• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I was lucky enough to score a Winchester 52C back almost 20 yrs ago when the CMP cleared out the Army's stock of match .22 rifles. (I wish I had tried to also get a Rem 40X at the same time.) When I got it back then, I bought Redfield International sights for it. At the same time, I also bought a Vianni mount for a scope. Recently, I used it for a couple NRL matches after re-mounting the Vianni and acquiring a decent high magnification scope. However, I was too nervous about messing up a "survivor", along with the difficulties of trying to transition shooting positions with that loooonng barrel. OTOH, it would be very well suited to any NRA Smallbore match.

JoeR

Last edited:

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    I was lucky enough to score a Winchester 52C back almost 20 yrs ago when the CMP cleared out the Army's stock of match .22 rifles. (I wish I had tried to also get a Rem 40X at the same time.) When I got it back then, I bought Redfield International sights for it. At the same time, I also bought a Vianni mount for a scope. Recently, I used it for a couple NRL matches after re-mounting the Vianni and acquiring a decent high magnification scope. However, I was too nervous about messing up a "survivor", along with the difficulties of trying to transition shooting positions with that loooonng barrel. OTOH, it would be very well suited to any NRA Smallbore match.

JoeR
    Nice find with the C.
    You can't hurt em.
    And a barrel swap or a original extra to shorten and stock if necessary won't hurt for nrl game.
    They out perform any vudoo or rimx or cz.
    And were designed to compete. For generations lol.

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    Is the Win 52C the grail gun? Haven't heard much about A or B or even D.

The early preA or A have a strong military 1920s style and feel trigger.

The B has a improved "speedlock" trigger realistically without modification, 2lb minimum, as well as the beefier marksman style stock on the heavy barrel version but still has barrel band from the forearm around the barrel

The C has the same stock , but a new " micro motion trigger, capable unmodified of 14oz or so.
    But all 4 of these versions were repeaters with a magazine.

The D, E, are single shot only.
    Slotted rail under firearm for accessories.
    No barrel band.
    Same trigger.
    But new tighter chamber because hand fed ammo.

The "grail" would be the 52C Sporter
    At above 5 grand

Or a E , especially the International at 3 grand

Accuracy on the whole 52 line from 1919- 1980 was, is, still extreme compared to most any other 22s.

The 52 was 1 of only 2 rifles winchester produced with factory, hand lapped, hand finished barrels to maintain a precise, smooth, tight bore

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Winchester 52C is what our club used at Ft. Eustis Jr. Rifle Club. I didn’t know at the time how good they were. Should have been obvious I guess since they were club’s target rifle of choice. There were also 2 40x Rems floating around.

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    Winchester 52C is what our club used at Ft. Eustis Jr. Rifle Club. I didn’t know at the time how good they were. Should have been obvious I guess since they were club’s target rifle of choice. There were also 2 40x Rems floating around.
    Had or shot wm all.
    Without a doubt world class

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Anyone enjoy or compete with 52 winchesters?

I was on the prowl for a 52 but after a half year or so of earnest looking, I was alerted about a project undertaken by Kimber at the time; and,

Wound up with Kimber ‘All American’ #390 (of 420 total)

At the time I purchased a set of Redfield ‘Palma’ rear and front sight w inserts to shoot 3-position with it; however;

I just mounted a Match Pro on it for my nephews daughter to participate in PRS with!

I just missed an oppty at a Rem 40x from its original owner … now I’m wondering if he doesn’t also have a 52 or two he might be selling (due to age and health :-(

Attachments

• IMG_8989.jpeg
      IMG_8989.jpeg
      211.7 KB · Views: 20
    • IMG_8990.jpeg
      IMG_8990.jpeg
      235.5 KB · Views: 21

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    I was on the prowl for a 52 but after a half year or so of earnest looking, I was alerted about a project undertaken by Kimber at the time; and,

Wound up with Kimber ‘All American’ #390 (of 420 total)

I just missed an oppty at a Rem 40x from its original owner … now I’m wondering if he doesn’t also have a 52 or two he might be selling (due to age and health :-(
    Nice piece.
    There's lots of 52s out there still being used.
    But there's more hidden away in "collections " that nobody will see or enjoy till that owner passes.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I have used 52's since the late 1960's, they were considered the gold standard of small bore competition at that time. Winchester did a great job of making a competition winning rifle for a long time.
    The early triggers are good, nice and crisp but can't be adjusted for a low pull weight, rules at the time required the triggers to lift a 3lb weight to be able to compete so there was no need to have an ultra light trigger. 52C's and later had a better trigger and could go lower.
    I've owned a few B's and always felt the B trigger was good considering the weight requirement, shooting various 52's have had B's give me some of my higher scores so they may have a better barrel but hard to judge as all the 52's shoot well.
    Last remaining 52 I still have and shoot, a 52B with a Unertl.

IMG_2003.jpeg

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have used 52's since the late 1960's, they were considered the gold standard of small bore competition at that time. Winchester did a great job of making a competition winning rifle for a long time.
    The early triggers are good, nice and crisp but can't be adjusted for a low pull weight, rules at the time required the triggers to lift a 3lb weight to be able to compete so there was no need to have an ultra light trigger. 52C's and later had a better trigger and could go lower.
    I've owned a few B's and always felt the B trigger was good considering the weight requirement, shooting various 52's have had B's give me some of my higher scores so they may have a better barrel but hard to judge as all the 52's shoot well.
    Last remaining 52 I still have and shoot, a 52B with a Unertl.

View attachment 461071
    That looks just like the 52B I sold about 10 years ago. I had all the original parts with the rear peeps and the hooded front sight. I think it had a 20X Unertl scope on it. Did you acquire that from a member here?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    That looks just like the 52B I sold about 10 years ago. I had all the original parts with the rear peeps and the hooded front sight. I think it had a 20X Unertl scope on it. Did you acquire that from a member here?

No, not from here, the Unertl that is on it now is a 14X, it does have the Redfield's and a homemade box also.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Nice find with the C.
    You can't hurt em.
    And a barrel swap or a original extra to shorten and stock if necessary won't hurt for nrl game.
    They out perform any vudoo or rimx or cz.
    And were designed to compete. For generations lol.
    I had my 52B from when I was 16 to when I sold it 10 years ago. It was petty much a safe queen. The last time I took it out it wasn't shooting as well as my CZ455. I keep wondering if the longer barrel and tight bore were slowing the rounds down when I was shooting match ammo. When I was younger and shot cheap hi velocity ammo it seemed to shoot much better. I got $2K for it with 3 mags (expensive), a sling, a nice Unertl scope, two sets of rear peeps, the hooded front sight, and all the inserts for the front and rear peeps. Maybe should have held onto it but I needed cash more than the 52B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom