• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I was never really trained on "how" to go target shooting. I went with my dad twice as a young adult, but since then I've pretty much been on my own, and more or less self taught.

For a while, I would just put up a target, blast away at it until it seemed like there were plenty of holes, then retrieve it and put up another target. Not much rhyme or reason to it. Earlier this year, I decided to try to be a little more methodical, and this is what I came up with.

The attached pic is of the target routine I've started to follow with my CX4. I use 2x 20 rd magazines in my CX4, firing 5 shots in pretty quick succession. I try to go as fast as I can while still trying to aim.

I first put 2 rounds in the center target, then 1 in the bottom right, then 1 in the bottom left, then 1 back in the center. After the 5 round "set", I lower the rifle, take a few breaths, then repeat 3 more times.

Then I switch mags as quickly as I can.

Then I do the same routine with the second mag but this time 2 in the center, 1 in the top left, 1 in the top right, and 1 in the center.

I end up with 24 in the center, and 4 in each corner.

My bottom right target looks to have only 3 holes, I don't know if I completely missed one, or if I doubled up 2 rounds in the same hole. It's possible I missed just off the paper. The center target is hard to count, as a lot of rounds are chained together, but I'm pretty sure all 24 are there. I think I would have noticed if I missed the center by so much it wasn't even on the paper. The 1 truly horrible shot high in the 6 ring was my second shot.

At 50 feet, each 5 round "set" usually takes me about 4-5 seconds, more like 6-7 seconds the first few times until I'm warmed up. I think I have plenty of room for improvement, but I'm happy with the progress I've made so far. It's much easier and a little faster at closer distances, of course.

What I like most about this routine is:
    1. It helps train me to be aware of how many shots I've taken (and therefore how many are left in the magazine)
    2. It's more fun than just shooting a full magazine at a single target
    3. Having to reacquire my sight picture every 5 rounds helps to train me on fast acquisition

Anyway, just thought I'd share something more than complaints about SB281 or the MSP backlog. I have no idea if this kind of routine is super amateurish, super common, or completely unremarkable, but I'd love to hear any feedback you might have.

Cheers!

Attachments

• target_practice.jpg
      target_practice.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 302

Batu

Apr 16, 2010
    Howard County
    Hey you are practicing that's what counts. I like to do some left handed shots once in a while also. looking good keep at it.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Love the cx4!
    I saw this today and thought it was a pretty good practice drill.
    This guy is superhuman though.

I saw this today too and while its perfectly useless, it sure looks like fun

By the way, Big Dog Outfitters over the 301 bridge in Virginia has the FS92 30 round mags for the cx4. They had several left last Wednesday when I was down there.

mdiom

Sep 7, 2012
    Abingdon
    In case you want to mix it up... take a look at the dot torture drill. If you cant draw and fire from a holster at your local range then just start at the low ready position. Like the saying goes, "Amateurs practice untill they get it right, professionals practice untill they cant get it wrong"

pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

Attachments

• dot-torture-target.pdf
      25.9 KB · Views: 176
    Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A good way to practice is to start and end each session with a serious accuracy target. Shoot like you have money on the outcome. Try for all 10 rings. If you cannot fire a tight group, keep shooting for accuracy first.

If the first group works well, start working on speed drills. 2 rounds per target, then switch to a second target.

So with the 5 bull target you are using, shoot a 10 round accuracy group at the middle bull. Then shoot 2 round at each of of the 4 bulls as fast as you can, still hitting the target.

Replace target and repeat the 2 shots per bull drill. Finally, the last 10 rounds of the day, shoot and accuracy group.

And mix up your targets. Don't shoot the same type of target every time. There are a number of printable targets available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom