• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    I've got a 1911 Kimber compact .45 that I've been having feed/ejection problems with. I'm pretty confident the issues stem from weak wristing due to a spinal chord injury I have. I've read that this is a main cause of these issues with 1911's.

My question is does weak wristing apply to just 1911's or other .45's as well? I'm thinking about getting something else, possibly a Sig 227 and want to know if I'll have the same problem. If I really pay attention to my grip then I usually avoid problems but I feel that I have to worry to much about this which detracts from actually shooting.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I've got a 1911 Kimber compact .45 that I've been having feed/ejection problems with. I'm pretty confident the issues stem from weak wristing due to a spinal chord injury I have. I've read that this is a main cause of these issues with 1911's.

My question is does weak wristing apply to just 1911's or other .45's as well? I'm thinking about getting something else, possibly a Sig 227 and want to know if I'll have the same problem. If I really pay attention to my grip then I usually avoid problems but I feel that I have to worry to much about this which detracts from actually shooting.
    I know you can "weak wrist" a Glock, so my guess is yes, you can "weak wrist" other .45's. just my guess though. Sounds like a C6 injury. Sorry for your pain.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011

Not necessarily. Could be the gun. I've seen a lot of them retuned for that very issue.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Anyone can weak wrist any pistol. Not to diminish your injury and not really knowing how bad, but the mere fact you can hold, aim and pull a trigger, you see probably ok.
    Unfortunately, impossible to comment on what an issue could be. Especially with a 1911- wacky ammo and feed ramp issues are abundant.

sent from somewhere in the world.

Last edited:

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    I have a C4,5,6,7 injury with C6 burst being the worst area as Bafflingbs mentioned. I've got partial paralysis on the left side with my left hand being about usless for grip. I can get it cupped around my right hand to shoot but it slips pretty good with in a few shots. As far as rifles go it'll stay in place so not really an issue there.

I know 1911's can have many issues but I figured my grip was the main cause of mine. I did have to tweak the extractor a bit which helped with extractions some. Just wanted to see if switching to something else could help me out a little.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    If the gun is NIB, and this is your first time firing it - the gun may have to be "shot" loose.Kimbers tend to be on the tight side, especially out of the box.

Id also field strip, and make sure everything is lubed. Kimber recommends cleaning, and lubing the pistol before you fire it the first time. They also have a 400 round break in period.

That being said, have someone else shoot the pistol and see if that problem persists.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Have someone who knows how to shoot try it out.

2) As mentioned, it may take 100 - 200 rounds to get a new gun functioning well. So if 1 does not work properly, it may still be fine.

3) Otherwise, something is wrong. Have a qualified gunsmith check out the gun or send it back to the manufacturer for their testing and repair.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have a C4,5,6,7 injury with C6 burst being the worst area as Bafflingbs mentioned. I've got partial paralysis on the left side with my left hand being about usless for grip. I can get it cupped around my right hand to shoot but it slips pretty good with in a few shots. As far as rifles go it'll stay in place so not really an issue there.

I know 1911's can have many issues but I figured my grip was the main cause of mine. I did have to tweak the extractor a bit which helped with extractions some. Just wanted to see if switching to something else could help me out a little.
    I'm sorry for the problems you face. My wife had hers fused at UMBC, and the numbness and weakness is much, much better. Are you looking into that?

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

****Hopefully you have had a doctor or therapist of some sort do some kind of dyno grip test on you so you have some idea the difference between your good and not so good side. There are some exercises and therapies available to help your good hand as well as at least limit the losses on your not so good hand. The baseline dyno test would be to see how strong you are now to track progress over time as you do the exercises needed to strengthen your grip/and or improve stabilization and coordination. It goes beyond just writing stuff up in a post like this but just as an FYI there are things you can do that can help your ability to hold a firearm by strengthening the flexrors and extensors of both of your hands. A qualified hand therapist or physical therapist can show you what to do to help yourself.

Depending on the handgun, it has been my experience that if you can generate about 20-30kg of grip force with your dominant hand, and the rest of your arm can physically hold up the firearm, your other hand isn't really all that necessary to shoot, and limp wristing type stove piping, etc.. is *greatly* reduced or eliminated.

A double stack magazine type pistol usually helps someone with adequate hand size (due to fatter grip and leverage), that does not have so much strength in their hands as more tension can be produced by the finger flexors and associated hand/arm/wrist muscles. Also, lower powered ammo and the judicious use of something like slide glide to somewhat muffle recoil can help as well.

Anyway, just something else to consider.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So far I've used Rem UMC brass and American Eagle brass, happens with both.
    UMC is bad about quality control...I wont ever shoot it...I had some that rds felt like it was going to blow up my gun and others that the bullet barely made I out the barrel...:sad20: try some different ammo as well.

If the gun is NIB, and this is your first time firing it - the gun may have to be "shot" loose.Kimbers tend to be on the tight side, especially out of the box.
    Id also field strip, and make sure everything is lubed. Kimber recommends cleaning, and lubing the pistol before you fire it the first time. They also have a 400 round break in period.

That being said, have someone else shoot the pistol and see if that problem persists.

My Springfield GI had the same problems...I got more rounds through it and it started to shoot better.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Although it's stinky and filthy, Winchester white box 45ACP 230gr FMJ is consistent for me in 5" 1911s.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    (Generic) Answer #1 - any semiauto pistol can be limp wristed.

(Specific) Answer #2 - I'm suprised Chad didn't jump on this first . The big factor is it being a compact. Unlike a true 5in 1911 which is very forgiving , a shorty needs to be in perfect balance of all tuning , and has little margin of error (if any) for over/under on tension of any of the springs , or any variation of grip or stance can cause problematic functioning.

The 4.25in of the True Commander length is as far as a 1911-ish can be shortened , and still reasonably close to JMB's geometry. Colt didn't accidently pick that length 60+ yrs ago.

Other designs , using "SIG style" lockup can indeed be reliable with sub 4in bbls in .45acp , but the laws of physics and JMB can only be streatched but so far.

But you already have it , and presumably selected it on purpose. Break it in throughly, and lube well with wizbang extra-slippery lubricant of your choice. If still issues have an 1911 Expert 'smith tune it, and then religously change springs at his specified intervals. If that doesn't do the trick , then it may not be a good fit for your particular physical condition.

*Afterthought* Perhaps switching to a stance that makes use of upper body mass , moreso than hand/ arm strength to control the gun. This is more of somthing to be observed and demonstrated in person than in print. PM me if wish to meet at the range.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    ****Hopefully you have had a doctor or therapist of some sort do some kind of dyno grip test on you so you have some idea the difference between your good and not so good side. There are some exercises and therapies available to help your good hand as well as at least limit the losses on your not so good hand. The baseline dyno test would be to see how strong you are now to track progress over time as you do the exercises needed to strengthen your grip/and or improve stabilization and coordination. It goes beyond just writing stuff up in a post like this but just as an FYI there are things you can do that can help your ability to hold a firearm by strengthening the flexrors and extensors of both of your hands. A qualified hand therapist or physical therapist can show you what to do to help yourself.

Depending on the handgun, it has been my experience that if you can generate about 20-30kg of grip force with your dominant hand, and the rest of your arm can physically hold up the firearm, your other hand isn't really all that necessary to shoot, and limp wristing type stove piping, etc.. is *greatly* reduced or eliminated.

A double stack magazine type pistol usually helps someone with adequate hand size (due to fatter grip and leverage), that does not have so much strength in their hands as more tension can be produced by the finger flexors and associated hand/arm/wrist muscles. Also, lower powered ammo and the judicious use of something like slide glide to somewhat muffle recoil can help as well.

Anyway, just something else to consider.

When I was in therapy I did the hand dyno several times. I don't recall my last reading but my right/dominant side is decent. It's not what it used to be but decent. Even though the injury was bad, I'm not as bad off as I should be. I walk although it isn't pretty, drive, cut the grass, minor things around the house. Shooting rifles isn't a problem. When it comes to handguns though it's kind of like I'm shooting single handed. I get some stability out of my left side till my hand slips the I have to stop and reset.

As far as tge gun goes, it's still being broken in. I think I'm approaching 300rds. The feed/extracting issue has gotten a little better with more rds but I've also been paying more attention to my grip as well. When I don't watch my grip then I have issues. A buddy of mine ran a few mags through it with no problem. I like the gun but as one of my HD guns I don't have total confidence in it, especially if it's 3am and I'm half asleep. This weekend I'm picking up my Sig 226 Elite and hopefully it'll work a little better for me.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    *Afterthought* Perhaps switching to a stance that makes use of upper body mass , moreso than hand/ arm strength to control the gun. This is more of somthing to be observed and demonstrated in person than in print. PM me if wish to meet at the range.

Maybe best proven by him shooting it from a bench rest. Even better if somebody else tries his pistol off-hand and from a bench rest.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was speaking more to him being best able to control a powerful handgun within his physical parameters moreso that testing that pistol per se. But if it should do both , then happy coincidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom