• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    So having just learned this a "drop in"on a standard lower...is it worth doing? Cost efdective as an alternative caliber? My understanding is that even PMags "can" be used (limited capacity and not perfect) and even the standard buffer too. Educate me lol. I'm intruiged. Have a 30-06 bolt gun and ammo I'll trade for an upper. Just sayin lol

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    When I was looking into one about a year ago, I saw that the balistics for the Beowulf round were quite similar to a 12 ga. rifled slug. Other than the novelty of owning a .50 cal., I already had a 12 ga. so I bought a 6.8 upper instead.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Shooting / hunting partner #2 has one. He likes it . I've fired it .If you handload , it's comprarable to most cals , albeit the initial brass is expensive. It was an upgrade over his earlier .50AE upper .

It is certainly more than capable of taking any deer , black bear , or wild boar.

When we have our good natured debates involving either fire or adult beverages , I point out that similar momentum in a .45cal envelope would have greater penetration , and still be a substantially big hole. In an AR platform this would be a .458SOCM . For that matter a warm-ish .45-70 from my Marlin would probably have similar rate of aimed fire.

I don't know if this is a thumbs up or thumbs down. It is what it is. If you Want one that's all the reason you need.

Ps I we have the same bullsessions over .50AE vs heavy bullet .45Colt.

No he's never watched a rap video , but can shoot his 50 DE like other people shoot .40s. Just to tick him off , I shoot his .50 one handed.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Interesting points. I guess the goal/idea was to find a drop in option that at most requires buffer/mag swap but remains relatively "common"...by which I mean not an arm and a leg for ammo. 458/6.5/6.8 are also interesting to me. Heavier is definitely the point, mag cap isn't.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The Beo's definitely a thumper, and a fun one at that. I just don't care for Alexander Arms - which your pretty much locked into if you do the Beo, to the best of my knowledge anyways.

At least with the 6.8 you have some options in maker, and even the ammo is more available from what I've seen.

For throwing heavy rounds at shorter ranges, I still like my 300BLK. All the common parts of an AR (minus the barrel), just a bigger and heavier round. My 225gr OTM Match rounds definitely have some weight to them.

There's also the .450 Bushmaster to consider too.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I could never see the point to the .450 Bushmaster. The concept revolves around a .452 light quasi pistol bullet at comparative high vels. Lacks the capability for heavy bullets of the .458 SOCOM wich uses actual .458 rifle bullets.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I could never see the point to the .450 Bushmaster. The concept revolves around a .452 light quasi pistol bullet at comparative high vels. Lacks the capability for heavy bullets of the .458 SOCOM wich uses actual .458 rifle bullets.

True, but it was just another 'heavier than 5.56' option that came to mind.

The last one I shot was actually quite accurate at 100 yards as well, although it was wearing a variable power Leupold.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I'm a late adopter, I want to know which round is going to win in the "thumper" game before I commit. There are a couple of options and I have looked at them all over the years but just couldn't commit.

I don't want a dead round down the road. However, I don't know which one that is yet.

The .50 is neat but I think the 45's are more to my liking since they'll have a bit more range and more bullets available for them. Depends a lot on your use. At 100yds any of them will put a hurt on something!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If there were more sources for 50 Beowulf ammo, I might be more interested.

458 SOCOM, kind of the same boat - it's out there, but doesn't seem like there's many people actually rolling it out.

In the interim, I'll stick with my current setup. Handloading, and 300BLK.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I went with the 50AE upper due to the ease of finding ammo for it. With the Pac-Nor hand reamed competition barrel and standard carry handle sight, I can cloverleaf three shots at 100yds on a pretty consistent basis.
    I'm happy I went with this particular "off" caliber for my big bore AR.

50 Beowulf looks fun too!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I've got the 450 Bushmaster upper and I love it, killed several deer with it around 100 yards. Had a little trouble breaking it in, the thing shot all over the place, but once it settled down its been very accurate.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Test

OK good. Guess the site dropped for a min, kept getting a weird Cisco login screen on my phone.

Anyway now I'm less sure lol good options out there

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    So having just learned this a "drop in"on a standard lower...is it worth doing? Cost efdective as an alternative caliber? My understanding is that even PMags "can" be used (limited capacity and not perfect) and even the standard buffer too. Educate me lol. I'm intruiged. Have a 30-06 bolt gun and ammo I'll trade for an upper. Just sayin lol

So I am in the mood to educate...

First the 50 Beowulf is a fun cartridge. Very accurate and powerful.

1) HAND-LOAD!!!!

If you are not already doing this, start doing it. Not only is it cheaper to shoot but you are guaranteed the consistency and accuracy of your ammo. This applies to all of your calibers.

Plus with the way this political nonsense is going you may find it harder and harder to get ammo online or even components. So start stocking up now to hand load.

2) 400gr Bullets.

The 50 Beowulf really shines with the 400gr bullet. In particular I have found the Winchester platinum tip 400gr to be the most accurate bullet to date.

This guy on gunbroker is selling the bullets in bulk. Gunbroker ID: TY1959

I have bought 5000 or so very excellent bullet.

3) Recipe

My favorite load is as follows:

Bullet - Winchester Platinum Tip HP 400gr
    Powder - Hodgdon H4198 (48.8gr)
    OAL 2.180
    10 shot avg is 1765fps

4) The Gun (Upper)

I have my Beowulf on my Ruger SR 556 lower, no modifications to the lower whatsoever and shoots like a champ. I do have a Millennium compensator on my upper which really helps with the reduction of recoil and getting quick followup shots. I highly suggest if you decide to buy a Beowulf that you get one with a Millennium compensator.

This is the upper I bought from Alexander Arms.

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Uppers-.50_Beowulf_Advanced_Weapon_System-Complete_Upper.html I added the Threaded Millennium Compensator.

5) Mags

You can easily modify P-Mags to accept the 50 Beowulf cartridge reliably however you have to follow a couple of simple steps.

*Use a Dremmel with a sanding wheel and sand down the center separator of the P mag. Also sand down a little grove in the front. I've attached pictures so take a look at those.

*lightly sand down the right hand side(ONLY) of the P mag feed lip, the right-hand side being the side that if you were staring at the P-mag with the bullet tip facing you.

Metal mag just slightly open up the feed lips.

6) Accuracy

The attached target is of a three shot group at 200 yards. I have only been able to achieve this accuracy with the Winchester platinum tips so other bullet tips accuracy will be less. Also with my particular load recipe I listed.

I am using a Leupold 1.25 x 4 VX-R hog scope. Awesome scope for the Beo. ( http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-1-25-4x20mm-includes-metric/ )

You will need a laser range finder if you plan on accurately shooting past 200yrds

Attachments

• IMG_1781.jpg
      IMG_1781.jpg
      34.3 KB · Views: 342
    • IMG_1783.jpg
      IMG_1783.jpg
      15.3 KB · Views: 351
    • IMG_1782.jpg
      IMG_1782.jpg
      27.3 KB · Views: 343
    • IMG_1784.JPG
      IMG_1784.JPG
      32.3 KB · Views: 381
    • IMG_1780.JPG
      IMG_1780.JPG
      38.3 KB · Views: 341
    • IMG_1757.jpg
      IMG_1757.jpg
      36.8 KB · Views: 343
    Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I had one of the first Beowulf rifles available and I really liked it alot. Since I don't hunt hogs and in my own personal opinion, this round kicks like a mule, I sold it many years ago. Back when I bought mine, ammo was so rare to find anywhere. As a matter of fact, I couldn't get any ammo when I directly ordered my upper from Alexander Arms themselves.

I like the cartridge, I think it has it's place. It was born to hunt hogs. I think it could also be a very good Urban round too, for those needing something like this.

But I sold mine mainly because of the lack of ammo. The reloading dies were just coming out when I sold mine, so maybe components are more readily available.

I think if you want one, you have to buy one. Get it, shot it, then you can decide if you want to keep it. I didn't lose any money when I sold mine and with the prices today, I doubt you will lose any money either.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

ps I recently found an unopened box of Alexander Arms 50 Beuwolf 325 gr HP. If anyone wants them, how does $30 sound? BTW, it's 20 rounds to a box. Will also consider trades for 9mm and 45acp.

Last edited:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I ended up thinking, although slightly more accurate, I felt there is nothing the .50 Beo does for me that made it worth the cost over having a Saiga 12. I had one but since the 50 Beo doesn't really have a tremendous advantage until around 100 yards, I figured I might as well sell it and run the 12 gauge.

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    I wish 50AE uppers were more common... .50 fun, and the round is much more established...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom