• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have a .50 cal. T/C New Englander, with one of those "compromise" 1 in 48" twist barrels, that I was never able to shoot patched round balls out of with any accuracy.

So a couple of years ago, I bought a few boxes of 350 grain T/C Maxi Hunters, and got them to shoot somewhat better (<1" groups at 25 yards.) I stopped playing with it though, and put it away - until now.

Has anyone else had any luck shooting these out of a slow-twist barrel? I want to develop a load that's accurate out to 100 yards and beyond (I may need to scope it for this, though, as my eyes aren't what they used to be.)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    They, I think they were called Maxi Balls back in the day, shot better than anything else out of my TC hawken .45 1:48 twist.

Have you tried sabots?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Yes, Maxi-Hunters are just Maxi Balls with a hollow point. I haven't tried sabots, because prevailing wisdom seems to say that a 1:48" twist is too slow to stabilize them.

Besides - to me, using less than the full caliber that your rifle is made for seems counterproductive. I'll never need my T/C to hit anything past 100-125 yards, so having a fast flat trajectory, the only point of using sabots that I can tell, isn't all that important.

Last edited:

Twanger

DINO and NRA Life
    Mar 4, 2013
    Poolesville
    I shoot Hornady Great Plains hollow point 385gr conicals out of my 50-cal 1:48 twist gun.
    They go 1.5" at 50 yards (with iron sights)

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I shoot Maxi Balls and Maxi Hunters in my Omega. It has a faster twist rate but they are great out to around 100+ yards. One thing to remember is this, a Maxi Hunter is softer lead than a Maxi Ball. I could shoot the Balls with around 100 grains of 777, but had to drop back to 90 grains of powder with the Maxi hunter. If you push them too hard the lead will shave off on the rifling and you will lose accuracy. I would use poured powder and work up from around 75 grains. What powder are you using?

Vince

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    I shoot Maxi Balls and Maxi Hunters in my Omega. It has a faster twist rate but they are great out to around 100+ yards. One thing to remember is this, a Maxi Hunter is softer lead than a Maxi Ball. I could shoot the Balls with around 100 grains of 777, but had to drop back to 90 grains of powder with the Maxi hunter. If you push them too hard the lead will shave off on the rifling and you will lose accuracy. I would use poured powder and work up from around 75 grains. What powder are you using?

Vince

I heard best accuracy can be obtained by patching the maxi-loads with maxi-pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom