• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Simple question... can i use large mag primers for 45acp / lc? I started reloading a few months ago and bought large and large mag primers too b/c i thought the mags would be ok. Am i right?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Personally I wouldn't do it. Mag primers are designed to set off powders used in mag loads. While I'm sure there will be plenty of replies that say it's fine, I'd stick with published recipies and the components they call for - especally as a beginning reloader.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Use them, Go back to your starting loads and work up again to be safe.
    A lot of Winchester Primers come marked Standard / Magnum.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Use them, Go back to your starting loads and work up again to be safe.
    A lot of Winchester Primers come marked Standard / Magnum.

And Winchester also makes primers dedicated to standard and magnum loads. Those are not necessarily interchangeable.

BTW, there's no mention of the firearm the OP is building rounds for - or the projectile or powder. Those are ALL variables of concern!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Primers are not really interchangeable, unless you have good load data to work off of for both types.. ;)

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Yes, I would stick with the primers used in the load data you are using for now. I wouldn't hesitate though to change brands, especially if your not using maximum charges of the prescribed powder.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    OK, some more info...

I am loading 45acp for a RIA 1911. Using bullseye minimum charge with 230gr RN lead.

I will soon be loading 45lc for a Ruger Vaquero. Using bullseye for the minimum charge also with lead.

Also, if it helps... the magnum primers are Federal primers.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Just to settle this, I called Coy at CCI a few weeks ago to get the low down. I had seen many theories and ideas online and wanted a definitive answer.

Coy said "Absolutely not."

Good enough for me.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    As a general rule, magnum primers are for magnum cartridges that use that primer, regular primers for the rest of the cartridges. I doubt that you will find too many loads that have data for both types of primers in the same cartridge. Brand is not really a big difference, style is. That said, some will use hotter than needed primers, but you have to be careful working the loads up and watch for pressure signs.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    As a general rule, magnum primers are for magnum cartridges that use that primer, regular primers for the rest of the cartridges. I doubt that you will find too many loads that have data for both types of primers in the same cartridge. Brand is not really a big difference, style is. That said, some will use hotter than needed primers, but you have to be careful working the loads up and watch for pressure signs.

The 41 mag comes to mind as one of the cartridges that uses both primers regularly

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The 41 mag comes to mind as one of the cartridges that uses both primers regularly
    There are a few crossovers, that is one.. I use magnums in the 44mag, but that has a lot more powder to burn up than the 45acp.

Never loaded for the 45lc, not sure what that calls for..

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Just to settle this, I called Coy at CCI a few weeks ago to get the low down. I had seen many theories and ideas online and wanted a definitive answer.

Coy said "Absolutely not."

Good enough for me.

LOL..... Guess I have been doing it all wrong for almost 40 years. Some of you guys need to step away from the internet.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The requirement for mag primers comes with the powder used, not the ctg per se. And even a few powders have data for both std and mag primers (2400 , 4227 ) . Bullseye in particular is very easy to ignite.
    *a lot of the time* people get away with substituting mag primers , but a warm load with 2400, 4227 , AA9 , Blue Dot , etc worked up w/ std , would put you in danger zone with mags.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would not use them, unless they were the only ones left. :)

But as with ANY change to a load, reduce the load to minimum and work back up again.

That said, for most of my pistol loads, I will substitute CCI/Winchester/Remington primers without concern. But none are anywhere near maximum.

Magnum primers are used with longer cases and using higher volumes of ball powder. Ball powder packes more tightly, so the flame from the primer does not move through the charge as well for even ignition. So the magnum primer helps.

I standardized my 5.56 load with a CCI magnum primer years ago and still use them there. I recently found that the CCI Military SR primer is pretty much the same as the SR Magnum primer.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Below is an intresting article about primers-Ive posted this before. Yes the data is for 45colt +P, but it makes a point.

Also if your are loading for a Ruger New Model Vaquero, do not use the heavy Ruger/+P loads found in manuals. They are a smaller frame, and are not rated to take heavy loads. Stick to the standard Colt SAA data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom