just buy a bolt action. I bet the older style Ruger American is going to be cheap right now as they announced version 2.0. Buy that and a Remington 870 and you can do everything on your list.
    I have a different experience. I was afraid the 350 legend upper for AR-15 will be unreliable. But it didn't happen. I built my new upper based on generic receiver and barrel from midwayusa (AR-STONER Barrel AR-15 350 Legend M4 Contour 1 in 16" Twist 16" Chrome Moly Phosphate).
    And I used AR-STONER Magazine AR-15 350 Legend 5-Round. The build was accomplished in 2022.
    I never had any problems with feeds or any other mishaps. And accuracy was decent with Winchester hunting ammo from Walmart. Harversted several deers last season with this AR-15 and one this season. No regrets, I like it.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    From what I gather it seems like most would rather a bolt over semi for hunting? I won’t lie I wanted to do 6.5CM at first but in semi for hunting, however to my understanding it’s not a straight wall correct? That’s the main reason I decided to look elsewhere (hence the op). Since I doubt I’ll be shooting past 200yrds I’ll prob just get a 450BM upper for my first season or 2. However I’m still doing research so nothing is certain.
    Well from all your post, it definitely seems like you want something in a AR platform, and that’s fine. If that’s the case, and you want to go with a straight walled cartridge, then either the 350 or the 450 would be good choices. I’d forget about the .50 Beo.

Please know that these cartridges are not for long range shooting. 150 yard and in, ideally 100 yards and closer. Most deer on the east coast are taken closer than 100 yards anyways, so your probably fine.

As others have said, if you’re hunting in areas where the shots will be close, then a shotgun slug is hard to beat. With a slug barrel, and a field barrel you covered, to hunt anything in the area. Throw in a 18”-20” barrel and you got a good home protection gun too!

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Well from all your post, it definitely seems like you want something in a AR platform, and that’s fine. If that’s the case, and you want to go with a straight walled cartridge, then either the 350 or the 450 would be good choices. I’d forget about the .50 Beo.

Please know that these cartridges are not for long range shooting. 150 yard and in, ideally 100 yards and closer. Most deer on the east coast are taken closer than 100 yards anyways, so your probably fine.

As others have said, if you’re hunting in areas where the shots will be close, then a shotgun slug is hard to beat. With a slug barrel, and a field barrel you covered, to hunt anything in the area. Throw in a 18”-20” barrel and you got a good home protection gun too!
    I have dropped many deer each season,, I still use a 20ga single shot gun.
    It drops them out to 100+ yards. I was feeling no reason to use my 44 mag this year.
    I think the OP would do better picking up a 20 or 12 ga combo and spending time researching and scouting different public properties.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park

Yes and maybe when it comes to the AR platform. I wouldn’t mind a bolt action at some point maybe for the 6.5CM when I eventually get to hunting outside of the local states. I’ve done lots of outdoor activities and I know this area is very dense so wide open shooting is prob not a normal thing ( so 450 would be a good option). I was going to do a 16-18” upper since I have a lower just sitting here.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    It drops them out to 100+ yards. I was feeling no reason to use my 44 mag this year.
    I think the OP would do better picking up a 20 or 12 ga combo and spending time researching and scouting different public properties.

I will look into that as well. Not saying it will change my mind from still getting the upper but I don’t see the harm in having an additional hunting tool.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Yes, I agree a shotgun can reach out pass 100 yards. When Frederick county was “shotgun only” I shot the widest racked buck I’ve ever taken, with a 12ga slug. I used a range finder before I took the shot, he was 127 yards away. I hit him, and he ran and piled up about 30 yards away.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Yes and maybe when it comes to the AR platform. I wouldn’t mind a bolt action at some point maybe for the 6.5CM when I eventually get to hunting outside of the local states. I’ve done lots of outdoor activities and I know this area is very dense so wide open shooting is prob not a normal thing ( so 450 would be a good option). I was going to do a 16-18” upper since I have a lower just sitting here.

I’d go with a 18” barrel. You’ll get a little more velocity, and the 2” isn’t much of a handicap in maneuverability.
    A bolt action in 6.5CM is also a excellent choice. That’s what I use on one of the farms I hunt. This farm is all open fields, and the shots are longish. I have too much scope on that gun, for close in hunting. Different conditions call for different equipment. The good thing is, you get to buy more guns!

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    I’d go with a 18” barrel. You’ll get a little more velocity, and the 2” isn’t much of a handicap in maneuverability.
    A bolt action in 6.5CM is also a excellent choice. That’s what I use on one of the farms I hunt. This farm is all open fields, and the shots are longish. I have too much scope on that gun, for close in hunting. Different conditions call for different equipment. The good thing is, you get to buy more guns!

I definitely agree with that. I do plan to get different calibers based on the application so I have no complaints there.

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    Right my apologies. Deer, Furbearer (mostly Coyote, rabbit) turkey, and duck. Maybe some others, I also have some buddies out of state that hunt as well so I’d end up traveling with said caliber.

As primarily a predator hunter, and being pretty decent at it, I strongly suggest the flattest shooting caliber you can...less important in the woods, but as we use thermals, we are in wide open fields 98% of the time or more. None of these options are what I'd recommend for predators. Obviously in the right conditions they'd do the job. Are you limited to an AR-15 platform for calibers?

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    As primarily a predator hunter, and being pretty decent at it, I strongly suggest the flattest shooting caliber you can...less important in the woods, but as we use thermals, we are in wide open fields 98% of the time or more. None of these options are what I'd recommend for predators. Obviously in the right conditions they'd do the job. Are you limited to an AR-15 platform for calibers?

I would like to start off with an ar platform. I have a lower just sitting here, so I figured first one might as well just buy a completed upper.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

That's a target rich environment, just be patient.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    So it looks like the major winner is either 350L or 450BM. I guess I’ll dive more into those 2 calibers. Only thing now is figuring 16 or 18” for my barrel length and how they perform with them.

Both of these calibers use fast burning powders and aren't greatly affected by barrel length.

Below video shows a guy taking a 25" 350L AR, shooting a 5 shot group with a magnetospeed chrono, then cutting an inch at a time off the barrel and repeating the velocity testing all the way down to 7".

Another thing to look at when picking a barrel is twist rate. The most common twist rate for 350L is 1:16. For 450BM the most common twist rate is 1:24.

These work fine for standard bullets but are marginal for subsonic or monolithic (copper) bullets, and some monolithic subsonic bullets will be unstable with these twist rates.

So if you think you might want to use extra heavy or solid copper bullets in the future, you might want to consider a faster twist rate barrel, e.g. 1:14 or 1:10 for 350L, or 1:16 for 450BM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom