.458 SOCOM uppers? Any experience or opinion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't own one, but I can give you a nod for the Alexander Arms 50 Beowulf. I enjoy mine. Very reliable too.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Given that the standard capacity AR mag only holds 10 rounds of 458 SOCOM, does that mean we can buy and sell standard capacity AR mags in MD and claim they are 458 SOCOM mags?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Given that the standard capacity AR mag only holds 10 rounds of 458 SOCOM, does that mean we can buy and sell standard capacity AR mags in MD and claim they are 458 SOCOM mags?

Guiness-Brilliant.jpg

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Not that anyone needs a reason, just wondering what the practical application is? Shot one courtesy of a fellow shooter at MGN in Frederick a few months ago. Definitely a bad ass round. Would not want to be on the receiving end of this one. Also left a bruise on the owner's shoulder after a magazine or two. I've asked around but no one has been able to answer what the practical application, other than shooting through a cinder block wall, would be for this round. This is not meant to be critical post but a real inquiry because i'm curious about this (P.S. 5 more posts to the promise land for me!!!!).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The purpose?

Because you can.

**I had no real use for my .50Beo when I bought it, it was an impulse buy sweetened by a discounted price on my birthday. Quickly found out it was quite accurate for it's bore size, and would be one hell of a hog-slayer (or just about whatever else you fired it at for that matter).

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Not that anyone needs a reason, just wondering what the practical application is? Shot one courtesy of a fellow shooter at MGN in Frederick a few months ago. Definitely a bad ass round. Would not want to be on the receiving end of this one. Also left a bruise on the owner's shoulder after a magazine or two. I've asked around but no one has been able to answer what the practical application, other than shooting through a cinder block wall, would be for this round. This is not meant to be critical post but a real inquiry because i'm curious about this (P.S. 5 more posts to the promise land for me!!!!).

Super large round with 1900+ fps velocity and able to be chambered in an AR and suppressed. good for larger game and used in AR mags easily.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    A limiter is the .458 bullet selection, while bullet selection isn't much better for the .50Beo - it is slightly better.

And I never once used a modified magazine, I did have one that came with the upper, but I could see no visual evidence of it being modified - just had a stamped floorplate with A.A.'s logo and the .50Beo marking.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

You can as well as for the 50 Beowulf too. They don't have to be marked with a caliber either.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I like my AR in 50AE for the availability of commercial ammo. The hand-reamed Pac-Nor Super-Match barrel makes it especially nice too ;)

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I just finished a 458 Socom build a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try it yet though. I watched a lot of youtube videos with different ammo and decided that I needed to add one to my collection.

Arimus Tactical lower
    Anderson Enhanced LPK
    Hogue overmolded stock and pistol grip (pistol grip added after pic)
    Magpul sites (rear added after pic)
    Radical Firearms upper (from JoeBob Outfitters... great price)

Attachments

• 458 Socom.jpg
      458 Socom.jpg
      123.9 KB · Views: 369

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads